Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Line
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
914werke
Made a little progress dressing up the LE 2.0
Looking at replacing the fuel lines and wondered
about what was original.

Braided Cloth German high presure lines...

How many still have the plastic sheath that covers
the return line at the front of the eng.?

What about the inj. to rail elbows?
Did all the have swedged on elbows from the factory or
did they have simple clamped lines back in the day?
Was it a period in time change over? When?

What about the feed line...was it fastened to the upright tin?

confused24.gif idea.gif rolleyes.gif
914werke
What no one?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 26 2008, 12:12 AM) *

Made a little progress dressing up the LE 2.0
Looking at replacing the fuel lines and wondered
about what was original.

Braided Cloth German high presure lines...

How many still have the plastic sheath that covers
the return line at the front of the eng.?

What about the inj. to rail elbows?
Did all the have swedged on elbows from the factory or
did they have simple clamped lines back in the day?
Was it a period in time change over? When?

What about the feed line...was it fastened to the upright tin?

confused24.gif idea.gif rolleyes.gif

Well, I was a holdout for the braided lines for a buncha years, but have caved in. For safety & longevity go with the coated lines.

I do still have the plastic sheath (mine is not an LE), cause I like it.

Go for the elbows - tried the other way - they crimp! Worth the money.

Pat
davep
Oh-oh, what is this plastic sheath? Do not seem to recall that detail. Am I in trouble or what!
914Sixer
Dave,
In late 73 they went to smooth high pressure fuel line and encased it in a plastic sheath like the ECU wiring harness. I will get a picture and enclose it.
JeffBowlsby
The way I understand it...

There is a photo from the 1973 dealer brochure showing a 2L engine, with the grey casing over fuel hose (braided) and crimped connections. I have thought this was factory original from at least the beginning of the 1973 year (it was the first 2L) through the 1976 model year production year, and probably original from the beginning (1970).

Then there was the HO recall campaign in 1977(?) effecting every 914, that replaced the fuel lines with smooth wall lines, no casing, elbows at injectors and hose clamps. To me this would be as an 'original' car should be presented today...acknowledging the recall.

Using the braided lines with casing/crimped connections is certainly fine and factory original correct for anyone that wants that look, but there is also a valid position for the recall specs.

bye1.gif
914Sixer
Jeff,
I just checked my large 73 dealer brochure but there is no picture of the engine in it. The 74,75 large brochure has the engine pictures with the fuel lines with the casing.
JeffBowlsby
Busted! You are right...not in a 1973 brochure like I thought, but...

The photo I was thinking of turns out to be from the 1974 large brochure (74USA2, p 6 on my website). In a 74 brochure yes, but it is of a 1973 2L engine because it shows the TS2 ballast resistor. Do you have a larger copy of that photo? here is mine attached.

edit: Looking at this photo, I cannot tell if it has the fuel line casing..(?) Maybe it was a different photo I am thinking about...maybe in DGVWPB?
JeffBowlsby
Here is a better factory shot of the 73 engine (see the TS2 resistor?), showing the plastic casing and fuel line crimped conections. The crimped connections and a special mounting tool are available though McMaster Carr if anyone still wants them.
914werke
Jeff do you have a pic of the reverse angle?
I see the forward sheathed fuel line is routed over the top of the
engine rather than "through" the induction and wiring?
That is diff that motors I have seen.
Im still curious as to the routing and attachment of the R. fuel line.
Bleyseng
That is the only shot of a 73 2.0L engine from the 914 brochures and it is a pre-recall shot as those crimp clamps weren't used when they replaced the fuel lines. You can get those crimp clamps from http://www.germansupply.com and the tool as some bus guys look that OEM look..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.