Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welder Recommendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Todd Enlund
I'm looking into buying a MIG welder to get started on my Teener. I need floor pans, hell hole, and it looks like a bit around the sails.

I just want a 110-120V unit, but I want a quality unit with good heat adjustability. I'm currently unemployed, so I'm on a limited budget as well.

Any recommendations?

I've been looking at a refurb Lincoln SP100T for $390 shipped. Also considering the SP140T and Power MIG 140C, Millermatic 140 and Hobart Handler 140.
drgchapman
I have the Miller. JP knows more about it than I do at this point. He loves it! Get the auto shade helmet....worth the money.
TravisNeff
I love my miller (it's a 230V though). The millers have infinte settings rather than the 1,2,3,4 on the hobart and Lincoln - although there are some lincolns with infinite settings. If I was to give you in order my preference - Miller, Lincoln, Hobart

If you are only planning car repairs with your welder a 110V unit will do just fine.
Todd Enlund
Thanks guys. I did read that the Miller was infinitely adjustable and none of the others mentioned that feature... The Miller costs a bit more than the others, but it looks like it is worth it. A local store has the Millermatic 140 AS for $632.

Hood, Gloves, Gas... anything else?

TravisNeff
Try www.indianaoxygen.com Their storefront is http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/servlet/StoreFront
Free shipping and there are a few people here (including me) that are happy customers.

They have all 3 brands you talk about.

A cart is very handy, almost a must.
Get the largest tank you can, get at least a 80CF tank
Gloves
Helmet (I like the autodarkening units, can be had for cheap at HarborFreight)
4" angle grinder, flap wheels (sanding), Cutting wheels
Some Triangle Magnets

spunone
Don't forget the wire LOL
rfuerst911sc
I have the Hobart 140 and love it. I have welded the GT flares on my car,welded in various chassis stiffening kits, the Rich Johnson /6 engine mount etc. all with this little welder. Hobart is a division of Miller so it's good quality to. Extra tips,wire are a must. I agree on the triangle magnets and if your going to do items like flares the butt joint clamps are nice also. Agree on the cart also.
Porcharu
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Feb 26 2008, 11:29 AM) *

Get the auto shade helmet....worth the money.

Absolutely, get a good with a big window one that lets you adjust the darkness. They cost more but it's worth it - especially if you are doing 'dainty' sheet metal welding on low amps. It's my very next tool purchase.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Feb 26 2008, 02:35 PM) *

Try www.indianaoxygen.com Their storefront is http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/servlet/StoreFront
Free shipping and there are a few people here (including me) that are happy customers.

Gloves
Some Triangle Magnets

Thanks for the link. They are only $17 cheaper than my local store (Maverick Welding), so I'll probably just buy local.

I have a big (234CF) Nitrogen cylinder... I believe that all inert gases use the same valve?

I was wondering if the Harbor Freight helmet actually worked. I'm okay with the disposable nature of a lot of their stuff, but I'd rather not go blind :-)
jd74914
I used my friend's Harbor Freight helmet for a while. It started acting funny (it needed a new cell) and he just decided to get a new helmet. His new helmet was made by Miller and is completely adjustable. Its is way better than the other one. I think the Miller was about $150.

Now I need one. laugh.gif
John
The Miller units sure are nice looking and do a good job. every one of them that I have welded with worked really well.

Still.

I like my 25 year old Hobart Mig-Man. It's a 90 amp unit and only has 4 voltage settings (infinite wire speed settings though). As a 90 amp unit, it does just fine for all my sheet metal and LIGHT structure welding. It penetrates ok on heavier stuff, but is mainly meant for sheet metal.

Whatever you decide, please go with a welder that you can easily purchase parts for (tips, and nozzle parts). I would also opt for a unit that holds a BIG spool of wire. Mine will hold anything up to a 25# spool. I prefer the larger spools.

For mostly sheet metal, I would recommend .023" wire.

They make an EZ-Grind wire which is helpful. Ask your welding supply guy what is available.

Practice, practice, and practice some more. Go dumpster diving for scrap steel to weld together and learn how to put down a good bead.

You will find that the more time you spend grinding down welds, the better welder you will become. I hate grinding.....
porsche914gt
Here is a killer deal on a Hobart 140 with a cart.
$459 brand new, no tax or shipping from Northern Tools.
Good until 03/04.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...06073_200306073
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(porsche914gt @ Feb 26 2008, 05:55 PM) *

Here is a killer deal on a Hobart 140 with a cart.
$459 brand new, no tax or shipping from Northern Tools.
Good until 03/04.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...06073_200306073

Wow... that does look killer.
Van
I've been using a little lincoln for years and have been very happy with it.

An electronic mask is a must, and so it the "gas" kit for whatever welder you choose. Don't use flux core wire...

A gas like stargon (argon/CO2 blend) will provide better results than just CO2.

Get a good mask and the good gas, and soon you'll be welding like a pro.

If you try to cheap out on those things, your results will always be mediocre and you'll be forever frustrated.
Stardust
Millermatics are hard to beat. I learned on them at school and now own a180. I also own a HF helment (self darkening) I think I paid 49.95. It actually works really well and is safe;^) The more expensive helmets seem to be a bit less shaded (practically like clear glass) until you strike an arc.
Which means you can see a little better with a hi-buck helmet.
pjf
I'm using the 120v Miller 135 and can recommend it (paid $569.75 with shipping). One of the things that sold me on it are the all-metal wire drive parts. The rest of the welder is very well made too. I've never used a MIG with steps for voltage and wire speed but I know that when I'm welding under less than ideal conditions (like on a 30+yr old car) I like to be able to infinitely adjust both.
flesburg
My wife just bought me a new welder for Christmas.

I am sure it is more welder that I will need, but it should last me for a lifetime and will handle anything from sheet metal up to 1/2 inch plate for jigs and work tools etc.

It is a Millermatic 212, and is a dandy welder.

PS nobody pays list. She bought it for $400 off list. Something like 1300.

A bit of advise from an old fart....cheap tools are always cheap. If you buy cheap consider them throw away tools, but buy a welder, or air compressor, or plasma cutter to last you a lifetime....Cheap is ok for air tools, or hand electric tools, but anything over a few hundred dollars should be the best you can buy.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Feb 27 2008, 04:18 PM) *

I couldn't resist. I searched for welder buying info. threads and came up with a couple of them Well maybe three or four. OK, almost a dozen. dry.gif

Hmm... the first thing I did was search for "welder", and I came up empty.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Feb 26 2008, 02:35 PM) *

Gloves
Some Triangle Magnets

I got a coupon flyer from Harbor Freight in the mail, so I used a few of the coupons... the notable ones were the helmet for $39 (reg $69.99) and the triangle magnets for $1 each (reg $4.99)
Jax914
I've got the Miller 135 (model is now a 140) with the fully adjustable wire feed and voltage. It has the gas - I use Stargon. Your first project should be a cart...Check out the welding boards - search for cart and you'll get lots of ideas.
www.millerwelds.com

I'm very happy with mine and it's very reliable. Go to your local steel supplier and ask them if they have a scrap bin - it's a great source for practice stuff and also for odds and ends that you can use it in projects.

I've also got a small commercial Arco stick welder for anything really big - but I haven't done anything yet in two cars that the Miller hasn't handled. Last time I used the stick was for my utility trailer frame.

Troy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.