Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock flywheel weight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
Does anyone know what a stock 2.0L flywheel weighs?

thx
toon1
I thought I remember it being about 14lbs.
yarin
Can anyone confirm? I just bought one on ebay, guy claimed it was lightened to 13.5 lbs?? find that rather hard to believe if the stock weights close to 14lbs..
gregrobbins
17 to 19Lbs? 13.5 should be pretty good for a street motor. I've heard that track motors you want 9 to 12 lb flywheels.
So.Cal.914
I run a 13 lb on mine, I like it. It cut any added weight from the counterbalanced

crank and then some. Rev's nice and quick, good deceleration.
sww914
My feeble memory says 17#. My memory is as about as reliable as a weather forecast, but I still think I'm as right as the meteorologist does.
The lightened one in my car is 7#. It rev's up and down quickly, but it barely idles. I don't care, I only care abut how it runs at full throttle over 4000 RPM's.
yarin
OK good. I actually just bought two flywheels, one that weighs 7lbs. and one that weighs 13.5 lbs. I do occasionally drive on the street, so from what i've read I'm paranoid that going with a 7lb flywheel is going to lead to problems with the crank/fan/shearing bolts, etc etc. Is this really a concern? I use the car for autox, put maybe 500 street miles on it a year. Can I risk damaging the motor running a 7lb flywheel?

Also - I don't plan on tearing down the motor yet, but if I want mount either flywheel, should I have it balanced with the clutch/PP off the car? Don't want any bad vibrations...

Thanks
TheMirror
QUOTE(yarin @ Feb 29 2008, 03:20 PM) *

Does anyone know what a stock 2.0L flywheel weighs?

thx

Here's an answer 16 months later. I weighed one today, 15.3 lbs.
Jake Raby
That 15.3 must have been resurfaced.. 16.5 is the stock non resurfaced weight.
I just weighed one.
BMXerror
I don't know if there's a difference in the 1.7/2.0 flywheels. I cut my 1.7 wheel down, though, and it works great at 12 pounds, even around the street. With a car as light as the 914, there's no need for a really heavy flywheel. BTW, my flywheel was 17ish before being turned.
Mark D.
TravisNeff
same flywheel is used for 1.7, 1.8 & 2.0, AFAIK
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.