Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So what does 1.8 heads do for a 1.7?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I have this rebuilt motor that is offered at a reasonable price to me. It has oversized pistorns and 1.8 heads.

As I understand it, a 1.7 and 1.8 have essentially the same stroke, just different bore.

How do 1.8 heads effect a 1.7 motor?
Thanks
Brando
I think the question should be "how do 2.0 heads effect a 1.7/1.8 motor?"

To answer your original question... they won't too terribly much. They might flow a little better.

valve sizes for 1.7:
In: 39.3MM
Ex: 33MM

valve sizes for 1.8:
In: 41MM
Ex: 34MM.
alpha434
Lol.

Flow= HP

The problem with 1.8s isn't the heads. Well. Spark plug location plays a part. It's mostly the funky fuel injection setup. Is the rebuilt engine going to come with FI? What type?
computers4kids
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Feb 29 2008, 02:26 AM) *

Lol.

Flow= HP

The problem with 1.8s isn't the heads. Well. Spark plug location plays a part. It's mostly the funky fuel injection setup. Is the rebuilt engine going to come with FI? What type?

The motor is setup with djet injection for a 1.7 (not L-jet) and is suppose to run very good. confused24.gif He can't find the MPS, and I forgot to see what color the injectors where...should be yellow. The MPS and injection came from a 73 1.7. The guy spent a lot of money having the motor professionally rebuilt years ago.

Anyway...should I get excited idea.gif
toon1
If I'm not mistaken, the registers is the 1.8 heads are too big for the 1.7's

1.7=90mm bore
1.8=93mm bore
alpha434
It's close enough.

Hey. A deal is a deal. It might run pretty strong. It might just be good for a lot of spare parts...

jr91472
Just a thought...

Don't assume they are 1.8 heads. I have the same setup, but the 1.7 heads were simply opened up to accept the 1.8 cylinders by the PO.

I have heard this is (or was) as fairly common thing. I have no way of telling you how to tell the difference between and 1.8 and a 1.7 head without taking them off and measuring the valves.

sean_v8_914
in post 1 he states it has a big bore. remove the valve cover and read teh casting number does it end in 371 S
Brando
go with a pair of happy 2.0 heads and race your shorts off.
HAM Inc
The 1.8 heads do flow a little better than the 1.7 heads. If the last four digits of the casting # in the rocker chamber are 371s then they are 1.8's. The increase in flow is enough to make a difference if the cam is updated. With the stock cam you won't see much difference.
computers4kids
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Mar 3 2008, 06:35 AM) *

The 1.8 heads do flow a little better than the 1.7 heads. If the last four digits of the casting # in the rocker chamber are 371s then they are 1.8's. The increase in flow is enough to make a difference if the cam is updated. With the stock cam you won't see much difference.

Yes, the heads are definitely 1.8, in fact the owner has reciepts for all the work...the heads are brand new (not rebuilt).

Thanks all for your input...
HAM Inc
If your heads are new AMC heads that are stock then you will see no difference as compared to a 1.7. All of the T4 AMC heads are cast with identical intake ports, regardless of engine size.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.