Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In Hell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rascobo
As usual, after finishing a minor electrical project (installing an alarm pin switch wire), I've created a major one. 1st, lost left fr. blinker(very dim).switched wires positions and blew fuse 11. Reversed wires again, replaced fuse and found I'd lost right fr. & rear Parking Lts and all turn signals, except Emergency Flashers. In any case in going thru the system checking and cleaning connections, I disconnected front park/turn assemblies and failed to note wire positions. The lamp markings( 57, 31, BL,) don't jive with the elec. diagrams( 49,58,). If anyone can enlighten me as to which post the parking lt. or blinker wire connects to I can deduce the other and avoid adding another problem to the mix.

Bye the way, in trying to regain functioning lights, I've replaced light sw., emer. flasher sw. and flasher unit/relay. inspected column switch and connectors, but still no change and light switch is overheating (short somewhere?). I plan to next check rear light connections for possible shorts and fuse panel for proper wiring location. Been trying to track this for over a week. and I'm stumped, any ideas welcomed.

73' 4.3L widebody teener
SirAndy
confused24.gif

maybe someone else can help ...
shades.gif Andy
Spoke
I don't have a schematic in front of me so can't comment on the lamp markings.

If your system was working before installing the alarm pin switch, try to get back to that point. Replacing switches and relays will not do a thing if some other wires are connected incorrectly. Chances are if your system was working correctly before, then the changes were done by you so the real goal is to, pardon my French, un-fuck what you fucked up.

Disconnect the alarm pin switch and any other extra wiring.

Use your schematic like a road map. Find one lamp that doesn't work and follow its wires from the lamp to the fuse or switch. Do this both on the schematic and on the car. Continue this until you fix all wiring issues.

Last point, in general, never remove a wire before tagging the wire with tape and a magic marker to ID the wire. Once pulled, all wires look alike so mark all wires and draw pictures of multiple pin connectors and which wires go where.
rascobo
Jeez Dad, I didn't know YOU were a member.
ejm
QUOTE(rascobo @ Mar 3 2008, 09:49 PM) *

The lamp markings( 57, 31, BL,) don't jive with the elec. diagrams

Term 31 is ground, this will be the brown wire
Term 57 is parking light, this will be the grey wire with red or black stripe
Term BL is the signal light, this is the black wire with the white or green stripe
rascobo
QUOTE(ejm @ Mar 4 2008, 03:49 PM) *

QUOTE(rascobo @ Mar 3 2008, 09:49 PM) *

The lamp markings( 57, 31, BL,) don't jive with the elec. diagrams

Term 31 is ground, this will be the brown wire
Term 57 is parking light, this will be the grey wire with red or black stripe
Term BL is the signal light, this is the black wire with the white or green stripe

Thanks 'ejm' that was just what I was looking for. aktion035.gif
stephenaki
QUOTE(rascobo @ Mar 4 2008, 02:53 PM) *

Jeez Dad, I didn't know YOU were a member.

av-943.gif

My son would have said the same thing; I am getting ready to delve into electrical problems myself, good luck.
McMark
Once pulled, all wires look alike

Except for that handy color coding thing... laugh.gif cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.