Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Actual Operating Costs for a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
I posted this the other day to the "How Much Do You Have Into You 914 So Far" thread. It is buried back on page seven of the topic, so I thought I'd re-post it under a new heading.

I keep hearing how expensive it is to own a 914, and I wanted to provide an actual accounting of my expenses after 1 year. Please note I do not race, or really put my teener in stressful situations. I have yet to paint it (it's a good fair 50 foot paint job right now), and I have not spent much time on the exterior looks ( I will work on this in late 2008 according to my schedule of work).

So no, it is not a status symbol, a garage queen or an amazing racing machine like many of the cars described in this BBS. However, it is a steadily improviing, very reliable daily driver, of which I am proud to own and drive.

Eric Read

==================================================
Ok. I picked up my 74 2.0L FI on February 25, 2007. Purchased for $3,500.00. Very little rust (no structural problems) Lots of "weird" stuff, like a totally odd (non porsche) alternator on a broken mount. Lots of little items to fix. Bad paint. But very good fundamentals. I drive the 914 to work (and back) every day - it is my daily driver.

One year later, here are the numbers:
Miles Driven: 15,880
Maintenance Professional Services: $2,088.40
Maintenance Parts: $ 1,093.08
Auto Insurance (12 months, Unlimited Miles, Dailyn Driver): $1,200.00
Gas (690.44 Gallons @ Ave $3.20/Gallon): $2,209.41
Oil (30 Qts @ $3.50/Qt): $105.00
Total Amount Expended: 6,609.89
Operating cost per mile: $0.4217

Notes:
1. Cost of car is not included in operating expenses or Operating Cost per Mile.
2. I am a noob to turning a wrench. Prior to March of 2007, I hadn't worked on a car since probably back in 1975. I am a computer geek, so wrench skills were not in my repertoire. My experience is that through the BBS's and the tech articles, there is plenty of step-by-step instructions which makes most maintenance fairly easy. I am performing almost all of my wrenching myself lately, and thoroughly enjoying it.
3. Knowing what I know now (2/25/08) I would have performed all of the professional services myself. I really do not feel I got $2,000 worth of work performed.
4. I have recorded times where I have achieved up to 29 MPG. However, my heavy foot keeps my combined driving at between 23 MPG and 25 MPG.
5. I keep every expense documented in several tabs of a dedicated worksheet.
6. All work is performed via cash - no expenses are being placed on a credit card. This makes my work spread out but financially manageable. I have budgeted about $200.00 per month for parts through December of 2008.

I hope this helps to dispell the "high" cost of owning/maintaining a 914. If you are patient, it can be done on a budget.
messix
short answer is .....

your soul! happy11.gif

i have mine insured with a classic car insurence co and i bought a refreshed tranny at a swap meet for 400 and some interior parts and tune up stuff a body panel bought from club members, all together i've spent way less than you in the three years i've had my car.
prolly about 1500 in maintenance and fixin up stuff.
messix
oh and quit paying people to work on your car!

i'm sure some guys local to you would help you learn how to maintain your car.
Demick
My experience has been that owning a 914 is fairly cheap. I've often thought of selling it and buying a used Boxster or something, but one thing that keeps me from doing that is it will cost me at least $3000 more per year for a newer car.

Some yearly costs:

914 insurance: $400
Boxster insurance: $1200

914 registration: $50
Boxster registration: $500

914 depreciation: $0
Boxster depreciation: $2000

914 maintenance: $1000
Boxster maintenance: very cheap to very $$$$

Demick
7TPorsh
Let's see:

$3500 for a solid driver and driven about 100 miles, then:
Strip down
$900 for evilbay parts
$250 for paint
2.5 years of sanding, wrenching, torqueing, painting, lifting, lowering, fitting, etc. - $blood/seat/tears

When do I start having the real fun?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 26 2008, 09:50 AM) *

Auto Insurance (12 months, Unlimited Miles, Dailyn Driver): $1,200.00

Holy Moly!!

I insure four cars, a motorcycle, and a 4Runner for just a little less than that!
Joe Ricard
If I would ever stop Messing with it the 914 is pretty economical
Brando
I think the question is... how much do you have into your 914 that was necessary to spend, ie: keep it drivable and running.

Necessary Purchases:
2 sets of tires (over the last 4 years): $800.
Materials for oil changes and Valve Adjusts: $200
Oil: $???
New Muffler installed: $80
Throttle Cable: $Free
Clutch Cable: $Free
Air Flow Sensor: $Free
Fuel Injectors: $Free
Intake system tuneup: $40
Points and Condensers: $50
Ignition Switch: $10
Brakes: $200
Windshield: $15
Steering Rack: $Free
------------------------------------
Total: $1395

Over the past 4 years for necessary repairs.

Now, for un-necessary items...

Swaybars front and rear: $150
Mallory Hyfire box and accessories: $240
Stereo: $120
Nice Speakers: $200
LED Lights: $60
Turbo Tie Rods: $120
Door panels: $140
Aluminum threshold trim: $60
Headlights: $40
2056 Engine: $2600 (and counting)
Harnesses: $270
Harness Bar: $100
Trunk Shox: $120
Running Light Kits: $???
035 Distributor: $Free (traded)
-------------------------------------------
Total: $4220 (and counting!)

So... That's a total investment of $5615. Not bad! Just needs paint smile.gif
toon1
$1500 for the car purchase
$350 a year for ins.
$ 59 a year for reg.
???? $$$$ for parts
$1500 to rebuild the engine

the fact that the car has been sitting for a total of 14mos. in the two years I've owned it........... PRICELESS!!!! biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
Hmm, bought it in '95 for $1900

rebuilt the motor for $3000
rebuilt the tranny for $400
new 911 suspension/brake stuff- $1200
new Koni Yellows-$600
new Fuchs-$500
new tires-$500
painted it myself-$500
new black interior-$500
rebuilt the motor again-$2500
extra rims and AX tires-$1000
more rims-$300

lots of gas and oil too-

total-$13900 so far
driven it all the time except for about 3 years total downtime.
computers4kids
I save on gas, oil, tires, maintenance etc by just investing in four jackstands..less than $100. piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.