Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O/T rant Friking Van Halen
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
Me and my boy were to go see them here in Dallas Monday night. I took a floater from work so we could go have some guys time. Then Eddie decides he has "issues" as they are saying on the web sites and shuts down the tour mad.gif We have only been looking forward to this since before christmas headbang.gif You got to hate big rock stars who cant get along slap.gif ar15.gif
carr914
Sorry for your trouble. It was only a matter of time before they shut it down AGAIN. Maybe they need to bring in Rodney King as their lead singer next time
Carlitos Way
Personally.... I don't think you missed much. I saw them in concert in L.A. back in December. They really weren't very good. Entertaining, yes. But far from good. Not even good from afar.

C:>
kconway
Thats sucks...I saw the show in LA also but thought it was the best VH show I've seen. Dave actually wasn't so hammered he couldn't remember the lyrics. I guess it was to good to be true. sad.gif
Joe Ricard
Seen them in Milwaukee "Diver Down tour"

They were good then.

Been to Cabo Wabo (didn't see them however)

Pretty much think VH is done. sad..........
So.Cal.914
I saw them in 78-79(?) at Anaheim Stadium, Good Show.
IronHillRestorations
I lost interest when they split with Sammy. David Lee Roth is a side show, with no vocal talent.

Bummer though Larry. Nothing worse than waiting for weeks or months to see a concert and then have the plug pulled at the last minute.
Lou W
What a bummer for you and your son. sad.gif

I missed the show up here....maybe I didn't miss anything after all. I agree about DLR, would rather have seen Sammy. I was also disappointed to hear that Michael Anthony wasn't playing with them either. dry.gif
Krieger
Van Halen Kicked Ass at the Arco Arena in Sac 11/27. I lost control as did most everyone else there. Van Hagar was the side show. Sammy never had it and never will! I finished buying my tickets two minutes after they went on sale, then I held my breath for 3 months hoping they would stay together. Its too bad it didn't happen for you .
Chuck
I caught them here in MN on this tour. I thought they were pretty good. DLR was showing his age a bit (not as athletic as he once was on stage). Maybe I'm getting old but I thought the volume could have been reduced by half or better - it was so loud that you really couldn't make out any of the lyrics.

Still, good show.

That's really unfortunate that it didn't work out for you and your son to go!!
Joe Bob
Eddie does Meth/Crank/Speedballs etc....bright lights burn out quick....

I'm surprised he has ANY teeth.....

Joe Bob
Here's his new Mansion.....
mack914-6
QUOTE(356 @ Mar 3 2008, 12:46 PM) *

Eddie does Meth/Crank/Speedballs etc....bright lights burn out quick....

I'm surprised he has ANY teeth.....

With the cash he has made--one would think that he could spring for some teeth. He might look more like our friend Charlis M if he had a swastika in the middle of his forehead. Looks a little scary.
sww914
I saw them at the US festival in '83. They were the headliners and they were the worst show of the day. It was like 8-10 bands and everyone else kicked their ass.
Dave Lee Roth was so drunk he fell down, he couldn't sing, and he was an hour late.
Never again.
Brando
"Issues" as in, can't stay off the crap. Plus, I've heard his last few performances were on par with crappy guitar hero players.
biosurfer1
I saw them in Oakland in Dec...much better than i thought. Probably not as good as their hayday, but still enjoyd it.

Not that it matters, but everyone has said its not feuding within the band this time, but Eddie himself.
jhadler
Can't speak for VH, but I know how it is to have concerts canceled out from under ya. Had it happen a couple of times.

Although it's not always a bad thing...

I went to a Pearl Jam concert at Golden Gate fields in SF one summer, Eddie Vedder was so sick that he barely managed to choke out maybe two songs before he had to leave the stage. Everyone started pouring out of the concert to go home. But staying around a few more minutes payed off big time. Niel Young stepped up to the stage and did his own show. Most of the people had already left (already having been promised make up tickets), but we stayed and had up close and personal seats to one great performance.

We caught the make up show in San Jose a few months later, wasn't as good...

-Josh2
So.Cal.914
I saw Eddie at a party in West Covina in 1976, damn he looks bad. Maybe I look

that bad too, and just don't know it. sad.gif
spare time toys
Just saw on VHND.com the are reschedualing this for 24 April. I also looked up some other bands that are hitting the road soon. KISS is doing a world tour no US dates yet ( Momma will not let me take hjm to Germany for this sad.gif ) ACDC should be hitting the road this fall with the new album release. beerchug.gif Cheap trick is also touring. So we will hit some good shows this year piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(jhadler @ Mar 3 2008, 11:40 AM) *

I went to a Pearl Jam concert at Golden Gate fields in SF one summer, Eddie Vedder was so sick...

Hey, I remember that! Or at least, I remember how you got the tickets to that.

At least I'm not as sick now as I was then. (Damn flu...)

