Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving your garage queen
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
smg914
I don't initiate many threads but after reading this you will know why I didn't post it in The Garage. There are a few of us that own completly original early Porsche's that are in nearly new condition. We feel these cars are very special and we feel it is our duty to preserve them and we know that they are only original once.

I was thinking today about something and old friend (my original Porsche mentor) tought me about 32 years ago. At the time I was about 21 years old and had already owned a '73 2 liter for about 3 years. I decided I wanted a 911. I found an Irish Green '72 911T at one of the local dealers that I decided to purchase. Just prior to signing the paperwork a guy named Joe Reid told me not to sign anything until I come over to his house. (all you NNJR people know Joe Reid) So my girlfriend (now wife) and I drive over to Joe's house and he shows me this car in the corner of his garage. We carefully remove the cover and under it is the most unbelievably stunning signal orange 1970 911S. I eventually bought this car from Joe which brings me to what Joe told me over 32 years ago.

"drive your Porsche at least once every 6 weeks and you will never have any problems"

This was taking into consideration that we both already knew that you don't drive them in the rain or any bad weather for that matter and to limit it's time in the hot sun.

I've taken Joe's advice for over 32 years now and I can honesly say that he was right. So if anyone out there has a garage queen early Porsche and you have the desire to preserve the car but believe that driving them is an important part of its preservation, drive your car (in good weather conditions) at least once every 6 weeks and you will never have any problems.

There, I said it. I'm officially passing on this knowledge on to you and giving you permission to follow Joe's words of wisdom.

orthobiz
Unless you live in Northern Michigan. Don't drive your car between November and April or the road salt will melt it!

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(smg914 @ Mar 2 2008, 06:38 PM) *

I don't initiate many threads but after reading this you will know why I didn't post it in The Garage. There are a few of us that own completly original early Porsche's that are in nearly new condition. We feel these cars are very special and we feel it is our duty to preserve them and we know that they are only original once.

I was thinking today about something and old friend (my original Porsche mentor) tought me about 32 years ago. At the time I was about 21 years old and had already owned a '73 2 liter for about 3 years. I decided I wanted a 911. I found an Irish Green '72 911T at one of the local dealers that I decided to purchase. Just prior to signing the paperwork a guy named Joe Reid told me not to sign anything until I come over to his house. (all you NNJR people know Joe Reid) So my girlfriend (now wife) and I drive over to Joe's house and he shows me this car in the corner of his garage. We carefully remove the cover and under it is the most unbelievably stunning signal orange 1970 911S. I eventually bought this car from Joe which brings me to what Joe told me over 32 years ago.

"drive your Porsche at least once every 6 weeks and you will never have any problems"

Well, those of use, like you, who've been porsche devotees for many years, have had mentors. Mine, was a fellow named Bud West, and another named Howard Rapp. Both died at the wheels of their Porsches!

Bud told me "start it & run it for twenty minutes, even if it's on jackstands". Howard said "enjoy it at least once a month, for an afternoon - regardless of weather".

If lived by Bud's mantra. My 914 has been on stands for 11 months now - for Parade prep. But it gets run every 10 days or so. Yep, when I start it, garage has to be open & it makes a lot of stench (all old cars do that) until it warms up.

I still think of Bud every time I fire the 914 up. I still think of Howard every time I polish a piece underneath. These were the mentors (when I was 25) who caused me to keep my original 914 the way it is - original. I still miss both of them, but at least I'm carrying on the theme. By the way, Bud was a 356 & 911 guy. Howard was strictly a 356 guy. This was back in the day when 914's were almost banned from PCA. These were REAL Porsche people!

Still miss both of you!
Pat

This was taking into consideration that we both already knew that you don't drive them in the rain or any bad weather for that matter and to limit it's time in the hot sun.

I've taken Joe's advice for over 32 years now and I can honesly say that he was right. So if anyone out there has a garage queen early Porsche and you have the desire to preserve the car but believe that driving them is an important part of its preservation, drive your car (in good weather conditions) at least once every 6 weeks and you will never have any problems.

There, I said it. I'm officially passing on this knowledge on to you and giving you permission to follow Joe's words of wisdom.

Gustl
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Mar 3 2008, 01:54 AM) *

Unless you live in Northern Michigan. Don't drive your car between November and April or the road salt will melt it!

Paul

agree.gif - same for my are sad.gif
gs11x
You could always put it up on jack stands and take it through the gears. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.