Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 009 vs. stock 1.8L dizzy for dual carb setup
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete914
...let's talk some more.
I'm converting to dual webers from a single holley weber setup. Running a stock 1.8L dizzy with vacuum advance hooked-up. What are your suggestions/opinions for switching to a centrifugal advance 009. I know some people hate them, but the advance curve is steep and good for carbs so I'm told. Further, I just picked up a shiny new 009 off this site as it was recommended to me by people at AA for carb setups.
Before we say anything about the mallory unit, of course I would love one of those, but I would also love to install a 6-cylinder...
Would I be better off keeping the 1.8 stock dizzy and not hooking up the vacuum advance?
Right now my single carb setup is dealing with getting bogged down in the low rpm range (timed to 27 degrees BTDC)...seems like the advance curve isn't steep enough.
So, 1.8 stock dizzy vs. 009; opinions appreciated.
type47
dizzy swaps are easy enough so i'd say install the 009 and tune it and see what you think of it. easy enought to swap back. however, i don't have carbs and don't know the effect of timing incorrectly. i looked at your advance and thought d-jet advance and thought there is a conflict with your 1.8L. i'm sure you have that worked out.
computers4kids
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 26 2008, 06:34 AM) *

i looked at your advance and thought d-jet advance and thought there is a conflict with your 1.8L.

1.8s, are not generally timed by full advance, they are timed at 850 rpm...then of course that is with FI. I'm sure the gurus will set us straight using carbs.
alpha434
The stock vacuum advance distributor offers more maximum advance. The problem is having a vacuum to actuate it. But it also offers some mechanical advance in addition.

The 009 is mechanical only, as I'm sure you are aware. But it will work just fine for your application. Alternately, you can use one of the numerous aftermarket options out there.

Just put it together. If it runs, great. If it doesn't, then we'll still be here.
alpha434
Also,

Vote for Mrs. K, or bad things will come of your carb conversion.
jr91472
FWIW

I was advised by a long time and well known 914 mech (here in DFW) that the stock 1.8L dizzy w/ vac advance connected was the best adv curve match (of stock dizzy's) for dual carbs. Part Number: 022 905 205 AA or AB.

I eventually found such a dizzy and matched it with a Crane Allen Fireball ignition system and .....wow. All of my carb tuning issues virtually dissappeared. I have been running this for about 2 years without issue.

I am a huge believer in the Crane Allen Fireball system. Super reliable.

good luck
beer.gif
pete914
Interesting, where are you hooking up the vacuum advance? Do IDF 40's come setup to do this?
Brando
Even without the vacuum advance and retard connected the stock 1.8 distributor will provide the proper amount of advance. On stockers the vacuum advance was disconnected because it gave way too much advance.

the 009 only provides a total of 22ยบ (not enough) and gets there way fast. You have to have a 009 modified (different weights and springs) to properly work with a Type 4 and your application.
jr91472
QUOTE(pete914 @ Feb 26 2008, 12:36 PM) *

Interesting, where are you hooking up the vacuum advance? Do IDF 40's come setup to do this?

My Dell's have a vac advance port.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.