Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: How should I ship a pallet of lead/acid batteries from Maryland to
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
A family member is being gifted a pallet, or more, of large lead/acid 12V batteries.

Greyhound doesn't ship hazardous materials.
UPS, FedEx,... will ship for an arm and a leg.

All ideas are greatly appreciated. smile.gif

Roger
PThompson509
Find a friend to drive a penske truck for you. Penske does one-way rentals and has very reliable equipment. Bound to be cheaper than UPS (pronounced oops) and more reliable to boot (Ooops has lost too many of my packages lately).

Best of luck!
Peter
Dr. Roger
Yep, that is a good suggestion.
I don't know the cost curve yet but I will figure that out today.

=)

Anyone else?

Cheers,
Roger
McMark
You don't need a full size truck, just a van, suv, or minivan. Any rental place has those.
r_towle
maryland to where???
Yellow Freight is cheap.

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Mar 4 2008, 02:01 PM) *

A family member is being gifted a pallet, or more, of large lead/acid 12V batteries.

Greyhound doesn't ship hazardous materials.
UPS, FedEx,... will ship for an arm and a leg.

All ideas are greatly appreciated. smile.gif

Roger

What!!!!!!? Time for Cap'n Krusty, Defender of the English Language, to step in. "Gifted"? "Gift" is NOT a verb. "Give" is a verb, and "is being given" describes what is happening here (other than the massacre of the language, I mean). Gifted is an adverb generally used to describe a person with unusual gifts, like an idiot savant, a woman with spectacular features, or a football star.

"Gifted", used in this context, sounds like fingernails scraping across a blackboard .....................

You may now go back to our regularly scheduled programming .......... The Cap'n

Cap'n Krusty
News flash!!!!!!!!!!!! The slaughter of the English language goes on in yet another place. Just after I posted my little language rant, I read an e-mail from Woot, linking me to a FedEx tracking site, where I learned my package has left the "sortation center"! WHAT!? That's not even a word! I feel like the little Dutch kid, holding back the North Sea .......................... The Cap'n
gary gartner

I feel your pain, Cap'n
I applaud your comittment to the cause
and from what I see almost daily in Corporate America,
I fear the North Sea may win----

Can't hurt to try though beer.gif
Gary

banger
Fedex freight will do it. I have had 2000 pounds of batteries shipped for $500
r_towle
QUOTE(gary gartner @ Mar 5 2008, 04:29 PM) *

I feel your pain, Cap'n
I applaud your comittment to the cause
and from what I see almost daily in Corporate America,
I fear the North Sea may win----

Can't hurt to try though beer.gif
Gary

I applaud your comittment to the cause.
From what I see almost daily in corporate America, I fear the North Sea may win.

Spelling, punctiation, and grammar are all intertwined.

I suck at this, but I married an english major who is an editor..so she helps me when I have to send out something important.

Rich
jd74914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 5 2008, 03:45 PM) *

What!!!!!!? Time for Cap'n Krusty, Defender of the English Language, to step in. "Gifted"? "Gift" is NOT a verb. "Give" is a verb, and "is being given" describes what is happening here (other than the massacre of the language, I mean). Gifted is an adverb generally used to describe a person with unusual gifts, like an idiot savant, a woman with spectacular features, or a football star.

"Gifted", used in this context, sounds like fingernails scraping across a blackboard .....................

You may now go back to our regularly scheduled programming .......... The Cap'n

Err, Krusty one, gifted is a verb (at least so says my American Heritage Dictionary). biggrin.gif

So in this case it should be 'has been gifted.' laugh.gif
Cap'n Krusty

"The Free Dictionary"

gift·ed (gftd)
adj.
1. Endowed with great natural ability, intelligence, or talent: a gifted child; a gifted pianist.
2. Revealing special talent: a gifted rendition of the aria.

