Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ahhh... need d/h shimming advice/ spec. re-check
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
o.k. ... got my undamaged cylinders back from rimco for the 2056 smilie_pokal.gif . got the dished 96mm pistons ready, installed and checked d/h, with a .045 shim in, they were at .044 to .045. i've not rushed this build and am only going the speed it takes to do it right. it's only been down since september! just kinda hoping to have it on the road for my son, kenny's graduation this spring driving.gif .

HERES my questions:

QUESTION#1] i need 8.3:1 max. (as per jake) i'm running d-jet with re-calibrated mps... i have a set of LH 039 modified 2.0 heads w/ 55 cc's + 71 stroke + 96mm pistons + 5.769 cc dished. i ran the formula and am blown away at what size shim i will need, i'd love input if my math is right.

55cc + 5.5cc = 60.5cc
stroke 71cc
bore 96cc
compression 8.3:1
------------------------
shim 1.3"

QUESTION #2] if i'm limited to stacking "no more than 3" shims to get the desired thickness (as i've seen mentioned). i'll be looking locally for shims if possible due to time or may purchase a custom set from jake

mike
McMark
I get an 0.051" shim. wink.gif Good news!!!

Engine Calculator
orange914
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 1 2008, 06:07 PM) *

I get an 0.051" shim. wink.gif Good news!!!

Engine Calculator

your on it!!! thanks, i'll figure out what shim combo's i have, i have a set of .045's, .023's and .010's. i may have to post a WTB. so according to the site you gave i'll need .051 to .062 for (8.1:1 to 8.3:1)

mike beerchug.gif
Joe Ricard
All your cylinders have EXACTLY the same deck measurement.

You better go buy a LOTTO ticket

the best I could do was .002 difference after swapping all cylinders and pistons and rods till it came out like that.
orange914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 1 2008, 07:55 PM) *

All your cylinders have EXACTLY the same deck measurement.

You better go buy a LOTTO ticket

the best I could do was .002 difference after swapping all cylinders and pistons and rods till it came out like that.

i'm glad you pointed that out, i had those in my head after this hectic day and didn't think past it. huh.gif yellowsleep[1].gif how much of a spread is safe to have? these figures of course are based off of a .045 shim set, not the needed thickness. here are the #'s:

#1 .044
#2 .046
#3 .048
#4 .042

1] let's just say that is the best possible combo. is that out of range?
2] should you shim the cylinders unequal amounts or is there a exceptable variance range?
3] if so what are the thinest shims out there? .002, .003?

mike
orange914
i did the check and with a .045 + .010 shim i would have 8.2:1 on 3 cylinders and 8.3:1 on 1. shouldn't that be considered WAY within a reasonable tolerance?

how about if i put a .004 under the highest c.r. cylinder and .002 under the second highest c.r. cylinder to lower. would that very minimal difference in side to side heighth effect head sealing? are there thin shims like that anyway?

mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.