Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach doesn't funcion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
markwemple
I can't find the wiring diagram that is specific enough about the tach to chase the wires. Plan on cleaning the ground post nearby but don't know where the wire attaches to the distributor or how to check to make sure the tach itself isn't dead. Someone told me that 914 tachs fail more often than most.
Dave_Darling
Make sure the red/white wire gets power when the key is on.

Make sure the grounds are good.

Make sure the black/purple wire at the tach connects nicely to the black/purple wire on the (-) terminal of the coil.

--DD
purple
also make sure fuse # 9 isnt hosed.
markwemple
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 26 2008, 09:34 AM) *

Make sure the red/white wire gets power when the key is on.

Make sure the grounds are good.

Make sure the black/purple wire at the tach connects nicely to the black/purple wire on the (-) terminal of the coil.

--DD

So, that is one wire that I should check for damage. (black/purple)
markwemple
QUOTE(purple @ Feb 26 2008, 09:35 AM) *

also make sure fuse # 9 isnt hosed.

#9 fuse is fine. It WAS one of the circuits giving me trouble, though. All other #9 circuits work, except the wiper motor.
crash914
Mark, the tach wire also goes through the relay plate. The wire should be connected to the same post that the points are connected to. As Dave said, - terminal of the coil.

I can show you. If possible, I do have another tach for sale...
markwemple
QUOTE(crash914 @ Feb 26 2008, 01:24 PM) *

Mark, the tach wire also goes through the relay plate. The wire should be connected to the same post that the points are connected to. As Dave said, - terminal of the coil.

I can show you. If possible, I do have another tach for sale...

Thanks Herb. I still need to come up and pick up the wheel and see what else you have from the great part out!

MAybe I'll take a risk and drive the '14......Um well maybe I'll put on several local miles first!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.