Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailing Arm Adjustable Link
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
For my V8 conversion I want to fabricate some trailing arm adjustable links like the one pictured below. By the looks of things, there's little access when the rockers are in place.

My question is: Those that have them, do you have to remove the rocker (rivets, etc) each time you want to adjust the link (for toe)?

Thanks,

Andys
SirAndy
QUOTE(andys @ Feb 27 2008, 08:39 PM) *

My question is: Those that have them, do you have to remove the rocker (rivets, etc) each time you want to adjust the link (for toe)?

replace rivets with screws ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
brant
you don't have to adjust them....
the beauty is that once you set the toe, it is actually locked in

you only adjust them each time you do alignment.
and yes remove the rockers... yes replace with screws.

I remove my rockers on that orange car after every weekend of use
take out all of the crud compacted in there and also verify that adjustment locks are still tight (part of checking suspension bolts before the next event.)

these toe rods are only necessary on race cars or high G cars.
usually they are only used on cars with full slicks.

brant
John
What size are those heim joints and rod?

All the ones I see for sale are much too large.

Thanks.
jd74914
John, you can get heim joints 3/8" ID and up from Pegasus. I woudl think that 3/8" is the smallest you would want to use.
andys
The load capacity of the 3/8 heim is probably not going to be the issue, but rather the mounting scheme. Those single shear mounts are likely to fail way before the heim. However, the single shear mounting is a compromised solution in this case since you probably want the ability for the heim to allow the outer mount to swing down to make access for the camber shims. A double shear mount where the heim is rotated 90 degrees to the ones in the photo probably won't allow enough movement. As an adjuster and place holder, the single shear mounting would be adequate, me thinks.

Andys
brant
the mount is a bit more complicated than it looks.
there is structural integrity added inside of the long fella's.

again this is a race only item.
even a V8 conversion is not going to produce significantly different lateral loads that require this.. These are on my car due to rear mono-ball custom bearings that benefit from a non-changing toe setting. most cars can not run a true zero locked toe because of bushings and compliance in suspension.

for any car on street tires (even flared large street tires) these braces are non necessary. They are for cars that pull over 1G due to race tires and have the suspension bushings necessitating a rigid toe.

most cars will rip out the inner mounting point WAY before any toe bar will produce any noticeable effect.

brant
John
I really considered these as helpers while setting toe.

I didn't think they would really be under any load once the three bolts in the mount are sufficiently tight, but they look like they would hold your toe setting while the bolts are loose.

Brant, the pic is of your car isn't it? So what size did you use?
brant
John,

I typed out a big long reply and then lost it.
shoot me an email direct

brant914@hotmail.com

SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 29 2008, 11:40 AM) *

I typed out a big long reply and then lost it.
shoot me an email direct

until we get the new server, do as i do:

type your post/reply and before hitting the "Add this" button, do a quick Ctrl-A then Ctrl-C ...

this will copy all the text in your post into the clipboard. if the site stalls on you, simply reload the page and paste your reply/post back in ...

bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.