Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct front roof latches for a '70 914/6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
smontanaro
The right front latch on my /6's roof had stripped threads on the adjuster screws, so it wouldn't keep the roof latched tight. I found a couple people who had some and made one guy an offer, paid him, and they arrived yesterday.

Alas, they appear to be all black, and kind of flat black at that. They don't seem to match what I'm replacing. Have I run into a pair for a later year or did I just buy some this guy had "restored"? Sorry, no pix at the moment. I'll post some comparison shots when I get home later, assuming one of my digital cameras cooperates.

Skip Montanaro
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Feb 26 2008, 04:43 PM) *

The right front latch on my /6's roof had stripped threads on the adjuster screws, so it wouldn't keep the roof latched tight. I found a couple people who had some and made one guy an offer, paid him, and they arrived yesterday.

Alas, they appear to be all black, and kind of flat black at that. They don't seem to match what I'm replacing. Have I run into a pair for a later year or did I just buy some this guy had "restored"? Sorry, no pix at the moment. I'll post some comparison shots when I get home later, assuming one of my digital cameras cooperates.

Skip Montanaro

Skip,

Just looked at my 72's. They are/appear to be unpainted/anodized metal screws - never looked at them before, though.

In your case, I'd be tempted(since you have screws that work) to take a Dremel to them, remove the paint & clearcoat them.

But.....if a concours judge EVER found them incorrect for your six, I'd want to shake his/her hand. Ranks right up there with the ultimate obscure!

Pat
smontanaro
As promised, here are some pictures of the new and old latches. In all three pictures the original latch is on the right. See how different the finish is? Matte vs. glossy and the pivot screw and the adjuster nuts are painted in the ones I just received.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

So, is the latch on the left just from a later model 914 or has it be "resprayed"?

Thanks,

Skip
1970 Neun vierzehn
Skip,
The latches on my '70/4 have a finish like the originals that are shown on the right side of your photos.

Paul
SGB
My 73 has latches with an original finish more simlar to the glossy ones.
smontanaro
Thanks. So '70 and '73 appear to have the glossy finish. I would guess 71s and 72s have glossy finish as well. Anyone with a late model car (74 or later) care to chime in?
Glossy or flat?

Thx,

Skip
SirAndy
here's what i did with a original /6 roof latch ... biggrin.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=65406

shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.