Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what did you do to your 914 this weekend?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
- i dropped the engine and tranny to replace the front motor mounts.
turned out both were completely broken off. yieks.

- put bright paint timing marks on the fan.

- replaced tranny mounts with 911 sport mounts.

- took tranny off to find out why it was leaking oil into the clutch.
turned out to be a leaky main shaft seal.
my bad, didn't push it all the way in last time i replaced it. sad.gif
soooo, trashed that one and put a new one in.

- added a new oil-pressure sender that has 2 pins, 1 for idiot light, one for actual gauge.

- adjusted valves.

- trashed the (faulty) AAR, took all those stupid vaccum hoses off too,
now all that's left is the venting from the oil filler to the air-cleaner and the hose to the MPS.

- put the engine back in and drove her home from the shop.
30 something miles, with the top off @ around midnight.

gotta love those little cars! wub.gif
Andy
redshift
Did you have someone get started for you?

I find the hardest part is opting to drive, instead of working on it.. need to remember to leave the keys upstairs..

smile.gif

M
Part Pricer
I had pictures taken of me working on the car.

My sister (who is a casting director) suggested me for a national commercial. They wanted some test stills. If all goes well, you'll be seeing me and my 914 on your living room screen in the future.

MDB2.gif
indydad
Assembled shelving and cleaned garage. Found '72 1.7 914 on jack stands!!!! Gotta do something with that. Just kidding............actually started cleaning on engine tin and storing and labeling FI parts.
Jerry
Indy
thesey914
Andy, you'll relate to this....I was blasting my wheels arches to remove the surface rust, unfortunately I had left one breather hose off the left head and guess what? Damn sand gets everywhere and there was some grit in there when I removed the valve cover. The head was covered in aluminium oxide grit headbang.gif
So I've just come in from the garage to warm-up whilst dropping the engine to clean up.

Blasted my rear trunk too.....the sand was still coming out of the various apertures half an hour later and that was only a hand held spot blaster with a 4mm nozzle laugh.gif
iiibdsiil
Spent 2.5 hours detailing the outside and and still didn't get everything. But it does sure look good now.

And I finally replaced the broken rotted out windshield wipers.

- Brett Smith
TheCabinetmaker
I used mine to transport my grandson to braums for ice cream on his 6th birthday smilie_pokal.gif
DNHunt
Adjusted ride heigth

Chased down some different noises since I reinstalled engine. Turns out the rear valance got bent a little and was rubbing against the muffler. Pulled it back out of the way and it sounds fine now.

Tweaked FI. Got O2 sensor working again.

Tried to find out why my CHT gauge and oil temp gauge are not working. No luck there. Oil temp gauge is pegged and CHT gauge doesn't move.

Drove it about 30 miles

Dave
Gint
I did manage to get the dash pad off Sunday. That is one sucky job. I've been busy working on my 67 Chevy trcuk also so I can get it registered and get the city off of my can.
Bruce Allert
Went into the shop, looked at it, gave it a pat on the top & said "good boy", then fed the horses......

...........b
Joe.D
What did I _do_ to it? I evicted it. I parked it outside in the deep freeze and snow.

I needed to use the garage, so I wouldn't have to work outside in the below-zero temperatures/-25 wind chill, to replace the radiator in my plow truck

It was an easy choice to make :-)

<(insert frostbite fingers & shiver smiley)>
Joe Bob
Did the last welding of the jack supports....new pieces in prep for paint this week. Cut the holes for the GT grill, cleaned and prepped the new rubber pieces.....hoping to get it all done as well as the clutch for Dunkel's.
cha914
Washed it and drove it...beautiful mid 60's sunny Texas day...

driving.gif

Tony
boxstr
Got the original carpets back from the carpet cleaners, reinstalled the e-brake handle, hooked up the cables, secured back pad into place, put the seats and adjusters back in and started the car and ran great.
Today is oil change and take pics of underside. And find a box to send a grille to MZ.
CCLINTHAWINGOUT
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
AZ914
Full repaint to Malaga Red.. blowtorch.gif WOOHOO!! Trim starts going on tonight.
Britain Smith
I drove my new 914 over 180 miles...and only used a little over a half a tank of gas. We went from South Bay to Brad's shop, to Mir Beach to watch the sun set, throug downtown San Fra, and back to our home in South Bay. It was a long, but fun relaxing day.

