Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what engine stands work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
Will the engine stands available at places like Kragen and Harbor Freight work without modifications on a 4?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=32915
Britain Smith
People have those engine stands on ebay for $0.99...it is my understanding that they don't work very well without some adaptor.

-Britain
bmendel
I've used one of those for a 912 engine, though access to the flywheel is limited. If you just want to hold the engine up, it should be fine, but if you need to turn the crank and really work on it, get the special VW type with the bent arms
eldiosyeldiablo
Ok so if that is not the good one. Which one are?

Any of them available at local stores? Sams, Pep-boys, HomeDepot [tongue.gif], Wallyworld *shudders at the thought*

Thx,
David
mightyohm
That's what I want to know too. smile.gif
Gint
Go look through my rusto thread (see sig). I bought a set of brackets from a guy on ebay that worked out great. With a standard engine stand and a set of these brackets you're good to go.
mightyohm
Do you have any pictures of the brackets themselves? It's hard for me to tell what the engine actually bolts to from the pic. Does that arrangement allow you to separate case halves while on the stand?

I wish the brackets didn't obscure the flywheel so much. Looks like it would not be possible to remove the flywheel with the engine on the stand.
F4i
Ditto. (above)
I got in touch with the guy from E-bay as he does not have any listed right now. He said it would be 52.50 plus shipping. He also said it woul take a few days to have them made up. More pics of them if you have any I am still trying to decide what to do as well. If any body needs his contact info let me know.Thanks
Gint
Do you have any pictures of the brackets themselves? It's hard for me to tell what the engine actually bolts to from the pic. Does that arrangement allow you to separate case halves while on the stand?

I can try to get some better pics of the brackets, but I'm not taking the motor off of the stand to do it. Can''t say about seperating case halves. Haven't tried it. the motor is actually a very low priority at this point. I have to get the shell ready for the body shop.

I got in touch with the guy from E-bay as he does not have any listed right now. He said it would be 52.50 plus shipping.

That sounds like the same guy/price. Compared to the cost of the alternatives, I can live with this arrangement's shortcomings.
lmcchesney
I have the EMPI engine stand. The down side is that it mounts to a horizonal flat surface. Trying to place an additional flat surface on my engine stand to mount to. It does have the offset to allow for the flywheel. NB: the stand mounts to the side of the case, not the top or bottom.
EMPI part # 5001 apporox. $15.00 USD
L. McChesney
rhilgers
Just buy a big V8 stand, toss the L shaped brackets

then buy a bellhousing of a VW bus 091 trans.
Thats the dark bottom section of the trans on this page
http://www.davesport.com/rally/mycar/mycar.htm

Usually two of the bellhousing holes will line up with the flat side of the engine stand plate. Drill two more then bolt the bellhousing directly to the flat plate of the engine stand. Do not use the holes for the engine mount here ;-)

Grind a hair off the inside bellhousing if needed to clear the flywheel.

The 914 engine will now bolt up using all 4 transmission bolts and you also have a starter mount ready to go to test the engine out of the car.
sj914
I've used those engine stands before, but it doesn't really support the case too well. When i had an engine mounted it kinda made nervous. I have found an adaptor though, I don't use but it looks like a good alternative to the 300.00 adaptors.
sj914
oops
sj914
Here's the actual piece.
URY914
Here's mine...
URY914
Better shot but it's a little dusty in the garage tonight.
This type will allow you to split the case and rotate the engine.
trojanhorsepower
I have been using the Harbor Freight model that you have in your link. It works fine for me. You have to be a little careful with the set up (be sure the flywheel is clear) and I made little wooden blocks to pad the case, but I don't see anything wrong with it. You have to take it down to mount the flywheel, but that was not a problem for me since I wanted someone else to set the endplay.

