Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Latest Baby Blue 75...destined to be an organ donor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Just picked this late 74 build, but technically a 75 for its heart. I just wanted the motor. This little guy spent 25 years on a ranch in a barn.

Someparts of the car are pretty nice, while others are showing their age. It came with a pure white interior that actually is in pretty good condtion and a stock radio, wheels I don't recognize and brand new tires.

Some cancer below the battery box, a spot in the rear trunk and one of the top fenders by the cowl seal. It also has the driver's front side pushed in a lttle from a bumper impact.

Anyone recognize these wheels..bug?

Anyway, I bought the car for the engine and plan on either selling the car as is real cheap or parting it out. There are some good parts, i.e the chrome sail trim and windshield chrome is in excellent condition. I would prefer not parting this one out, but will if I have to. Would this car sell as is without the engine and transmission, if so...how much would be a price to move it quickly? I'm not looking to make this post an ad...just to gather some info on the best way to move this tub.
Thanks
computers4kids
White interior?
computers4kids
bug wheels?
computers4kids
ouch
slackin' at work
If it comes down to parting it... I'd be interested in that vertical sail trim if it is as good as you make it sound!

beer3.gif
JRust
Mark you are as sick as me! drunk.gif

If you just wanted a 1.8 you could have come & got the one in my garage. Or the complete 73 2.0 donor car I have. Would have given you a deal on that car just to get the damn thing out of my way. 3 cars in my work space makes for no work space headbang.gif

I'm sure there is some demented soul out there who will pay good money for that white interior confused24.gif
rick 918-S
White? Rare... idea.gif
Dave_Darling
"Bottlecap" wheels, possibly made by American Racing. One version was sold as "Dan Gurney" wheels. Could be Bug offset, could be 914 offset...

--DD
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 2 2008, 06:11 PM) *

Mark you are as sick as me! drunk.gif

If you just wanted a 1.8 you could have come & got the one in my garage. Or the complete 73 2.0 donor car I have. Would have given you a deal on that car just to get the damn thing out of my way. 3 cars in my work space makes for no work space headbang.gif

I'm sure there is some demented soul out there who will pay good money for that white interior confused24.gif

Actually, I did have 2 complete 1.8s, a core 1.8, and mystery 2.0 (doesn't turn all the way around). Now I have 3 complete 1.8s. That should give me over 8 liters if I install all of them...LOL.

Acutally, the motor was taken out 4 years ago, rebuilt by the the PO, valve job etc and put back in but NEVER driven. It looks great!...couldn't pass-up the deal. The motor looks totally out of place in the car in its condition...go figure what people do. Yes, we are both sick slap.gif

I still want a good 2.0...I need to sell off some of these motors...talk about getting crowded. I tell you...the way gas is going, I'm not to sure I'm going to take the 5th wheel up this summer. mad.gif I thought you got rid of your last 2ltr motor.

Yeah...that white interior is pretty cool looking. What do you think it would like like in my 75 project (silver to be)?
rhodyguy
if it's uncracked, i could use the interior light.

k
rhodyguy
if it's uncracked, i could use the interior light.

k
computers4kids
Hi Kevin...I just brought this one home and I haven't had a chance to really clean the interior to see if anything is lurking under the 25 years of dust. I have a crazy week coming up and probably won't be able to play my toy until the following weekend. Just looking around at the interior, the dash is cracked but the knobs, material, heater stuff looks fantastic. I didn't see any rips or tears yet on the interior, but I did see a little bit of checking on one part of the driver's seat.

If I part it...I let you know. I'm thinking I might offer the whole car (except engine and transmission) for $600 for a quick sale. As parts, I see plenty of large pieces that I could move quickly, but would rather sell this one together...after you take off the good pieces, not too much to get excited about.

Mark
purple
dont part it out! at least not until you take pics of the longs. it'd be stupid to part a car that saveable. that color is sexy too! you could do black graphics on it and it would just look awesome!
SirAndy
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Mar 2 2008, 05:40 PM) *

Just picked this late 74 build, but technically a 75 for its heart.

with all those 914s you have/had in your possession, it's a shame you have only one VIN number listed in our database ...
shades.gif Andy
crash914
Wheels look like westerns to me...
Root_Werks
That white interior option has been talked about before. It's pretty rare and if in decent shape, should be pulled and cleaned up/sold. If you junk the car, get the interior out of it ASAP and inside a house.

eBay it.
736conver
I always like the white interior, i think its actually called "linen" color. Hard to keep clean though.

Do you they even make white basket weave material anymore.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(736conver @ Mar 3 2008, 01:28 PM) *

I always like the white interior, i think its actually called "linen" color. Hard to keep clean though.

Do you they even make white basket weave material anymore.

Linen is a little different and from the 80's, I think the first linen the US saw was from the 944's in 82-83 or so.

As far as I know, no one makes the 914/VW "White" anymore. One of the reasons it can be worth a decent amount.
computers4kids
I was suprised the door panels are even white and NO speaker holes! Stock radio looks showroom new.

I need to pull one of the wheels off and look behind it. The PO swore they have a porsche emblem on it...I told him, no way. confused24.gif

As far as the longs...they look good from outward appearance...floorboards are good too.

Restore it...not me, I have too many fish in the fry pan as it is. As soon as I know a little more about the car, it's off to World Classifieds and then ebay.

slap.gif Ouch...was that Andy slapping me...OK, I get the hint. laugh.gif
computers4kids
Well, pulled the motor tonight...Hey, I'm getting pretty good at this...45 minutes. Longs look good, never been repainted (except a fender).

Also pulled both back wheels and looked for a stamp/brand name...absolutely nothing. blink.gif The offset is 4.5 inches, maybe 4.75.
Porcharu
This car needs to go to member "reverie" he has a 76' and wants to move to CA.
rhodyguy
sounds like the backspacing is near that of a 914 wheel. are they 5.5" wide? hot ticket for a 4 lug ac vw.
Slider
i say sell it complete i would take it but i dont have the funds..

they look like western wheels to me also called Dan Gurney wheels they sold them in two offset 1 for VW Aircooled 4lug and 1 for 914's
computers4kids
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 4 2008, 07:35 AM) *

sounds like the backspacing is near that of a 914 wheel. are they 5.5" wide? hot ticket for a 4 lug ac vw.

Didn't even think to measure how wide they were the first time...anyway, I was shocked to see they were 7 inches wide! The PO had mounted new tires, but went with some bicycle wide ones which threw me. You can see from one of the pics of the tire there is a good dish to the front.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.