-Britain
type47
sad.gif left mine under the tarp as it's the coldest period of the winter so far. i did place 2 orders; one with pelican and one with performance ordering things like brake pads, wheel bearings, trim odds & ends..... about 8 - 10 weeks until spring smile.gif
L8Apex
Continued stripping the car

Pulled all the cables and wiring out from the car

Removed pedals

Removed dash

Fitted "new" fender to body welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

Stripped wheel wells of paint and undercoating

Stiffened my hood mold

Painted front suspension arms

Balanced car on 2 jackstands

Andy - Brad said that you needed window guts? I still have them. I'll keep them safe in my garage until you need them.

Terrance
KaptKaos
Drove it laugh.gif
Howard
Well, it's really supposed to be done this week (body shop for 1.5 mos cocking around with parts and vacation schedules). Trust me gang, race it, don't leave it in parking lots.

Will be 2003 VW 'Mellow Yellow' and decided that rockers would look good in same color. Stipping the paint and texture material, found lots of bondo. Shit! Now what?
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jan 12 2004, 12:48 PM)
Drove it laugh.gif

agree.gif Stowed the top, rolled down the windows and drove it!!
beerchug.gif Cheers, Elliot
watsonrx13
Continued stripping the car.

Removed the rear control arms, shocks and brakes.

Terrance (L8Apex) sounds like you're a little ahead of me on stripping your car. Any tips on removing the dash?
Gint
Terrance (L8Apex) sounds like you're a little ahead of me on stripping your car. Any tips on removing the dash?

Like I said, just pulled mine Sunday. Planned to do a pictorial and post it here in a new thread after work today. Definitely have some tips for ya. Watch this space...
TonyAKAVW
I picked up my 914 this weekend! Well, a new roller that is.

Its a pretty stripped roller, but it has some nice features..

1. Not much rust - a little welding and I should be fine. This compares with my current chassis which has extremely terminal rust
2. POR-15 in the trunks and engine bay
3. Original color
4. It was free!

Other than that I haven't had much time to look at it closely. I have to finish stripping my '73 body and then have a sawzall party. sawzall-smiley.gif

-Tony
L8Apex
Watson,

I used a little of idea.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif to get the thing out. Since it started as a race car, and is gonna turn into something better than it was before, it didn't have a stock fuel tank in place and no air vent controls. there was a bunch of nuts and bolts around the dash. It's hard to explain (gint can chime in), but I gave my friend a hammer and a screw driver and the thing popped out. haha. It was pissing me off for a while though. When you have all the screws off, it will still be stuck on the threads, so you need to use some brute force to get it out.
redshift
QUOTE(Howard @ Jan 12 2004, 05:24 PM)
Will be 2003 VW 'Mellow Yellow' and decided that rockers would look good in same color.

smilie_pokal.gif

I think I am going aquarius blue! I love those colors.

M
aufaber
Swapped the Springs on my Rennshift.

Mounted one of my new wheels to see what length of stud I was going to need to get in the front.

Tried to start working on a brace, but my scab plate stock as gone missing.

Refound some rust and rivet PO coverup I had forgotten about.

I guess I'll need to make another trip to IMS.
campbellcj
I checked and made sure it was still in the garage (it was). No time or money for much else this month sad.gif

I am gonna do a little bit of fiberglass repair and mods to my spoiler and bumpers (inspired by Paul's recent thread) and learn everything I ever wanted to know about Dzus fasteners.
Aaron Cox
installed cb tall manifolds, linkage and intakes..... aktion035.gif
smrz914
Worked on the LED taillights. soon to be done i hope.
Ray Warren
removed late model radio that the po had installed.
installed a blaupunkt am/fm radio out of a 70 911.
re painted with black satin and installed speaker grilles.
installed a new antenna.
installed a center console. (that was a real treat).
at the end of the day, everything works and
i didn't break anything. mueba.gif
silver six
QUOTE(L8Apex @ Jan 12 2004, 10:29 AM)

Removed pedals

Terrance

Hey L8apex,

I have theory that my sticky gas pedal is being caused by a gummy or poorly lubricated pedal cluster. I've been meaning to get in there and remove the pedals and get at the gas pedal so I can rebuild it and jam it full of lithum. But I can never get myself going on this job because it seems like such a big hassle and those pins you have to knock out scare me.

