Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: single carb conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gs11x
the 1973 914 I bought had the Fuel injection disconnected and PO started a single weber conversion. I got it running with the carb but I have a couple of questions for the experienced folks on the forum.

1. I think I have all of the major FI parts it looks like the FI wiring harness is still complete. Should I convert it back to Fuel Injection?

2.If I stay with the single carb, Does the stock throttle cable work? Currently the cable seam like it is to short and does not work well with its current routing.

3. If anyone is happy with their single carb conversion can you share any pointers. Mainly linkage and tuning. If you have pictures of throttle cables and linkage that would be great.
jimkelly
how about a nice phot of your engine bay?

stock cable should be fine.

jim
Brando
single carb is a very bad idea.

see if you can convert to dual carbs, or go back to FI since everything's still there. Drivability will be much better with either of those options over the single carb.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brando @ Feb 26 2008, 01:06 PM) *

single carb is a very bad idea.

see if you can convert to dual carbs, or go back to FI since everything's still there. Drivability will be much better with either of those options over the single carb.

+1

Single carbs dont work well on horiz. opposed motors. The intake runners are long and cause pooling of fuel, like the fuel mixture doesnt want to stay vaporized very well.
purple
single carbs will cause a lot of tunability issues and will just generally suck

the throttle cable is long enough if you run it through the engine bay seal instead of the hole off to the side. it still sucks though
SGB
There is a wealth of information right here to figure out what went wrong with the FI. You really shoud go back to that. It may be frustrating at first since it ius apparent that SOMETHING is broken.
pete914
I'm running a single carb now. Works "fine" in the sense that it runs, starts no problem. I guess it depends on what you want out of the car. Right now my gas mileage sucks though. There is some weirdness with lagging on acceleration, etc.
But if you just want to get it on the road ans go from there, single carb will do it.
Here's my single holley setup, soon to be replaced with dual webers...stoked!
IPB Image
IPB Image
Joe Bob
Not the best idea.....
ejm
QUOTE(pete914 @ Feb 26 2008, 11:13 PM) *

I'm running a single carb now. Works "fine" in the sense that it runs, starts no problem. Right now my gas mileage sucks though. There is some weirdness with lagging on acceleration, etc.

I ran a single carb for years. There's nothing weird about it, that's how they are.

QUOTE(gs11x @ Feb 26 2008, 03:05 PM) *

1. I think I have all of the major FI parts it looks like the FI wiring harness is still complete. Should I convert it back to Fuel Injection?

Convert it back if you can. Most of the parts can be bench checked with an ohm meter. See if the pressure sensor holds vacuum. The ECU's rarely fail. Any idea why the PO pulled the injection? Lot's of "FI problems" turn out to be something else. A few years ago I converted back a car using the box of parts supplied by the previous owner. The had replaced the distributor with an 009. The FI distributor in the box had a huge carbon track between two posts. With a new cap and all the original parts the car runs great. Many times the injection is condemmed without really diagnosing the problem.
slackin' at work
you'll never get a single carb tuned.

I'd say live with it and drive your car until you can prep all the FI parts and
make sure they are in working order. then convert it back to FI.

If you had dual carbs the decision would be a little tougher to make.
but with a single the choice has been made for you.

I'll be making the switch back to FI probably this summer when it is too
hot outside to deal with no AC. ('cause Im a wuss). Im running duals so
Im going to just cruise until then.

good luck beerchug.gif

purple
Yeah, I got around 14MPG with my weber progresssive, so fuel milage is ass with them. Mine was WELL tuned from the P.O. when I got it, apparently that was the only thing he did right on the car, because everything else engine-related was pure shit. The problem with dual carbs is syncing. other than that, i've got dual weber 40's on mine and it starts and idles fine after two taps on the gas pedal (who needs choke? NOT ME!) It just needs tuning REALLY bad.

Oh, dual carbs sound f'n incredible
pete914
Purple,
what did you change when you switched from the single carb to the dual? What additional parts do I need to buy? what dizzy are you running?

QUOTE(purple @ Feb 27 2008, 09:50 AM) *

Yeah, I got around 14MPG with my weber progresssive, so fuel milage is ass with them. Mine was WELL tuned from the P.O. when I got it, apparently that was the only thing he did right on the car, because everything else engine-related was pure shit. The problem with dual carbs is syncing. other than that, i've got dual weber 40's on mine and it starts and idles fine after two taps on the gas pedal (who needs choke? NOT ME!) It just needs tuning REALLY bad.

purple
QUOTE(pete914 @ Feb 27 2008, 11:24 AM) *

Purple,
what did you change when you switched from the single carb to the dual? What additional parts do I need to buy? what dizzy are you running?

QUOTE(purple @ Feb 27 2008, 09:50 AM) *

It's not as parts-intensive as you think!
I ordered the dual weber 40 IDF kit from Jake RAby's store. They come with all the manifolds, bracketry, hoses, hose-clampery, t-fittings all that. you might want to get the throttle cable holder from triad west. if you go to their website they have a 'linkage kit' that i hear you can order the throttle cable holder seperately if you ask nicely. I went to o-reilly and got a different T fitting because the one they supplied is much too small to actually use with the fuel tubing i have in the car.
I have a CB rotary fuel pump underneath the fuel tank that solved a lot of issues just by itself. I have a mallory unilite recurved by Jake raby and a mallory promaster e-coil with a ballast resistor. I set it all up and it worked the first time! make sure you adjust your valves correctly or tuning will be a major bitch. It's really straight forward and easy. the hard work is already done if you have a car that drives and runs on a single carb. tossing in duals is a piece of cake at that point.
gs11x
Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I need to go through my box of FI parts to make sure all the major stuff is there.

Has anyone run the Stock Dual solex carbs? I think the were used on the 1.8l models outside the USA according to my Haynes book.
purple
From what i've read, dual solex carbs are reserved only for those in the fifth ring and lower in dante's inferno...
sww914
My favorite quote on the subject of the Holley/Weber single barrels comes from an old carb shop guy that I know- They run rich down low, lean up high, and crappy in between.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.