Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine run up stand
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StratPlayer
Over the weekend a friend and myself started to put together an engine test stand. We should have it done by wednesday. Some pics included.
HillKing
It will be nice to see your finished product. Look great!!!! You gonna put some uprights on the ass end of the tranny, for the rear support?
StratPlayer
Yes the uprights were being fabed up today. I will be taking more pics as the stand progress'. I see your from cody, wyo. hillking. I did a lot of seismic work there on carter mountain back in the 80's.
HillKing
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Mar 3 2008, 09:59 PM) *

Yes the uprights were being fabed up today. I will be taking more pics as the stand progress'. I see your from cody, wyo. hillking. I did a lot of seismic work there on carter mountain back in the 80's.

Strat---I've lived in Wyo all my life and have spent a lot of time in your area. You know SLC area is the nicest metro area in all of the US. If I wanted to live in a city it would be SL. Got much more goin for you that say SoCal, Detroit, ect. Enjoy your day.
ConeDodger
I like McMark's engine test stand. He cut the bellhousing off of a 901 and mounted a starter to it. He has a little panel with a starter switch and a green oil pressure light. It works well for anything south of a 2270 but the torque of a 2270 makes you a little nervous as it trys to jump when you rev it.
ericread
Great Stand! How did you decide which color milk crate to use? And is that a 4x6? BTW, what's the metal thing with the wheels for??? w00t.gif
StratPlayer
Got the stand buttoned up today, mounted the ECU, MPS, fuel pump and the relay board. The stand was build so it could be disassembled for better storage. Will let you know how well it holds up tomorrow when we fire up the engine.
914Sixer
Looking good, makes me want to build one!!
Gint
I'm watching this thread Jim! Keep up posted. I like it, and I'm thinking of building something like it myself.
StratPlayer
Hi Gint, got a small gas tank mounted today also got a place for the battery to sit mounted today, tomorrow gonna build the dashboard for the stand. All of these things that are mounted to the stand can come off the stand. Just nuts and bolts. Damn extra fuel pump that I had is leaking bad, have to get another one for this stand before I can fire up the engine. I'm not taking the fuel pump thats in the car out to fire up this engine I will get another pump. I will take pics of the completed stand.
StratPlayer
Well this is the finished product. Got the gas tank mounted, and the batttery holder mounted, the upright for the dash mounted. All thats left is to mount the dash and wait on a fuel pump to get here. All this stuff can be removed and the stand itself becomes a good size dolly.

First pic is of the gas tank mount.
StratPlayer
This one is where we mounted the battery holder.
StratPlayer
The upright where we're going to mount the dash.
StratPlayer
The dash itself, oil pressure gauge, power and start button.
StratPlayer
Have to fab up a holder for the muffler, the stock one won't fit cause we have the mounts in a different direction and the stock hanger won't fit, so a hanger for the stand is being fabed up now.
John
That's turning out to be nice.

I was thinking if you keep adding to it, it would make one hell of a go-cart. Add some drive wheels, some steering and a seat......
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif I was just thinking the same thing as I was reading through this.

Nice work on this. Very impressive work beerchug.gif
Gint
Very cool Jim!
StratPlayer
Finished product: Got the muffler hanger fabbed up, and got the dash mounted.
type47

tell me a little about the fuel pressure gauge in the 3rd pic. it that a permanent install or just installed while the engine is on the test stand?
StratPlayer
The fuel pressure gauge is permanent.
StratPlayer
New fuel pump arrived today and that meant firing up the engine on the new stand. The stand works just great, got the engine fired up and discovered an oil leak, thinking it might be coming from the oil pump. Thats whats great about this engine test stand, can fix the problems long before putting the engine back into the car. I love it, SWEET. So tomorrow will hunt down wheres its leaking and fix. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif aktion035.gif
StratPlayer
UPDATE: Got the oil leak fixed and got the engine back into the car today and now the car is home. Some pics of the progress:
StratPlayer
Few more
Eric_Shea
We gonna do some cruising this spring?

Looks awesome Jim! smilie_pokal.gif
dug
Really cool stand and a nice looking motor. I didn't understand why you painted the rear tin orange until I saw it in the car. Nice touch.

Looking at your stand, one thing I would do differently...
At the transmission end, I would leave the lower frame open, and take the frame up and over the tranny and mount it from above. Then you could move the engine on and off the stand on a jack like you pull it out of the car. It would have to be wide enough to pass the whole engine through.

How did you get the motor on and off? I would use offers of beer for a couple of friends, but what currency do you use in Utah? smile.gif

cheers,
dug

Gint
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 19 2008, 08:06 PM) *

We gonna do some cruising this spring?

Looks awesome Jim! smilie_pokal.gif
agree.gif It is looking great Jim. Nice work on the stand. Thanks for the details.

Any of you SL area guys going to the ALMS race at Miller in May? Thinking of driving the 914 out.
StratPlayer
We made a lifting bar for the engine to get it off of the stand. It worked well only have to lift the engine about 4 inches to get it off of the stand, the common currency in Utah is scalps. Gint myself and few other friends are plannning on going to those races.
ericread
The stand if friggin unbelieveable!!! aktion035.gif

The question is, if you hook up the tranny to the stand wheels, what do you need the rest of the car for??? driving.gif
jaminM3
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 20 2008, 05:50 AM) *

Any of you SL area guys going to the ALMS race at Miller in May? Thinking of driving the 914 out.

I have been to all the ALMS and Rolex Grand Am races out at MMP. I am going for sure. driving.gif

Are any of the SL guys going to the Air Power Racing Open House in celebration of their Rolex Grand American team this season out at MMP this Saturday. The local PCA chapter sent out invites .

RACING SEASON IS HERE!! piratenanner.gif

Oh, Nice engine test stand Strat! Are you planning on building a bunch of motors?
Eric_Shea
I'm up for the race...

T.C., score us CSOB's some tickets! biggrin.gif
StratPlayer
Some pics of the completed stand, everything comes off then it can be used as a dolly as well.
roadster fan
wub.gif

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.