Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor Advance Control
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I am in teh process of buttoning up my recently rebuilt motor and I converted to Webers and I have no idea what other things I need to do - like wiring and connecting the distributor? What do I need to do to wire the distributor and how about the vacuum advance for the distributor? Does anybody have a wiring diagram for converting to carbs?

Thanks!
McMark
The distributor gets hooked up the same way as always. You can use your old wiring harness, or use the factory wiring diagram to find the ignition switch power wire, the tach wire, and the oil pressure switch wire. Those are the only three you need.

* ignition power - black wire
* tach wire - black w/ purple
* oil pressure wire - green w/ red

Vacuum advance depends on the carbs and if their set up for it. DO NOT hook the vacuum advance to the manifold. The vacuum advance (VA) needs to be hooked up to a port that is drilled IN LINE with the throttle butterfly/plate. A Mallory 4554101 will work better than the stock distributor and you don't have to mess with the vacuum advance.

Which carbs are you using?
Which fuel pump are you using?
Where is the fuel pump mounted?
pete914
McMark, if you were to hook up the vacuum advance, would you need to run it to both carbs? Maybe just switch to a centrifugal advance dizzy?
Dr. Roger
Mark is referring to a full mechanical, point-less, dizzy.
Seems it would be a quick chore to hook both spark ports together with a "T", then to the dizzy's vacuum diaphragm. Seems the vacuum source should be as constant as possible. Right?

vesnyder
I am using the Weber 40's with the fuel pump from Raby - I beleive it is the 2.5 psi pump. I will be mounted under the fuel tank.
hydroliftin
Call up Jake and get his Mallory dizzy as well. He sells it pre-configured and ready to plug in. I went for a "cheaper" alternative and ended up spending a lot of time and money to get the advance curve right. I would have been better off buying from Jake to begin with.

QUOTE(vesnyder @ Mar 6 2008, 05:46 PM) *

I am using the Weber 40's with the fuel pump from Raby - I beleive it is the 2.5 psi pump. I will be mounted under the fuel tank.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.