Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here something you don't see everyday!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
twoskinuts
This not an easy job a lot of cutting, welding, fabing, checking, checking again and then check again all your clearances for your door and fenders once you have it all tacked in correctly and the door opens and swings up and all your clearance are right before final welds are done once it's done it final!! To do this to a stock teener you would have to remove the fenders making it even a harder job on stock teener! But I had the fender off already for the Chalon kit plus both of the door plate where the door bolt to were damaged I had the V8 in aready so I when full custom with the lambo doors!! I used a AutoLoc slimline universal Hinge with heavy duty strut upgrade you get 4 struts but you only use 1 per door because the teens door are so lite so you get extra set for spares. The lambo hinge is a two piece with one piece swings out and the J-arm swings up and there fully adjustable how far they swing out, up, and were it sits at the bottom so you can adjust it to hit door striker correctly. I had to cut the door mount off the J-arm and remove about an 1-1/4"off the J-arm and reweld the door mount back on to the J-arm. I used this hinge because it's only 2" wide and because there's not alot of room in under the fender area to mount it. I don't know any other mfg. who makes them this thin and I check alot of them. All right here we go pic#1 is that big hole you have to cut down thru the door strap support down to where it will clear the j-arm on the hinge. Pic#2 I use 16ga. sheet steel bent a 90 and fit it to the bottom of the door plate up to the first of the old door strap support you can see in pic#1 and weld it to the support. Then build a box to hold the hinge big enough to give you enough room to weld around the hinge. Then make x support in the box and weld all that in. Then make a plate to fit between the box and the old strap support. Plus the old bottom hinge bolt holes and weld it all up. Pic#3 You make a plate to fit in the box and drill 5 holes in it 1 in the center of were the x support in the box and 4 half way between the center and the corners so you can weld all 5 hole to the x support and just tack the corners in. Pic#4 Is the hinge welded in to the box when it's done the whole thing should be flush with the original sheet metal. Pic#5 & 6 Is the piece you have to cut out of the door to weld in a peice of angle to mount the J-arm to the door it's double sheets here weld the angle in on the outside & inside the door. Pic#7 To mount the strut open the door all the way up to fit and drill for the strut and weld a small peice of angle in the wheel well to mount the strut to thats it !!!
twoskinuts
pics3&4
twoskinuts
pics5&6
twoskinuts
pic7&more
jimkelly
does it make getting in and out easier?

do you have a full size steering wheel in there?

jim

JPB
Yo, beta make a supa ca outa tha cuz she be crazay! Nice work and looks great!!! beer.gif
twoskinuts
It's a stock wheel with a cover on it and it is easyer to get in & out with the doors up out of the way!!
wbergtho
That is some seriously talented fabrication work there bud! I can see you knew just what you were doing and pursued this project with quite a bit of talent. Nice job! If you don't mind, how about a few shots of the radiator and the V-8 conversion. How long has it been running?
Wilhelm
I always though this would be a reasonable mod for my 928 which always scrapes the passenger door when next to a curb. Lets see some side pics or your car with the door fully open.
twoskinuts
I got the car running this past spring an drove the car all summer with no fender on it getting the motor all dailed in here some more pics!!
twoskinuts
More pics
So.Cal.914
Very nice fab, my brother has them on his crossfire, I was right they do look cool

on a teener. More pics on the internal fab (lifting mechanism)...
twoskinuts
More pics this is all I have right now of the door job when I get ready for paint I'll take the doors off the take more pics of the j-arm that hooks to the door.
So.Cal.914
I read your thread and was inspired...No hyjack intended.

Click to view attachment

scotty b
popcorn[1].gif I can't WAIT until Garvey sees this one. av-943.gif Nice werk BTW aktion035.gif
Joe Bob
OK...now make them electric.....
JRust
WOW! You got some skills man. That is going to be one killer car. Seriously your doing a great job. Although it isn't stock you are doing it well. Keep it up beer.gif
McMark
Very cool! thumb3d.gif smilie_pokal.gif

QUOTE(356 @ Mar 2 2008, 05:14 PM) *

OK...now make them electric.....

Easy, replace the gas shock with a linear actuator. Done.
twoskinuts
I thought of going all electric shaved door handle an all but. I change my mind keeping it all manual. I can lift the door with one finger pull it down with one also when I get to the bottom I just let go of the door an it closes by itself. Because the struts are mounted on alittle bit of an angle on the front of the strut so it push the door closed pretty cool!! When I got done with the job an close the door for the first time I just stood there and lol3.gif
Lou W
Nice work Dan, you're very talented. beerchug.gif
firstknight13
mad.gif man i just had all the fab work done and painted my car and you HAVE to show me this !!!!!! CHRIS (CFR) what do you think???? confused24.gif out standing work smilie_pokal.gif
RohJay
Sorry to hijack, but here's another something you don't see everyday biggrin.gif
alpha434
You didn't get your ego stroked enough on the other site?
av-943.gif

You're getting a much better response here, though.
You want that I should bug you about the ricer thing here, too?

Quotes from googling lambo doors....

"Ricers just put them on because their f*n retarded, ricers are posers and you dont put lambo doors on a 4 banger its too bad a**:

"Leave them for the ricers and their flashy BS."

"this is my best, and is the best i've heard of, it just happend to me;

"i'm driving my mom's new '05 toyota Sienna mini van, V6 automatic CE.
there is a blue riced out 2000ish chevy Cavalier, full body kit, altezza's, fart can, spoiler, AUTOMATIC and lambo doors. he was crusing through down town at like 30MPH with both doors open (lambo doors opening up in the air) to show everyone he has lambo doors and a stock looking 4 door 98ish civic LX with a big (6in long by 3in tall) VTEC badge loaded with 4 mexicans pulled up next to them at a stop light (it's 4 lanes going one way) and they start revving on each other. now i'm in my mom's mini van next to them and the light turned green, so just to see whats what i floored it with them and i ended up pulling the civic by 2 cars and pulling the cavalier by 1.5 cars.

riced out Cavalier Vs 4 door civic with a VTEC badge Vs stock Minivan.

minivan wins "

Meanwhile, I love lambo doors.
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.