Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk hinge lube
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
pin31
There's a thread in the garage section...a few have said they use WD-40.

I've used spray on dry lube (less messy) and it OK (not great). I'm not a big fan of WD-40 for these types of applications. What did the factory use? White lithium grease??

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(pin31 @ Feb 27 2008, 02:02 PM) *

There's a thread in the garage section...a few have said they use WD-40.

I've used spray on dry lube (less messy) and it OK (not great). I'm not a big fan of WD-40 for these types of applications. What did the factory use? White lithium grease??

Don't know for sure what the factory used, though I suspect white lithium. I've used Wahl clippper lube as long as I can remember.
Pat
pin31
"just a little off the top" !!
pin31
How about other areas that need lube....

What did the factory use? Most stuff is pretty messy..how do you apply..etc....
dw914er
i personally use wd-40, then wipe down after

seemed to work well for every thing that opens and closes
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dw914er @ Mar 11 2008, 08:17 PM) *

i personally use wd-40, then wipe down after

seemed to work well for every thing that opens and closes

One of the nice things about WD40 is that it dries. May look a little messy at first, but wipe down the excess & the rest will become a dry lube. Bad thing is that it doesn't last long at all.

I'm still living on borrowed time with my 36 year old factory rollers, but I don't think lube has been a problem as much as age & MONSTROUS stress on them. I live in fear every time I raise the lid. When they need to be replaced, I will change to a newer compound, or metal.
Pat
IronHillRestorations
I use anti seize, but it's messy.

The other thing I've done is drill down the center of the shoulder bolt and tap it for a grease fitting, drill a small cross hole, and then machine a grease groove around the circumfrence of the bearing surface to intersect with the cross hole. This can be easily done on a drill press. I used a triangular file to make the grease groove.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.