Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who has a corner balance setup in the San Francisco East Bay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
I want to do the best I can my first time out at an actual AX. chowtime.gif

I'm looking in to welding-up a set of bathroom scale cantilever pads right now.

driving.gif

Like these bad boys.....

IPB Image
J P Stein
I've used them......they work and are surprisingly accurate if you take the time to
adjust each scale against to known weight in the 100-150 lb range. The multiple is 4 for actual weight.

I've seen them F/S on evilbay.
Dave_Darling
Roger Kraus Racing in Oakland (I think) does corner-balancing.

I have read that the bathroom scale setups are pretty finicky to set up so you get consistent readings. Makes sense to me... But it sounds like they've worked for JP.

--DD
John
I have been successfully been using my own home-brewed version of Ruggles' scales for many years now. There is some amount of getting the car set onto the scale lever arms, but I feel that they give good results.

I recently found that exact picture and one of the guys here at work is in the process of fabricating a set.

They sure beat the heck out of a set of real race scales when it comes down to price. I'm a CSOB with real shallow pockets.

I did find a set of $899 scales, but that still seems too high.

Racer's Edge Race Car Scales
Krieger
The racers group did mine a few years back and it was about $250-300. But my car was really close.
Demick
That setup in the picture should work very well and be very accurate. It has rollers at the scale, pivots at each wheel support, and a v-channel for the inboard resting pivot.

I've seen other setups without the appropriate pivot points (especially on the wheel support pads) which wouldn't be accurate at all.
Borderline
I have a set of scales, but you're gonna have to drive a ways. I'm probably at least 100 miles south of you. dry.gif
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(Borderline @ Mar 4 2008, 12:11 PM) *

I have a set of scales, but you're gonna have to drive a ways. I'm probably at least 100 miles south of you. dry.gif

San Juan Bautista is exactly 100 miles from me. =-)

It's on the way to King City and Ft. Hunter Liggett. I drive through there regularly but always in my Tacoma as our roads are rough on the ranch.

I really appreciate the offer and will keep looking. Thanks. beerchug.gif
Dr. Roger
OK guys and gals.

I got the rear camber and ride height close today. smash.gif

Still lookin' fer a corner balance setup locally. type.gif

Y'all know someone who knows someone who might have a setup such as this? pray.gif

popcorn[1].gif

andys
Any stock car shops near by? The Saturday nighters' are a pretty friendly group; probably charge you next to nothing too.

Andys
Dr. Roger
Dang Andys!!

One call to a friend who races circle track and his neighbor, who does the same, has a complete corner balance setup.

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Didn't even think about him.

beerchug.gif drunk.gif
Cap'n Krusty
This guy used to be in SLO. Word is he's the best. People used to come up from LA to have him set up their cars. Now he's in your area.

http://www.griggsracing.com/

The Cap'n
andys
Roger,

Glad it worked out for you. Never forget about the stock car crowd; they race far more often than any other form of racing and they churn out cars and parts like it's no tomorrow!! Nice too that you can usually find them at the shop Thursday and Friday nights getting ready for the weekend. Ron Hornaday used to have a chassis shop just up the road from my house where I'd by tubing and parts; minimum of a half dozen cars in there at any given time.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.