Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 15 x 9" and 10" Minilites are back
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
G e o r g e
anyone bought any of these yet

the salesman tells me he can have the offsets made in

The range available on the 9" rim is from 95 to 131 mm, and for the 10", 120 to 140 mm. We can custom build to your choice within these ranges at no additional cost.

pricing seems pretty good , well compared to 9" Fuchs

In the traditional plain silver, the 15 x 9 is priced at $279 each, and the 15 x 10 is $308 a piece, both FOB Minilite in England. Within the range that I detailed, these can be made to the offset/backspace of your choice at no additional cost.

TravisNeff
Nice, can they come in 16" rather than 15"?? Tires are tough to come by in that width for a 15" rim
G e o r g e
Travis it doesn't look like it

http://www.minilitewheels.us/
nein14
Here is a pair of 15" x 8 " Minilite aluminum wheels with the correct lug insert for Porsche lugnuts
Brando
What would pricing be (per wheel) in the 15 or 16x8 flavor for the proper early offset?
jhadler
So what are the weights??? Especially for a 15x10?

-Josh2
JPB
I don't see how he can"t drill 16" blanks out. The centers are all the same and all we need is the correct offset at desired width. beer.gif
Brando
And... do they come sealed or anodized? Anything other than exposed bare aluminum?
Krieger
I don't have any specifics, but I heard they are not so light.
sixgt
I imagine they will be pretty heavy. I used to have a set of the later sport version of the minilites that were made in alu rather than magnesium. In 15X6.5 they weighed almost 18 lbs!
horizontally-opposed
Still waiting to see someone from our community do a GT replica using either the Minilites in the rear or deep Fuchs like there, with Michelin TB5s -- my favorite tire for our cars from a visual standpoint. wub.gif

Scroll down about half way...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=395594

I'm busy imagining them on a perfect replica of the Sonauto Le Mans GT with just two deviations: black paint instead of white and slightly off-white meatballs for the numbers...

pete
jhadler
QUOTE(sixgt @ Mar 3 2008, 01:45 PM) *

I imagine they will be pretty heavy. I used to have a set of the later sport version of the minilites that were made in alu rather than magnesium. In 15X6.5 they weighed almost 18 lbs!

Good grief! I have a set of 15x8 steelies that weigh less than that! Oh well...

-Josh2
Midtowner
QUOTE(sixgt @ Mar 3 2008, 12:45 PM) *

Yes, I can confirm that the 15 x 6.5 Minilites (Aluminum) weigh 18 lbs.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Mar 3 2008, 10:45 AM) *

Tires are tough to come by in that width for a 15" rim

more like "impossible" these days.
i tried for a year to find street tires for my 9x15 wheels, no luck.

i ended up selling the wheels and opted for a set of 9x17 and 11x17 ...
shades.gif Andy
jhadler
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 3 2008, 03:05 PM) *

Tires are tough to come by in that width for a 15" rim

more like "impossible" these days.
i tried for a year to find street tires for my 9x15 wheels, no luck.

i ended up selling the wheels and opted for a set of 9x17 and 11x17 ...
shades.gif Andy

I guess if you're looking to put 'em to street use then yeah, it'll be tough...

I'm thinking of the new Hoosier DOT comp tires - 275/35-15. Same rolling diameter as a 205/50-15, but with a much larger amount of tire on the ground.

-Josh2
TravisNeff
Pack racing AKA VTO Performance, will soon be making a 15x10 wheel on a 5x130 bolt pattern their 15x8 is listed at 15.5lbs. And they make a 16x7 and 16x8 too.

http://www.vtoperformance.com/acatalog/Superlite_GTR.html
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Mar 3 2008, 06:41 PM) *

Pack racing AKA VTO Performance, will soon be making a 15x10 wheel on a 5x130 bolt pattern their 15x8 is listed at 15.5lbs. And they make a 16x7 and 16x8 too.

http://www.vtoperformance.com/acatalog/Superlite_GTR.html

Wow, I really like these rims....

If I ordered a set of 16", 4-bolt, 7" and 8", what would the offset be?

Also, what size lug nut would I order?

-- Rob
TravisNeff
Backspacing should be close to 5" to clear your fenders (on the 7's), and you will need to do some fender work to get the 8's to work -someone correct me if I am wrong. Also check Gint's thread on these wheels - he did a 15x7.

for lug holes, 14mm and 1.5 thread pitch.
watsonrx13
Thanks for the info Travis....

-- Rob
TravisNeff
I was wrong on my offset/backspacing.

We know a 16x7 boxster wheel will fit on the rear of a narrow body car, maybe (maybe not) a little pulling is required. The offset is 40mm or 5.6" backspacing

A 911 fuch 16x7 wheel has a 10.8 offset, usually a little pulling is required to get these to fit on a narrow body car. With an offset of 10.8 the backspacing is about 4.4".