Just my thoughts

-Pete
mightyohm
Paul, Looks good! Wish I had fabrication capabilities or I would definitely go with the EMPI adapter and make my own stand for it. My bench weighs considerably less than my engine so the bench mount is out of the question. huh.gif
URY914
I made the stand from "Unistrut" pieces from work. Unistrut is heavy steel framing that is used to support equipment above ceilings. It has casters on it to roll it around. You could get some steel angle and bolt one up that would work also. Or call an electrical supplier in your area and they should have Unistrut pieces and fittings.

Paul
URY914
I don't know how HF can sell that for $40. I'm sure its built in India or China. No way some Union iron worker built that here. wink.gif

Paul
tracks914
I made my own bracket to mount into a conventioal stand. It works great and I can support either half of the case or both. It took about 4 hours, a welding machine, a lathe and a hydraulic press.
tracks914
I should have taken off the flywheel first but it was no big deal once the case was stripped.
mightyohm
Kragen has a cheap ($35) engine stand listed on their website, but they don't stock it in the stores. At least not at the one near me.
lmcchesney
Paul,
That looks just like my EMPI stand.
In the process to attaching it to my V8 stand.
It seems stable enough. Experience says it works well on 914 engines. Certainly cheap enough.
L. McChesney
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jan 12 2004, 06:24 PM)
I made my own bracket to mount into a conventioal stand. It works great and I can support either half of the case or both. It took about 4 hours, a welding machine, a lathe and a hydraulic press.

I can appreciate the work involved in making your adapter, however, it doesn't seem to make it easy for installing the clutch & pressure plate. With the standard engine mount adapter you can do this and it has no problem holding up the engine.

From http://www.aircooled.net/
IPB Image
mightyohm
I wonder if the EMPI adapter could be bolted up to one of those cheap HF stands. Maybe a couple pieces of tubing or angle and remove the plate that comes on it. I doubt you could make a stand for much less than the HF one costs.
eldiosyeldiablo
How about this from aircooled.net?

Floor Engine Stand
Part #: TZE0010

Price: $ 94.95
Knock it down to store when not in use! Very rugged construction, and mounted on steel casters for mobility.

My table is not heavy enough for the table mounted ones. So I need the whole shebang.
cha914
I have the floor one from aircooled...it works well, basically just the empi stand welded to a conventional stand like the HF ones. It does break down nicely, but now that I can weld I would just buy the empi one and make my own stand. I am buying a digi cam tonight, so if you are still interested I can take pics of the stand tonight or tomorrow.

Tony
F4i
Hi My search has ended.(I hope) I found an engine stand adaptor from JCWhitney for 39.99. It looks like the one from aircooled empi ect. however it will fit in a standard engine stand. I live in Canada and cannot ship an entire stand or make use of a bench mount. I will take pics when it arrives as there are not any on the website. I had to phone and get them to measure it for me.Repair Stand Adapter Each 12ZX8021U $39.99
JeffBowlsby
Jeff....just buy my stand...its floor mounted...I'm done with it...

Contact me if you're interested...

JB
F4i
The guy on e-bay has his adapters available. Very nice guy.
adaptor
Gint
That's the set I bought (same guy) and my /6 has been on a generic stand with those brackets for almost a year now. Works perfectly fine for me.
ChrisFoley
Here's what I made recently.
Brad Roberts
Chris,

You must be over 6ft tall. I HATE all the stands availabe right now.. they are ALL SHORT. I see you raised that one. I think the whole world evolves around short people.

Jeff,

Buy the Ebay adapter and walk over to Costco and buy a cheap stand.

B
EdwardBlume
I bought a stand from Kragen for $60, and bought the adapter plate off ebay. Works fine. wink.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 17 2004, 10:53 PM)
Chris,

You must be over 6ft tall. I HATE all the stands availabe right now.. they are ALL SHORT. I see you raised that one. I think the whole world evolves around short people.

Jeff,

Buy the Ebay adapter and walk over to Costco and buy a cheap stand.

B

Just 6'. I don't like the idea of sitting while disassembling/building an engine. Gottta move around too much. So far this stand is just about right for me. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.