Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California emissions test
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
reverie
I have a stock '76, and I'd like to take it with me to California. I assume it will pass the emissions test, but if it doesn't pass the test even after subsequent repairs, is there a "waiver" for such vehicles?
SLITS
There is a waiver AFTER you spend $450 in attempts to make it pass smog. You had to apply and see a referee (known here as a PITA).

See the following:

Californa Bureau of Automotive Repair
reverie
Thanks, Ron! smile.gif

Might have to go that route..
banger
Fill 1/8-1/4 of the tank with E85, then it will pass.

QUOTE(reverie @ Mar 2 2008, 06:28 AM) *

Thanks, Ron! smile.gif

Might have to go that route..

Cap'n Krusty
The $450 figure refers to money spent ONLY at a CA approved smog repair facility. Using Ethanol DOES NOT assure you'll pass. Functional emissions equipment, ALL of it, is a maqndatory thing. Then you tune it up so everything is perfect, set the valves at .016", and get a pre-test. If all's well, then go for it. Remember, they'll look for EGR and plumbing, distributor vacuum capsule, air pump and plumbing, a catalytic converter, the CAT and EGR warning lights, the fuel tank filler neck restrictor, stock air filter, evap canister, and the ignition timing, as well as CO and HC numbers. If you're gonna register it in an "enhanced" area (SD, LA area, SF Bay area, maybe others), there'll be a dyno test. Other areas have a 2 step idle/fast idle test. They now test for visible oil smoke out of the tail pipe (from March 15th), and they test the integrity of the evap system. 914s are notoriously difficult to get through the test. The Cap'n
smooth_eddy
Roger...........are you moving?
Dave_Darling
IIRC, the waiver is a one-time-only thing. So the next time you get tested, you cannot get a waiver, no matter how much you spend on trying to fix it...

--DD
hwgunner
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 2 2008, 10:54 AM) *

IIRC, the waiver is a one-time-only thing. So the next time you get tested, you cannot get a waiver, no matter how much you spend on trying to fix it...

--DD

YUP!!!!!
tango-52
'75s and older are smog exempt. Shouldn't be too long before '76 is exempt.
reverie
Thanks for the replies, guys. smile.gif
biosurfer1
QUOTE(tango-52 @ Mar 2 2008, 12:27 PM) *

i'll take that bet. a bill was passed a few years back that the 30 rolling exemption stopped. As of right now, '76 will never be smog exempt.
Dr. Roger

The rolling 30 year deal was stopped a few years ago and signed by the Governator.
chair.gif

Chances of it getting changed back; next to nil. dry.gif

Elliot Cannon

Don't hold your breath. I've said before there is a politician out there somewhere whos carreer is stagnating and wants to make a name for himself by passing some kind of draconian emissions law that will pretty much ground most of our cars. (After all, who would vote AGAINST clean air?) That's not to say his legislation would pass but someone will likely try. Luckily we have lobbying groups to help.
Cheers, Elliot
Porcharu
Turn it into an older car. Shouldn't be to hard with all of the rusty tubs being chopped up and thrown away. I am thinking about doing the same thing with my Volvo (getting a 75 and transferring all of the Vins over to the newer car and then scrapping the 'new one') It might not be totally legal but if done correctly no one will ever know.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Mar 2 2008, 02:11 PM) *

Turn it into an older car. Shouldn't be to hard with all of the rusty tubs being chopped up and thrown away. I am thinking about doing the same thing with my Volvo (getting a 75 and transferring all of the Vins over to the newer car and then scrapping the 'new one') It might not be totally legal but if done correctly no one will ever know.

Altering numbers is OK till someone notices, then you got your basic freakin nightmare. Trust me on this one.
Elliot
Porcharu
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 2 2008, 05:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Porcharu @ Mar 2 2008, 02:11 PM) *

Altering numbers is OK till someone notices, then you got your basic freakin nightmare. Trust me on this one.
Elliot

If you own both cars how would anyone ever know? Just passing the tests in an older car is a nightmare in itself. Unfortunately not much else to do if you have a 76' and it is not totally stock and in perfect condition. Maybe historic plates would help? I guess you could always get an older tub and swap everything over.
Dave_Darling
It's about two orders of magnitude more of a nightmare than passing smog. Really.

Time for the Cap'n to chime in with his story about the Feds turning his shop upside down because someone who had worked for him several years before had been caught VIN-swapping...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.