Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: looking for honda svc. in bay area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
Looking for a good mechanic in SF or Mtn. View area who can work on a late model Honda Civic. One of those quick oil change places stripped the drain plug threads on my gf's 2000 Civic and I am trying to get estimates on a threaded insert or a new pan. She's being quoted $100/hr labor by various places which seems ridiculous.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 12 2004, 11:38 AM)
... She's being quoted $100/hr labor by various places which seems ridiculous.

sounds like a lot, but based on this snippet of information in Brad's "When Worlds Collide" thread:

" Shop labor rate is 95$ an hour and 914 club members will be 85$ an hour... "

it sounds like it's just 'life-in-the-CA-big-city' pricing...

OTOH - you'll be recovering the cost from the 'Quick-Lube' place, right ? John Larson mentioned he was repairing 2-3 A WEEK from the place down the street from him, so they must be familiar with the claim process (although i bet they pretend ignorance...) get the number of the BAR and get those State weenies (that you're paying for with part of that $100/hr) working for you ...
garyh
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jan 12 2004, 11:51 AM)
get those State weenies (that you're paying for with part of that $100/hr) working for you ...

And when that doesn't work...

What size is the plug? I just helicoiled a BMW oil pan, and have some inserts left over.
L8Apex
I happen to be a former honda boy, oh wait, I still am.... (still own a 97 Civic rice rocket). If the pan is stripped, you should replace the pan.

To repair it properly, you would have to use time-serts, which you have to drill into the pan, tap and thread an insert in there. That will take quite some time and money.

Not having to see the car, and having experience with engine drops and oil pan changing, you have to remove the downpipe, remove the bell housing dust shield, remove 20 nuts off the oil pan. You should be able to get an oil pan from the local junk yards (Honda Heaven??? near capital expressway I think) or from some of the local ricers. Shouldn't have to pay more than $60 for a used pan and I think the gasket is less than $20, which you can probably get from your FLAPS. It's about a 2 hour job.

Helicoils suck! Use Time Serts!!!! It fixed my go kart motor after I smoked the threads on it.
mightyohm
I am also worried about metal bits getting into the oil if I have to drill for an insert.

Sounds like the pan replacement is pretty simple if the exhaust comes off straightforwardly.

I am going to push for having the pan replaced. I think the lube shop is going to want to drill and tap (not even an insert) and I am going to bitch and moan about this. I think it's going to be hard to convince them to pay for anything, especially a pan replacement.
L8Apex
The pan replacement is simple. I have a factory honda manual for that generation of honda civics if you need to borrow it. Maybe I can take a picture and send them to you. I know all the sockets and torque settings you need too (by heart) smilie_pokal.gif .

14mm deep + extension for downpipe to manifold connection (32ft-lbs)
12mm and 10mm for catalytic converter(crank that down!)
22mm for O2 sensor (20ft-lbs)
17mm for engine to tranny brace (32 ft-lbs)
10mm for oil pan nuts and bolts (8ft-lbs)

You should be able to do this yourself. If you can drop a 914 engine/tranny, you should be able to do this easily. (just a little messy) Oh yeah, don't forget to drain the oil FIRST! (ask me how I know this) finger.gif
mightyohm
thank you very much for the info!!

now if things don't work out having someone pay for the replacement i know i have a backup plan - i can do it myself. (and probably do it better)
L8Apex
forgot to mention: www.hondaautomotiveparts.com is the best mail order honda parts website you can goto. They have excellent prices and is very easy to search for what you need if you decide to get all new parts.
mightyohm
Honda Heaven quoted $100 for the pan. Looks like I can get it new for $160. I will check some other places tomorrow to see if I can find it any cheaper. $100 seems like a lot for a used oil pan. huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.