Dr. Roger
stock engine/starter?
stock battery location?

see chart here
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
spunone
icon_bump.gif somebody gots to know
Borderline
I don't know the size, but in the past I have bought welding cable from a welding supply to make my own battery cables. worked good. The better the cable the better the engine will spin over. biggrin.gif
spunone
High torque Starter 2.0 motor battery location in rear trunk
Joe Bob
Big is GUD.....I use 0 gauge on my hand built Speedster and the 6volt 356 I just re did. They were BOTH getting hot when cranking using the kit supplied cables.

The electric cars guys use welding cable and then crimp there own lugs and connectors. There is a special tool that cuts cable like butter. Just don't use on anything else....destroys the tool.
spunone
Thanks Z going Big maybe #1
Spoke
I've used either 2-gauge or 4-gauge from my FLAPS.
Matt Meyer
Never used him and I am not affiliated but I think I will buy my next set from this guy. Custom Battery Cables
His connections look top notch. He doesn't offer a black cable with a red stripe though.

His thoughts on battery cable size: What size cable do you need?
Joe Bob
I think 0/2/4 are the sizes.....
Dr. Roger
Hey Paul,
Another thing to consider is strand count. The more strands, the more pliable, and longer life it will live.
I'd go larger than 0 IMHO.
.32" diameter seems a little small for a couple hundred Amps, doesn't it?

=-O
jk76.914
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Mar 4 2008, 03:25 AM) *

Hey Paul,
Another thing to consider is strand count. The more strands, the more pliable, and longer life it will live.
I'd go larger than 0 IMHO.
.32" diameter seems a little small for a couple hundred Amps, doesn't it?

=-O

agree.gif You can get wire with much higher strand count at boating supply stores. It's much more flexible. I went locally to West Marine and bought mine by the foot. The strands in their "marine grade" battery cable are individually plated as well, for corrosion resistance. They also sell heavy duty lugs, shrink sleeving with sealant inside, and an inexpensive lug crimping tool. You put the lug in it, put the cable in the lug, and whack it with a hammer. Shrink the sleeving over it, and you're done.
ericread
Keep in mind that electrons travel on the outside of a wire. Therefore, the more strands, the larger the surface area, and the better for the cable to carry current.

Stranded cable rocks! aktion035.gif
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Borderline @ Mar 3 2008, 08:08 AM) *

I don't know the size, but in the past I have bought welding cable from a welding supply to make my own battery cables. worked good. The better the cable the better the engine will spin over. biggrin.gif

Thats exactly how I wired my car. Welding cable is great and very pliable. I borrowed a hydraulic crimper to put the ends on. I slid some heat shrink on before crimping. They look factory made but are much better
Joe Ricard
Boat store get the marine stuff I used 4ga. and soldered copper eyes on the ends with heat shrink covers.
jk76.914
I'm using AWG 2. Not sure I'd be able to solder- lots of mass to heat up. Here's a pic. The terminal is also marine. Easy to disconnect.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Mar 5 2008, 08:14 AM) *

I'm using AWG 2. Not sure I'd be able to solder- lots of mass to heat up.

Soldering heavy wire is easy with a LP torch. Just be careful not to burn the insulation.
spunone
Ok Went with the # 2 welding wire crimped and soldered the ends and heat shink should work great . Thanks All beer.gif
zonedoubt
QUOTE(Matt Meyer @ Mar 3 2008, 10:36 AM) *

His thoughts on battery cable size: What size cable do you need?

His numbers are wrong. See here:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/awg-wire-gauge-d_731.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.