Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porcharu - the cable shifter pics I have
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
byndbad914
Here is the tower in the tube chassis setup. I had made a simple adapter plate out of 3/8" aluminum to mount the tower to the stock location in the stock tub... anyway, you also see a simple aluminum bracket I bolted to the tower and that is where the push/pull cables mount (2nd pic)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here is the simple "arm" I came up with to adjust the fore/aft motion as well as reverse it for mid-engine use. The cable bolts to a round hole, the heim setup that mounts to the trans interface is slotted and I can change the throw length to where I like it by changing position in the slot. I like it nice and tight now, so pretty much maxed out to the right... you also catch a glimpse of how I come in at 90deg for the left/right motion of the H-pattern. I will add another post of a better pic of that.
Click to view attachment

byndbad914
Click to view attachment

looking from the mount bracket towards the trans, you can see I use bronze bushings (you can buy in various lengths at any hardware store and cut to the length you like). I am right in the middle with the left right motion and may tighten that up now that I put a reverse lockout on the shift tower. We'll see how I like it at the track next weekend. Can also sorta see the adapter I made for the trans - it is two pieces and I don't have detailed pics anymore, but really, not that tough to figure out if you do just that, think about it a little bit.

Essentially, I have a part that mounts tight to the input shaft of the trans with a stock tapered pin (look at the end, off the bottom and you can see the pin sticking out a bit as it is longer than my part is thick... oh man... that was dirty laugh.gif ) then I have another part that has 0.005" loose fit over that, held by a slot over the stud I use for left/right input, and that is where I input the fore/aft motion. It isn't pretty but works great, but I suspect you could come up with something more elegant based on that description and your own imagination.

In the pic above, the stud (chrome looking "guide") keeps the outer part from freely rotating around and "flopping". It is just a guide to support fore/aft motion and constrain the outer piece from free rotation.
byndbad914
setup as it was in the stock body... I added a brace to the fore/aft cable mount to remove flexing. It worked rather slick with a heim joint swivel setup as shown, but I bent it once so had to go to larger diam. The alum reversal I built in the tube chassis works much better overall.

Click to view attachment
byndbad914
Here is a shot of the parts I made for the transmission attachment. The yellow/silver adapter is now gone and just use a heim directly to the orange part. The red part is welded to the orange arm, then that slides over the silver part that mounts to the input shaft.

Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
Is that an off-the-shelf shifter? If so, who makes it?
Cheers, Elliot
byndbad914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 27 2008, 10:31 PM) *

Is that an off-the-shelf shifter? If so, who makes it?
Cheers, Elliot

Hey Elliot,

The shift tower is a late model Porsche piece out of anything (such as a Boxster). Using 5/16" cables is key as then you can buy a rod end (then use a 5/16" fine thread bolt directly into the plastic piece the factory cable attaches too) and a quick-disconnect that fits perfectly over the ball at the bottom of the shift handle.
SirAndy
that looks beyond bad ass ... biggrin.gif

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
byndbad914
thanks Andy, again, sorry about your car! (just saw the thread in the Paddock before going to this one...)

Wishing the best of luck in finding the rat fricken bastard(s) that took it. We need to adopt a death penalty for any level of theft IMO ar15.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.