--DD
Twise
Man - ARENA ROCK - You guys should check out local bands and support your scenes. I just saw Los Mysterios at Alex's bar in Long Beach. That was a great show. I also caught Battalion of Saints with The Resntments at Fannies in Spring Valley. Calabrese was a great show in Hemet at the Showcase. If you live around my way - Drop me a line and I will turn you on to some great local shows. My band may play the Zombie Lounge in a few weeks - with The Creepy Creeps and the Widows. That will be a fun show.
spare time toys
I always liked local bar bands only problem is my boy Matt is 15.
EdwardBlume
Yeah, we're all old and trying to restore things to former greatness......

Its amzing how VH songs that you haven't heard in awhile are really good. beer3.gif
boxstr
Best hits of Van Halen on CD. Thats about all I am going to spend on those guys anymore.
CCL
GeorgeRud
If you want to see VH, you might be out of luck. Just found out that Eddie has been checked into a hospital for tests to try to get a diagnosis for his medical condition.

After a bout with cancer and a lifetime of hard living, there are few good diagnosis that come down the pike.

Hope he's OK, but lets wait and see what is found. I've had several bands that I always enjoyed, and now am finding more and more of them on their final tours.
byndbad914
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Mar 3 2008, 02:15 PM) *

Just saw on VHND.com the are reschedualing this for 24 April. I also looked up some other bands that are hitting the road soon. KISS is doing a world tour no US dates yet ( Momma will not let me take hjm to Germany for this sad.gif ) ACDC should be hitting the road this fall with the new album release. beerchug.gif Cheap trick is also touring. So we will hit some good shows this year piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

see you caught that - I heard it on tv last night that they have to resched the date and the tour is not canceled as was rumored.....

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003718728
Eric_Shea
He's one f'd up boy. I remember the first time I met my guitar hero...

...I had to help another guy put him under the kitchen table at a party so other party-goers wouldn't step on him.

But, put a guitar in his hand, no matter how stoned, and he can make magic.
John
When are they all getting together and call it GEEZER ROCK!

I heard The Police are touring this year as well.

I can't believe people pay the big bucks to see these have-been performers.

Quit living in the past!

(Of course if Led Zeppelin were playing, I'd try to find a way)

P.S. Don't worry, I'm getting close to being classified as geezer.
byndbad914
QUOTE(John @ Mar 6 2008, 09:07 PM) *

I heard The Police are touring this year as well.

I can't believe people pay the big bucks to see these have-been performers.

I would hope at 36 I ain't a geezer, but I just bought tickets last week to The Police at Red Rocks this summer... should be an amazing show at an amazing venue.
John
Just how much are tickets to a concert these days?

(I know I'm going to be shocked, and reply something like "When I was young, you could see 10 bands for a nickel.") This is why I call myself a geezer.
IronHillRestorations
Howbout the nursing home for old rockers?

What? What??? WHAT?? WHAT??? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! STOP MUMBLING!!!!! SPEAK UP!!! WHAT DID YOU SAY????

I always wanted to write a script for SNL about this.
byndbad914
QUOTE(John @ Mar 6 2008, 09:37 PM) *

(I know I'm going to be shocked, and reply something like "When I was young, you could see 10 bands for a nickel.") This is why I call myself a geezer.

That varies depending on what you are seeing frankly. So, old arena bands making a reunion are $$$$... VH was something like $175/seat after fees and not necessarily "killer" seats, just "good" seats at the Pepsi Center (typical sports arena size venue like Long Beach Sports Arena, etc). I didn't buy a ticket for fear of exactly what almost happened in Dallas... I was just certain that was going to go about 2 shows and then Eddie would start whining like the jackass he is (and as a guitarist I know damn near every VH song and consider him a genius and really wanted to go). I tried to buy tix at the last minute for about $200 each but really wanted good seats and just was never the first to reply.

Police at RR was something like $215 or $225 right up front first section (had it been VH I woulda paid that to be that close at RR), but the next level of seating was $94. Ruthless, but with fees we are in at $111 per ticket.

Now, I saw Slayer at the Fillmore (auditorium size venue) last year for like $40 w/ fees IIRC, Machine Head at the Gothic for $25 (old theater, awesome small show) and The Mars Volta was at the Fox (like the Gothic) for $30 recently. So a lot of bands are around $30 if they are a known band. Small local bands, tho' they typically blow, much cheaper.

I remember similar stuff - I saw slayer for $20 bucks back in the early 90s in Corona, CA and a bizillion other bands around Orange and Riverside Counties for $15-$20 from the late 80s thru the 90s. Went to an all day "sick and twisted" punk show at Glen Helen, which was just a bad idea as the kids DESTROYED the place and basically rioted because security was far too strict for a punk show, for $25 or something like that.

But my first "real" concert was Motley Crue at the LA Forum circa 1989 and I can't recall the ticket price but I can remember thinking it was crazy smile.gif was probably $25 or $30 hahaha laugh.gif

What sucks are the goddamn FEES. That is such a freakin' racket as if you want to buy tickets to pretty much any show, you HAVE to use TicketMaster or whatever it is called these days and you HAVE to pay the fees.
Eric_Shea

More than a set of scales... dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.