Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who has a silver 914...choosing which silver to paint.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
It's time to start painting the engine compartment, jambs etc and I would like to paint the car one of the Porsche silvers. According to the clubs paint code info, this is what came on these cars. I'm painting a 75 which all the ugly to get places are still the original siver (up behind gas tank...blower area), but since I backdated this car with 72 bumpers and a complete baskweave interior including the dash, I don't think the exact silver matters that much. Obviously I'm not tied to orginality.

Looking for some examples of cars painted these silvers. My first 914 was the marathon blue, which I liked but that was a loooonnnnng time ago.

L96M....Marathon Blue Metallic 73-74
L97A...Diamond Siver Metallic 75-76
L96D...Silver Metallic 69-75
rmital
L96D
rhodyguy
if L96D is on the jam tag, that's what i'd go with.

k
Van
Another L96D

JRust
Tough to beat silver Mark. I love silver on a 914 piratenanner.gif . As Kevin Said stick with what is on the door jamb. May not be totally original with the backdationg but it's cool. Most would agree it's worth more with the backdated bumpers than with those FUGLY 75-76 rubber beasts confused24.gif
TravisNeff
I like the carerra GT silver it's almost metallic grey, not a period color for the 914 but sure looks great on one.
purple
I have a L97A car that was painted red by the P.O. dry.gif

I also have the 'rubberbeast' bumpers and you're hurting my car's feelings with this talk. Be nice! mad.gif

anyway, i was going to have the car taken down to the base coat and repainted in original L97A when i've got a couple grand laying around av-943.gif

i was also going to backdate the bumpers using fiberglass replacements painted black
davep
L97A is essentially the same as L96D, just a reformulation since the L96D did not stand up well.
TeenerTim
IPB Image
Maaco Silver
dakotaewing
Not sure which silver...
But the car looks awesome -
dakotaewing
Different cars -
rhodyguy
i'm cool with the backdating jamie. i backdated my 73' front bumper. huh.gif
geniusanthony
Click to view attachmentI am in the same place you are, I am thinking a silver base and can-am theme from the LE's

oh well , send the comments smoke.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(davep @ Feb 26 2008, 09:34 AM) *

L97A is essentially the same as L96D, just a reformulation since the L96D did not stand up well.

PO had destroyed jam tag when it was painted white headbang.gif So I presume the silver on the car has to be the only stock silver (L97A/L96D) for that year? Is there anywhere else on the car that provides a paint code?

Some pretty sweet looking rides!
jonferns
Heres another pic of Rays (rmital) silver 914.

Click to view attachment
John
Here is mine.

It was originally L96D, but it is L97A. When I bought my paint on 06-07-1993, they couldn't find L96D in their code book. After mixing the paint, they found the code and gave me the option to either take the L97A at a discount or they would mix the L96D.

Being the CSOB poor college kid, I opted for the discounted paint. I asked them what the differences was. They said the L96D had a tiny bit smaller metal flakes and had a little more black in it. At the time, I didn't care and I like the way it looks. Since I have the exact Sherwin Williams paint codes, I'll keep it this color.

Close enough for me.

jim912928
I had mine sprayed with Porsche Arctic Silver (2005 model year)
nsr-jamie
my car is actually tangerine, but it was resprayed Porsche polar silver around 1997 or so...the paint needs some work as well as the body, I was thinking about going back to the original color when I add my new GT flares and repair some rust.

Heres a pic of the car for now.....

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Stardust
My 75 is silver and was faded all to hell when I got it. So I never got to appreciate it's silver paint.
I personally like some of the more modern silver variants. I tend to like a more course silver with some pearl thrown in for some added sparkle.
Oh yeah, mines got the retro bumpers too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.