I have heard that 16x8 1986 951 wheels (fuchs or phone dials) can fit the rear of a narrow body car with serious pulling and/or cut and fill fenders. They have a 23.3 offset or 5.4"

That said, I would shoot for 16x7 all around with a 35mm offset (5.35 backspace) that the Superlites are advertised with (unles you plan on serious work on the rears).

Here's an offset to backspace chart that might help.
Downunderman
Have a look at these:
http://www.performancewheels.com.au/superlite.asp
Gint
QUOTE(DownUnderMan @ Mar 4 2008, 11:25 AM) *
That's the same wheel that's being discussed. Just through Pack Racing, and American distributor. Superlite is in fact where they come (manufactured) from.

My Superlite wheel thread
orange914

Nice, can they come in 16" rather than 15"?? Tires are tough to come by in that width for a 15" rim

245x50x15 are almost non existant and 225 just behind lately. i built these 15x9.5 rims for my mustang years ago but at the time the 245's were readily avalible (911 sized).

mike
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
I really like this style wheel. Very retro cool! I wish I had a better photo on this computer, but here's Sandy's Healey.
Downunderman
There is Minilite and then everything else. I am using 15 x 7 Superlites which are not real light, but they are strong. A lot of people use them in historic racing. With 25+ offset and Dunlop DX03G 205/50/15 everything just clears on the inside and outside. The Dunlop is a biggish tyre. http://www.stuckey.com.au/tyres_details.aspx?TyreName=DZ03G

A couple of photos. The second one gives an indication of rear clearance. Its about 3mm on the outside.
gdonahoe
Here’s my car with Minilites that I bought in 2006. The fronts are 7x15 and the rears are 8 x15. I’ve been a Minilite fan since the sixties.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
QUOTE(gdonahoe @ Mar 5 2008, 07:33 PM) *

Here’s my car with Minilites that I bought in 2006. The fronts are 7x15 and the rears are 8 x15. I’ve been a Minilite fan since the sixties.

Click to view attachment

Dude that car is dead S#XY! Soooo retro cool.... wub.gif
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif drooley.gif
jgara962
agree.gif too! drooley.gif

More pictures!
gdonahoe
Thanks for the complements. A few months back I finished up an engine compartment refurbishment along with building and installing front and rear sway bars. It’s been an interesting project and a fun ride.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
sixgt
Next Car of the Month? Looks great with the minilites and the blacked out trim! thumb3d.gif
carr914
I'll second the nomination as I cast my early ballot

T.C.
sixnotfour
Next Car of the Month? Looks great with the minilites and the blacked out trim!

I think you owned that car once, Think sunny day in Tacoma, bad clutch.
sixgt
[/quote]four Posted Mar 7 2008, 04:53 PM
Next Car of the Month? Looks great with the minilites and the blacked out trim!

I think you owned that car once, Think sunny day in Tacoma, bad clutch.

No wonder I like that car. idea.gif It sure didn't look like that when I had it, it got much fatter in the hips.....
PeeGreen 914
Where are you from sixgt?
bigkensteele
QUOTE(orange914 @ Mar 4 2008, 04:20 PM) *

245x50x15 are almost non existant and 225 just behind lately. i built these 15x9.5 rims for my mustang years ago but at the time the 245's were readily avalible (911 sized).

mike
Click to view attachment

Sweet Mustang - I see the rare ribbed panel that only came on the '67 if I am not mistaken. Very Nice!
flat4
QUOTE(DownUnderMan @ Mar 5 2008, 10:41 AM) *

There is Minilite and then everything else. I am using 15 x 7 Superlites which are not real light, but they are strong. A lot of people use them in historic racing. With 25+ offset and Dunlop DX03G 205/50/15 everything just clears on the inside and outside. The Dunlop is a biggish tyre. http://www.stuckey.com.au/tyres_details.aspx?TyreName=DZ03G

A couple of photos. The second one gives an indication of rear clearance. Its about 3mm on the outside.

Hi Howard, do you use these for road use or only comp? What sort of mileage do you get?

Cheers, Steve
sixgt
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 7 2008, 10:07 PM) *

Where are you from sixgt?

I'm from Beantown, coffee bean that is! Sunny Seattle shades.gif
Downunderman
Steve,

I am using the softest compound (of 4) and mostly for competition. The ones on the car have done a 5 day event with about 250 km of racing and are about half gone. Am doing a 3 day event in may with about 160 km of racing and I think they will be shot after that if its dry. I am not sure what you would get out of them as a daily driver.

cheers,

H
orange914
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 7 2008, 10:57 PM) *

Sweet Mustang - I see the rare ribbed panel that only came on the '67 if I am not mistaken. Very Nice!

thanks... i understand they were only avalible on early 67's, as a $17 option (had to have exterior package first). fastback anf coupe panels where different because of trunk lid lines beerchug.gif ... oops hyjacked dry.gif

mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.