Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Vulnerability
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1970 Neun vierzehn
Jeez, now somebody's taking our cars!

Talk of rising 914 values, the 914 is the "next" 356, 914s going back to Europe, expensive restorations, media exposure, labor-intensive restos', a growing support system, and now.....thefts! I guess we shouldn't be too surprised. I used to think that only the crazies on this Forum would want a 914 but it seems that the 914s profile is no longer that of the "shrinking violet", "bridesmaid" or "also-ran". I guess we all need to be more careful and attentive to our cars environments. Maybe the days of unlocked cars, open passenger compartments and curbside parking could be coming to an end. Andy's loss, at first glance, seems to be a case of either "steal to order" or someone "stalking" a car that is routinely seen in repetitive circumstances. I hope this isn't the start of a trend. We all need to become a little more vigilant, perhaps.

Paul
JPB
This is getting to frequent for comfort for me. I have insured mine to the max as well as everything valuable I own. ar15.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(JPB @ Feb 28 2008, 06:34 PM) *

This is getting to frequent for comfort for me. I have insured mine to the max as well as everything valuable I own. ar15.gif

Just curious what is the max ? dry.gif
Dr. Roger
Stated value means stated value... =)
smontanaro
Maybe one reason our humble cars are starting to be theft targets is because late model cars are very hard to steal - all that key/computer interlock stuff.

Skip Montanaro
Pat Garvey
This month's issue of Hemmings Sports & Exotic Car has a good article on collectors insurance. Should be read by all, to avoid pitfalls.

There is also a VERY nice 914-6 on the front cover & comparison between it and a 246GTS.
Pat
Lou W
I think that we need to think a little different than we probably have in the past with the increase in values of our cars. Keeping them locked in garages, parking them in site when we run into stores, security systems, etc. I have a 1974 Chevy half ton truck, lowered, with wheels etc. there's been a few times that I've been out driving it, people have left notes wanting to know if I want to sell it. These older vehicles are coming into their own and situations like Andy's are going to increase. He has done a ton of work along with, I'm sure alot of money invested....someone new the value, and saw an opportunity to take it. This whole situation makes me sick, I truly hope that this all works out for Andy.
plymouth37
With this increased "intrest" in our cars I now feel good about my car living on jackstands!

"a jackstand a day keeps the theives away!"
LarryR
My wife asks why I freak out every time I have to park my 74 911 somewhere... it is BS just like this. The problem with stated value is that they back pedal like crazy when it comes time to pay. There was a guy with an incredible restored delphi green 914 in Arizona that had a 60K restoration on it. He had a haggerty stated value policy on the car ... Got NAILED by a mini van that ran the left turn light and hit him head on... It was hit so hard that not only was he in bad shape with a couple bad vertibrae but the car was accordianed. Haggerty said ... nah I think we can fix it for 15K!!!
rick 918-S
stupid f"en hotel wireless! I posted two messages and got booted off the signal both times!
MoveQik
QUOTE(LarryR @ Feb 28 2008, 08:58 PM) *

My wife asks why I freak out every time I have to park my 74 911 somewhere... it is BS just like this. The problem with stated value is that they back pedal like crazy when it comes time to pay. There was a guy with an incredible restored delphi green 914 in Arizona that had a 60K restoration on it. He had a haggerty stated value policy on the car ... Got NAILED by a mini van that ran the left turn light and hit him head on... It was hit so hard that not only was he in bad shape with a couple bad vertibrae but the car was accordianed. Haggerty said ... nah I think we can fix it for 15K!!!

That was John here in AZ. FYI, it took some help from Patrick Motorsports and a lot of receipts but Hagerty did give him the stated value. Too bad it wasn't faster & easier but in the end they honored their policy.
RickS
Stated value is about worthless when it comes to a loss. What you want is called Agreed Value. Haggerty, or Grundy are two which offer this - unfortunately, there are also restrictions on usage that comes with Agreed Value as well as the car being locked at night in a garage. The rates are cheap if you can live with the restrictions.

This is no guarantee against some one flat-bedding the car but I installed an ignition kill switch. It was quick and easy and will defeat the amateur looking for a joy ride.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.