Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Willow Springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PatW
Thinking about attending a driving school at Willow Springs, Ca. See www.drivetech.com
Good rep. NASCAR southwest tour cars. web site says the two-day program equals around 120min/64 laps... For you Willow Springs regulars.. Does that sound like plenty of track time?

Pat
Joe Bob
Plenty to get you hooked....
VegasRacer
QUOTE(PatW @ Jan 12 2004, 08:24 AM)
Does that sound like plenty of track time?

It's never enough if you still have gas and tires. MDB2.gif

64 laps should be plenty to wear you out both physically and mentally.
Have fun. It sounds like a good deal.
seanery
I agree. You'll be worn out, but wanting more!
I've never been out there when temps were in the double digits, so you probably won't be AS worn out, but that track will wear you out.
PatW
I know the track is a monster but, I've never been there. About a 5-6 hour drive from San Jose. I got the track-driving "jones" really bad. I don't think I can satisify the need until my bank account is drained. Far as I can see the school is top-rated for the $$, but, not SCCA acredited. (I think) Its not like I'm going to be world champion anytime soon. It just would be nice to have an attainable goal for the wall.

Decisions-Decisions. What will I do with my Tax Refund!.
drew365
64 laps is just about right spread out over two days. But then you'll be sitting home wondering, now what? Why not put some money into your car to make it track usefull and start running with a good club. I think you would put the professinal schooling to better use after you have a little seat time. The first couple of days on a track are very emotional and it's hard to get your head clear to analyze all the data that's coming at you through the windshield. After a few events you calm down and can start to drive with your head instead of the seat of your pants. Just my observation. My friend did the driving school at Willow Spings and he liked it. He said they were on the short track called the Streets of Willow, and not on the big track. Good luck, it should be a blast whenever you do it.
Joe Bob
BTW....going clockwise....on the big track...not streets....sub 1:50 you are doing OK.....1:44 you are doing good, under 1:40....woo hoo.... mueba.gif mueba.gif pray.gif pray.gif MDB2.gif MDB2.gif
TimT
start running with a good club

When I got involved with this madness, I was going to attend Skip Barber at LRP. A good friend of mine talked me out of that. I then started doing DE's with local clubs, having instructors in the car for the first year or so, I got lots of seat time, and instruction from dozens of different teachers.

Skip Barber is like $3000 for 3 days

I think my whole first season ended up costing around the same.... and I drove 12 days, I also installed a rollbar and drivers seat.

Im sure the professional schools give you a big jump start, but there is still nothing like seat time. You can get lots more seat time if you take your $$$ and get involved with a driving club like NASA or PCA ( me thinks POC is big on the left coast)

Most of all have fun!!
PatW
QUOTE(drew365 @ Jan 12 2004, 03:02 PM)
64 laps is just about right spread out over two days. But then you'll be sitting home wondering, now what?

I've been beating my head about that one ever since I did the driving school with Barber at Laguna. WIth the money I've spent at two driving schools and indoor go-karts last year, I could have fixed up my 914 nice. headbang.gif Still I would do it again. My driving skills have improved more in one year than in twenty years of driving on the street. Just looking to get out on the big-track to see if I have skills to do well and not embrass myself. I drove a Formula Dodge last August in the paddock at Laguna Seca, and was amazed at the level of grip and handling (I know! what a rookie) Next step I think I should try is a open track with professional instruction.

So now you are wondering just were is he going with all of this?. If I could achive Driving Instructor level in my PCA Club/Region. That would be just fine with me.

Pat
drew365
You won't embarass yourself. I see guys with a ton of money in their cars and many years experience just puttin around the track. Nobody minds as long as they don't run in the fastest groups. Most club racers are pretty friendly and usually don't take it too serious.
Joe Bob
My first REAL race out there.....I qualified in the middle of the pack......we did the parade lap all in the grid formation......

Came around the last turn and everyone pounded on it.....I almost crapped my pants. I had ear plugs in under the helmet, but the sound of 40+ open exhausts at the same time REALLY shook me up........I got passed by 10 cars before I got it figured out......spent the whole race trying to pass people that I was faster i practice than.

Last two laps, I was chasing this pissant Miata around....coming out of the Budwieser balcony he starts pulling me.....WTF? I ate this guys lunch all day the day before.....turns out he had an adjustable blower in the cockpit and turn it up full boat when he saw me in his mirrors.....hope he splatters..... mueba.gif
drew365
hope he splatters

Now, now, play nice Mikey! ar15.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.