"Merriam Webster's Online Dictionary"

Main Entry:
gift·ed Listen to the pronunciation of gifted
Pronunciation:
\ˈgif-təd\
Function:
adjective
Date:

1 : having great natural ability : talented <gifted children> 2 : revealing a special gift <gifted voices>
— gift·ed·ly adverb
— gift·ed·ness noun

There IS, I've discovered, an obscure second usage as a transitive verb:

Main entry: 2gift
Function:
transitive verb
Date:
circa 1550

1 : to endow with some power, quality, or attribute 2 : present <generously gifted us with a copy — Saturday Review>
— gift·ee Listen to the pronunciation of giftee \ˌgif-ˈtē\ noun

This confirms that I am, at least in part, wrong. Doesn't make the usage any less awkward and stilted .................. The Cap'n
jd74914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 5 2008, 05:23 PM) *

This confirms that I am, at least in part, wrong. Doesn't make the usage any less awkward and stilted .................. The Cap'n

I totally agree. smile.gif
brer
an object can be "gifted" to someone. There is also "to gift" and the act of "gifting"

yur wrong Cap'n.
spunone
Heh aint dis bout shippin batreys av-943.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(brer @ Mar 5 2008, 03:29 PM) *

an object can be "gifted" to someone. There is also "to gift" and the act of "gifting"

yur wrong Cap'n.

And which dictionary are YOU using ........................ ? The Cap'n
Rand
The digression is almost comical here. Oh wait, is "digression" a word? Oh, good, it is. Phew!! (Oh wait, is THAT a word? Oh good, it is too!) Damn, better not start passing out beers in THIS garage. laugh.gif Love ya Cap'n.

Any good dictionary has a verb form of gift. Here's an official online reference to "gifted" for you:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?db=*&q=gifted

tr.v. gift·ed, gift·ing, gifts
1. To present something as a gift to.
2. To endow with.

WOW! Good luck Roger beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Wow, what a way to take over this thread!

Roger, I would try a common carrier, there are lots of trucking company's out there that can ship your stuff. Yellow is a good one, and I would get a quote from them, and (if your cocky enough) ask them for other company's names.. or do a search online.

Good luck!
Cap'n Krusty
I suppose if you're into Middle English, something's that been out of common usage for, oh, a thousand years or so (give or take a couple of hundred), it's acceptable.

It appears to me it's use as a transitive verb seems most common among people who believe the income tax is illegal as well as other scammers. In fact my ex uses it a lot, and she falls into that general category ......................... The Cap'n
Dr. Roger
Cap'n,
Much love is being sent your way. =)

Others,
Thanks for the lead on Fed Ex Freight and Yellow Freight. We'll check 'em out tomorrow.

ws91420
How many batteries? Figure avg 40 lbs a battery. A concern for whatever company that you use it will be considered a Hazardous Material so may be a surcharge there as well. It also limits what else they can carry on the same loaded and how its loaded depending on how they are packaged.
rick 918-S
Question:

Are the batteries new?

Are they name brand?

Instead of the actual batteries, could the gift're poke.gif give you the equal amount of cash for the batteries and your Maryland person could just purchase the batteries in Maryland?

Could you sell the batteries where your located and send your Maryland person the check to purchase batteries in Maryland?

Can we find another way to torment the Captn with incorrect english and or spelling ? av-943.gif
jd74914
Many people have suggested renting a van and driving . . . is out-gasing a concerned when a ton of batteries are in an enclosed space?
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 5 2008, 08:52 PM) *

Question:

Are the batteries new?

Are they name brand?

Instead of the actual batteries, could the gift're poke.gif give you the equal amount of cash for the batteries and your Maryland person could just purchase the batteries in Maryland?

Could you sell the batteries where your located and send your Maryland person the check to purchase batteries in Maryland?

Can we find another way to torment the Captn with incorrect english and or spelling ? av-943.gif

Geez Rick, now you've got me thinking...
I know this guy won't sell the batteries for us. But to maybe strike a deal with a local Teener friend, in Maryland, to cash out the batteries and purchase them new in Cali. Might be a better way to go. Little cash made for the friend in Maryland and a little made here.

idea.gif

I've never been the antagonist type. It's just not in me. =)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.