Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2098cc lives
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Yes fans I finally got the engine which took me a year to build running.

I just ran it to look for oil pressure (60 PSI)
no leaks and it almost ran off the carbs as I had them set.

Just a few carb tweaks and run it to break in the cam Tuesday.

And to buy me 5 gallons of Premium. because the 10:1 compression is going to need it.
iamchappy
piratenanner.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
RJMII
Joe, congrats over here, too. ;-)

Thanks for sharing the exciting news!

-Jim
KaptKaos
WOOT!!

Atta Boy!
championgt1
Nice!! I will drunk.gif to that! smilie_pokal.gif
biosurfer1
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Nice job...better buy those 5 gallons of premium soon with the way gas prices are shooting up!
Brett W
specs?
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Brett W @ Mar 3 2008, 11:11 PM) *

specs?

All your crap I bought from you last year. and pistons I bought from URY914, and crank, rods, Balance, Dizzy and assorted stuffs from Raby, Tangerine from Chris, Heads from my old hopped up 2.0L. Full flow Oil pump from CB.
All that makes a 2098cc

And to top it off I got new race rubber last night. piratenanner.gif
degreeoff
I am a slippin and a slidin right down that slope with ya!...video? video video.....
Brett W
You should sell it back to me, since you can't use all that power anyway.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Brett W @ Mar 4 2008, 09:19 AM) *

You should sell it back to me, since you can't use all that power anyway.

NOT!! chair.gif
Allan
Nice Joe!!!
Chris Pincetich
A 2098 - way to be different! Who needs a proven combo when you can have a super special secret combo.
smile.gif
As a fellow racer and one day engine builder I'm curious about what all that cost ya. If ya don't feel like $#s, let's try this for fun...in the order of most expensive to least. I'm guessing
CFR header>Parts from TIV Store>Balance service>old head work(past cost)>parts from Brett>parts from URY.
I think you and URY are friendly, so he gave you the best deal beerchug.gif
Lookin forward to your comments on how it works at full speed beerchug.gif
Joe Ricard
Pretty much in that order of expense. I don't know bought the header 2 years ago. I forgot most of the prices I paid for the parts off this site.

Probably 2000 minus the header. and heads and 40 IDF's Total Mallory ignition Because I already had that stuff.
My labor is where the real money went.

I test fit and mocked up the heads so many times I could do it minutes.
I re-balanced the pistons after making reliefs in them for the valves to clear.
Cut push rods
fit full flow type 1 oil pump
full flow and plugged the case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BWT5rVP98U
rhodyguy
joe, what did you do to the 40s to compliment the displacement? if they still have the 28s, i should think that would stiffle the topend a bit. with the components you used it sounds like it would spin up nicely.

k
JPB
Gonna put it on a dyno and see some numbers? beer.gif
Borderline
Hey Joe it sounds pretty nice. What bore & stroke? 2098 doesn't show up on my spreadsheet. What cam are you running? I've got 40's on my 1911 with 32 vents, I'm thinkin you may want to go to 44's. How high you gonna rev it?
Joe Ricard
I have 40 IDF's with 32 vents.
97mm x 71mm

It hauled ass with these heads before and I only wound it up to 6250 RPM. I intend to wind it to 7500 when it gets broken in.

If it runs out of steam I have some 44's with 38 vents.
Brett W
It should pull like a freight train from 3K to redline with those carbs. Should work well for the autocross stuff. I think the 44s would be a little soggy down low.
ChrisFoley
If you want to make power to 7500rpm with the 40's, you should open up the top plates to the same diameter as the main bore, trim off the ring around the secondary vents, and put in 36mm chokes.
72914S
Don`t forget that there is a dyno over in P`cola just have to make an appointment. If I get my engine together soon, might get a special rate for two.
Joe Ricard
Battle of the Red Neck two Liters.

I say we just settle it with a god old fashioned race 0 - 100 and back.
Your car will do 100 right? biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
Here's what I mean about trimming the secondary venturi:
Click to view attachment

I've gone even beyond this in my primary race carbs.
A look down the throat of my ultimate prep Webers:
Click to view attachment

The top plate is cut to transition smoothly from the v-stack at the top to the carb body beneath. All the gaskets are carefully trimmed to the edge of the holes. I even made filler rings where the linkage plate goes in between, because the id of the holes is bigger than the carb throat. I even shaped the pump jet where it sticks into the throat.
rhodyguy
cool stuff chris. i bet they flow like mad. did the mods smooth out the transition? what's the displacement of the engine those are on?

k

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 6 2008, 09:56 AM) *

cool stuff chris. i bet they flow like mad. did the mods smooth out the transition? what's the displacement of the engine those are on?

k

What transition? These are meant for WOT, besides my 1.8L RAT FProd engine has nothing below 4500rpm. It practically stalls if I open the throttle too fast at low revs.
The primary vents in the pic are 37.5mm, not much of a pressure change through them to boost fuel delivery at low rpm.
I have to remember to put in a set of my 36 vents before I go racing again, due to a rules change after Mark Hotchkiss won the Runoffs.
Joe Ricard
I remember the thread WAY back when you posted those pics.

Anyway been tooling around town all day in my 914. PERFECT day 68 degrees sunny
Throttle response
Pinned my head against the back of the head rest (WOOT)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.