Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fresh air blower fan - i'm an idiot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
So I am working on adding a screen to my fresh air intake in the cowl to keep leaves from getting into the car and clogging the drains. Seems like a good thing to do right?

Well anyway, I decided to clean up the blower motor, so I removed the plastic impeller fan... Not so easy. I pounded so hard on the fan that I warped it and now it vibrates like a mofo... My primitive attempts to rebalance the thing have failed. So now I need to add another blower fan to my list of parts for this project. mad.gif

Anyone in the bay area have one of these fans around before I go off and try to buy another one?

I think the moral of this story is don't remove the plastic fan from the motor unless you REALLY have to. Even if you don't break anything getting it off, you'll probably still screw up the balance and have a very noisy fan when you finish.
Eric_Shea
I gots one in my 74 just sitting there waiting to be yanked...

I'll take "One MILLION Dollars" for it... Oooooooops, sorry I was stuck in a previous post with Miles. Couldn't get that out of my head.

Let me know if you want it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 11 2004, 05:03 PM)
My primitive attempts to rebalance the thing have failed.

they have little metal clips attached to some of the plastic blades to balance it ...

use those to re-balance. should work just fine.
Andy
mightyohm
Andy, do you have a technique for rearranging the clips? Just move them until it gets better??
SirAndy
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 12 2004, 12:25 AM)
Andy, do you have a technique for rearranging the clips? Just move them until it gets better??

yupp, that's what i did. do it while the fan is out of the car. wink.gif

Andy
Drums66
If you study it real close.....you might see the imprints where they were seated(clips) wink.gif
mightyohm
I do see that, and where the clips WERE doesn't work anymore. I really did a number on the fan... I must have warped it somehow. I managed to make it a bit better by moving ALL the clips to one spot. Maybe I will play with it some more but the more I think about it the more I am thinking this is good enough. With the engine on I probably won't even be able to hear it now. Before it was like a lawnmower.

Thanks Andy. smile.gif
3d914
Not to hijack a post wink.gif , but while we're on the subject of fans . . .

I just cleaned the discusting contacts for the fan blower (just below the ash tray). I now get Low, & Med, but High doesn't do anything.

Anyone come across something similar?

TIA,
SirAndy
QUOTE(3d914 @ Jan 12 2004, 11:23 AM)
Anyone come across something similar?

make sure it makes contact!

use a multimeter to test. if that turns out OK,
your blower motor might be shot ...

i had to use 2 old ones to make one good one. wink.gif
Andy
Bleyseng
Check your cleaing of the traces again and make sure the high trace is in contact with the high arm on the slide switch. Pull the radio to see how and what is going on.
I have noticed that on the high trace a bit of the plastic seems to melt and form a bump that prevents the good contact. Look for that as it prevents the full contact.

Geoff
mightyohm
How do you get the metal clip that holds the control cable in place back on?

Just spent almost two hours fidding with it and could not get it on with the blower installed on the car. The cable doesn't seem long enough to be able to put the clip on first and then install the blower assembly.

I can get the clip in place but it doesn't want to latch on.
3d914
Geoff,

You're right about the plastic build-up. I had to use an xacto knife to trim it away from around the third contact, but the fan still won't go into high.

It might be that the contacts are picking up, and not touching. I'll bridge it with a wire to verify that its getting volts - and see if it runs. If not, then that tells me it must be down the line or in the motor.

Thanks.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 12 2004, 11:59 PM)
The cable doesn't seem long enough to be able to put the clip on first and then install the blower assembly.

it barely fits, make sure the flaps in the front are in the right position to give you as much cable as possible for each knob.
then, you got just enough to tighten them down on the control.
the control has to be half slid into it's mounting place.
you can access some of the cable holder from the top,
and/or through the radio opening and/or from underneath the dash.

it's a major PITA headbang.gif
Andy
mightyohm
Andy, the cable I am trying to get the clamp onto is the one on the blower itself, that controls the flap inside the air box. I never removed the control console so fortunately I do not have to worry about that part. The clamp is that little metal piece that holds the sheath in place. It was hard to get off too, I broke the old one getting it off.

Last night I was kneeling in the front trunk trying to get my fingers onto the clamp enough to hold it while I used pliers to try and snap it into place. It was not working very well. Very uncomfortable working position and access is very limited underneath the blower once you put it in place.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 13 2004, 01:01 PM)
Andy, the cable I am trying to get the clamp onto is the one on the blower itself, that controls the flap inside the air box.

ahhhhh, i did that too. wink.gif

f**ed it up the first time, when i still had the gas tank out,
didn't recognize until after the tank was back in. headbang.gif

take all the crap off the top of the tank, expansion tank and all,
that'll help a bit. after you tighten down the cable with the screw, use plyers (sp?) to snap the clamp back on.

it's a tight space, but it'll work. again, move the lever on your heater control in whatever position that gives you the most cable on the blower end to work with.

i did it and so can you! cool.gif
Andy
tracks914
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 12 2004, 11:59 PM)
How do you get the metal clip that holds the control cable in place back on?

Very difficult to do. It took me about 2 hours and had very very sore fingers when Iwas done. I had to do the one under the dash too, lying upside down with a flash light in my mouth...I mean under my chin. Not fun but it does go back on with patience. The one in the front trunk I dropped (it popped off) and fell between the gas tank and firewall. Yup gas tank had to come out to get the clip. I didn't want to take the chance it would wear a hole through the tank even though I had a spare clip.
headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
mightyohm
I am pleased to announce I discovered an easier way to get that clip on tonight. This was after another hour of trying to get it on and feeling generally very frustrated.

Remove the blower motor assembly from the air box. Two 8mm bolts hold it in place.
Attach the cable (and clip) to the blower assembly. This is now a LOT easier to do because you can flip it at least mostly over and actually SEE what you are doing.
Install the air box with the two 10mm bolts up top.
Bolt the blower motor assembly back up to the airbox. This takes a few minutes to get the bolts lined up but it is a hell of a lot easier than trying to get that clip on.

Ta-da.

Jeff smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.