Give me some encouraging words. Is it easy? Can I get to the gas pedal without pulling out the full pedal cluster? Is pounding the pins out that hold the pedal cluster to the floor and replacing them easy? ANy special tools I should have on hand before I start?

Douglas
URY914
You can change the gas pedal bushings w/o taking it all out but you better have small fingers and like to work laying on your belly. Just take the cotter pin out and the pivot/shaft for the gas will slide out. Than you can change out the bushings.

But I bet it your throttle cable thats binding up, not the pedal itself.

Paul
Neal
I went out to Rich Danhauers and bought a rear reflector and solenoid off his 73, spend some time shooting the shit talking about Suzuki's (we both have 86 GSXR's) his is way faster. I learned alot about 914's.
It was a good day. I am sad my 30,000 mile 2.0 is starting to puff spoke when I shift. This is not supposed to happen. Any ideas ?

Neal
URY914
Stop shifting.
lol2.gif
L8Apex
Douglas,

it's probably your throttle cable, like what Paul said. It's not hard to remove the pedals. Just some nuts and bolts. Since you aren't stripping the car down like some of us here, be advised that you need to remove the master cylinder for the brakes too. Overall, it's not bad. I'm actually gonna get rid of these pedals and install some nice Tilton floor mounted pedals, switch to a hydro clutch and get a new aluminum gas pedal.

IPB Image
dgw
Replaced the muffler and drove it.

damm cheap ass paint burning and stinking and smoking off the new muffler. Why do they do that!?!?!
ar15.gif ar15.gif

I would have put high temp paint before installing if I had known. Oh well, once it finishing burning off and stinking it can start rusting like a proper 914 should. laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
Doug,

It's your throttle cable. The way it enters the bracket. It is at too much of an angle. You need the stock style bracketry or a one off custom cable.

I drove to to Fresno for no apparent reason on saturday.. cutup Chris Reales car on Sunday.

B
Bleyseng
no pics of the damage?
Brad Roberts
I feel bad for Chris.. so I didnt shoot any. The entire frame rail from the bottom flat part to the front of the shock tower is now cut in half.

B
Bleyseng
Ouch!!
Malmz
I actually drove my 914 out of the garage, onto the street, and back in the driveway after I washed a couple of the other cars... Most I've driven it this year! rolleyes.gif

Pulled the worn out convertible top motor out of the Mustang... brushes are worn to the springs... Called Ford today and they want $670 for a replacement. Ain't gonna happen. I thought Porsche parts were supposed to be the expensive ones?!?. I'll see if I can find a rebuilder locally.

I should have driven the 914 on Saturday, it was 85 degrees out when we jump in the SUV to go to the Monster Truck Jam... I love being white trash...

sm
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Malmz @ Jan 12 2004, 09:50 PM)
$670 for a replacement. Ain't gonna happen. I thought Porsche parts were supposed to be the expensive ones?!?. I'll see if I can find a rebuilder locally.

sm

Try a starter/ alternator/generator place. Thats nuts!
GWN7
What year mustang? I have a compleat pump/pistons & hoses from a 67 Fairlane sitting in the garage....
Malmz
I wish... Nope, it's only a 1990. I looked up some used ones for $150-200, but am afraid of their condition. My hydraulics are good so I might have a chance of having the stator rebuild and some brushes dropped in by a local electric motor shop.

sm
Eric_Shea
Rebuilt these...
914werke
I did a little work on finishing my basement. Off'ed a part to Neal ,and Picked up these from the Painters.
mskala
It was -2 degrees F. I pushed the 914 out of the garage (roof off too blink.gif )
and pushed it in the other side, so I could push the Passat in because it
wouldn't start at that temp. headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.