Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wiring guru's, three questions:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete914
Thanks for looking.
1. Trying to wire my my license plate lights. Right side works fine. Left side seems to have no power. Here's a pic of the setup. I noticed that on the working side. The "two wires into one" connector has been broken up. So, there's a loose wire not connected and then the two wires connecting to the light (+ and -). I'm guessing this is the ground which is no longer connected? The light works though setup like this.
In any case, I don't want to experiment too much as I hear this can fry the wiring harness. Anyone had trouble with this? no paint or rust in the connector; I cleaned them out. should i cut the "two wire into one" up? seems stupid to do that...
IPB Image

2. Here's a pic of my fuse box. Lower right-hand corner shows the hookup for the oil pressure gauge (second from the right). I want to put an oil temperature gauge in the car. Would i hook up that gauge on this fusebox as well? if so, where?
I have the dual pressure/warning light sender now. If i were to wire a temp sensor would i need to run a wire from the sender into the cabin or does the existing wiring harness have a wire for this already? what parts would i need to order? guage and sender?
3. Do the VDO gauges come with lights or do they just assume you don't need to monitor you engine at night? dry.gif
IPB Image
Thanks guys!
ejm
1. Power wires (grey) are 2->1 at one light and ground (brown) at the other. Make sure you have then connected to the correct terminals on the lights. The ground wire must go to the terminal that connects to the frame of the bulb holder assy. If you swap them the power gets grounded when you screw in the lights.

2. Gauges use little power and can be connected to any switched and fused terminal. Your car may be wired for gauges in a center console, if so there would be a wire for an oil temp gauge

3. Anyone I've seen has lights
pete914
Okay,
check to make sure I've have them on part. single wire is going to the ground, two into one wire is going to the bulb. I would think if there was a short it would knock out both lights.
My car is not wired for a center console, so will I need to run a wire from the engine temp sender to the gauge?
Thanks for the response.
type47
QUOTE(pete914 @ Mar 2 2008, 02:38 PM) *

My car is not wired for a center console, so will I need to run a wire from the engine temp sender to the gauge?

yes. for later cars, you could pick up a connector coming out of the harness just under the battery tray. that wire went to the bunch of connectors for a console. since yours is not wired, you need the complete run from taco to gauge. i put a combo gauge with oil temp in my 74 (and 73 but have to troubleshoot the 73). maybe because it's a 74 1.8, but the needle doesn't deflect all that much, maybe 1/3 the deflection to the red area. haven't determined if there are multiple taco senders or just one.
pete914
yes. for later cars, you could pick up a connector coming out of the harness just under the battery tray. that wire went to the bunch of connectors for a console. since yours is not wired, you need the complete run from taco to gauge.

Thanks, that answers that. I just have to suck it up and fork over about a $100. I'm just not sure if I really need to know that bad.

I would just like to have a better idea where I stand with my engine temps. Especially with the dual carbs going on...
G e o r g e
oil temp is not engine temp

install a cylinder head temp gauge under the #3 plug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.