Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this piece on the oil cap?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete914
What's the piece on the oil filler cap and what is its purpose?
IPB Image
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Picture insn,t that clear. But if you are talking about the round filter at right

angle to the cap. It,s a after market filter that is trying to filter grank case

pressure and fumes. Not very well!!!! I had one like it ,it blew oil mist all over the

top of the engine. If you are looking to vent and filter the crankcase go to a VW

shop and get a remote one there. Vent from PCV valve into remote ,vent it into top

of air cleaner. Oh yes don,t forget to remove the guts from the PCV.

Dave slap.gif
ClayPerrine
FYI... Dave, that won't work on this engine. This is a 1.8, and it doesn't have a PCV valve.

pete914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 3 2008, 12:02 PM) *

FYI... Dave, that won't work on this engine. This is a 1.8, and it doesn't have a PCV valve.

Okay, right now I have a tube running from the oil filler to the air cleaner on my single carb setup. should I do the same thing with duals (about to switch)? just have the blowoff go to one or both carbs?
thanks guys...
Brando
If you're going to have a stock heat setup, its not a good idea to vent into the engine bay like the picture shown. All them bad oil vapors you're trying to avoid just get sucked through the engine and pumped into the cab. I'd run it to a real vent tank or rebreather tank and run the air vent for that out of the engine bay, preferably under.

QUOTE(pete914 @ Mar 3 2008, 07:46 AM) *
What's the piece on the oil filler cap and what is its purpose?
IPB Image

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(pete914 @ Mar 3 2008, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 3 2008, 12:02 PM) *

Okay, right now I have a tube running from the oil filler to the air cleaner on my single carb setup. should I do the same thing with duals (about to switch)? just have the blowoff go to one or both carbs?
thanks guys...

That depends on the filler cap. The 1.8L has a different oil filler assembly because of the L-jet injection. This is a 1.8L filler cap, so it has a very large hole on it to hook to the air intake tube. It also doesn't have a PCV valve or head breather tubes.

If you have a 1.7 or 2.0, you have a different filler cap assembly, and Dave's directions are spot on.

pete914
this is what I ordered. How do you suggest I hook it up? one tube coming from the oil filler cap into this box and then vent out the engine tin? seems a little funky...
The guy at CB performance suggested running tubes from the valve covers and then into the air cleaners (drill a hole).
Suggestions?
IPB Image
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(pete914 @ Mar 3 2008, 04:57 PM) *

this is what I ordered. How do you suggest I hook it up? one tube coming from the oil filler cap into this box and then vent out the engine tin? seems a little funky...
The guy at CB performance suggested running tubes from the valve covers and then into the air cleaners (drill a hole).
Suggestions?
IPB Image

Find a filler neck with the PCV valve. It will replace the one for the L-Jet. Hook it to the breather box,and use the two tubes provided in the valve covers.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.