Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project 91X - The Ugly Duckling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hydra.
First off, I've been dreaming of building a nice V8ed 914 for a while now. I considered several engine choices before finally settling on the Audi PT-code V8 and 016 tranny combo. For those of you who don't know, the Audi PT displaces 3.6L, and makes 247bhp as-installed in the Audi V8, with restrictive intake/exhaust. Engine's biggest pros are that it weighs ~180kg dry and is a very compact ~500mm in length, making it perfect for the 914. Another huge advantage is that it mates to an off-the-shelf Audi transaxle, which in my specific case should be strong enough for ~500bhp, since I have the uber-rare V8-version of the 016, complete with internal oil pump and stronger gears, etc.. So no messing around with adapter plates, custom clutches, etc, but I digress... I plan on eventually building up the engine a little in the future (ported/milled heads and maybe a set of cams if the budget permits) as well as doing some pretty aggressive weight reduction akin to what Paul (URY914) did on his car, but all in due time.

After much procrastination, I finally got started with my project today by stripping the car out. Here are some pics, but be warned, they're not pretty... biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I will finish stripping the car out by tomorrow probably, after that I'll start taking the car down to bare metal, patch up a few rusty spots, etc.. After that I can get started with the fun stuff, namely getting the Audi V8 drivetrain in there! tongue.gif

Stay tuned for more pics!
Slider
sounds like a cool project and i like the fact you are using an Audi V8 its something different and keeping it german..nice.

good luck with the project and keep us posted with pics.!
Eric_Shea
91X backward is X19

wink.gif
alpha434
Was that a european car? Where did the air cleaner come from? Bus?

Sounds like a good project!

Oh. And the Fiat X1/9 is our nemesis in autocross. It's like the Elan to our 356. The Mustang to our Camero. The chips to our fries.

Change the name, and you should be G2G.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 4 2008, 02:40 PM) *

91X backward is X19

wink.gif

Ouch... Click to view attachment

Audi...Nice.
Hydra.
LOL...
You know the thought never crossed my mind! The reason I ended calling it
"Project 91X" was because I had originally wanted to go with my Mustang 5.0 engine, and I was looking for a more original title than 914-8 or 918. Then it hit me... 914 + 5.0 = 919. What made it all the better was the fact that there was never any Porsche with a 919 factory designation. I ended up selling the engine and buying the Audi, and I really couldn't call it 917.6 (914+3.6) so I went with "nine-one-ecks" instead
I really dig the "919" though, I might end up putting a 919 emblem on the rear anyway, just to make ppl go wtf... biggrin.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Mar 4 2008, 05:53 PM) *

Sounds like a good project!

Oh. And the Fiat X1/9 is our nemesis in autocross. It's like the Elan to our 356. The Mustang to our Camero. The chips to our fries.

Change the name, and you should be G2G.

The plates on the cars behind it are from across the pond somewhere (Europe/Middle East maybe?). idea.gif

Cool project, keep us updated. I'm really interested to see how it turns out. beerchug.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Mar 4 2008, 03:05 PM) *

The plates on the cars behind it are from across the pond somewhere (Europe/Middle East). idea.gif

Cool project, keep us updated. I'm really interested to see how it turns out. beerchug.gif

I noticed that myself, where ya at dude?
Hydra.
You guys sure have a sharp eye...
I'm in Lebanon, and my car is actually US-spec (VIN-tag on windshield, mph speedo, red indicators, etc..)
SirAndy
QUOTE(Hydra. @ Mar 4 2008, 03:12 PM) *

I'm in Lebanon, and my car is actually US-spec (VIN-tag on windshield, mph speedo, red indicators, etc..)

nice project! can't wait to see the progress ... smilie_pokal.gif

what kind of front turn signal lenses did it have? looks like someone went through a lot of trouble adding some aftermarket buckets ...
idea.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
I think it should be called the "N-audi"
SirAndy
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Mar 4 2008, 02:53 PM) *

looks like a stock euro-spec carbed engine ... the air-filter is similar to the T3 assembly and was used on carbed engines in europe ...
shades.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Hydra. @ Mar 4 2008, 03:12 PM) *

It was that carb setup, looks stock. The only 914's that had carbs stock, that I

knew of, was a euro model. Have fun...
Hydra.
Its very possible that the engine (or at least the FI setup) could have been replaced with a dual-carb setup at some point, who knows... I'll be saving all the stock driveline bits for my other Euro L30E '72 which is to remain unmodified and unmolested biggrin.gif

Oh and Andy,
It appears as thought the car was involved in a front-end collision at some point. I would imagine that the stock housings/lenses were FUBARed, and since suitable replacements couldn't be sourced, they adapted something similar-looking in their place. I'll post up pics of the replacement housings/lenses tomorrow, as I really have no clue what they might be off of.

PS - Stale gasoline smells really aweful! tongue.gif
charliew
You gonna salvage the steering wheel? I bet it could be redone.
Charliew
Porcharu
Have you addressed the lack of bottom end parts for this engine? I was very seriously looking at doing the exact swap that you are doing. At the time - about 2 years ago bottom end parts were not available the whole short block was a service part. This is a concern as the bores are aluminum and many of the used engines are pretty tired and need a rebuild. The heads are supposedly 16 valve VW (one is a mirror image casting) so valves etc are not a problem.
That engine should fit real nice into the 914. Good luck.
Hydra.
charliew,
I will definitely be salvaging the steering wheel, as it shouldn't be too difficult (I've got 4-5 others including a genuine /6 wheel should anybody want one) Although I plan on using a nice Momo Prototypo once all is said and done.

Porcharu,
These engines are so cheap to replace that it would be cheaper to just replace a tired motor than to rebuild it. And from what I understand, those Alusil bores last a mighty long time... Besides, most engines would have led relatively unstressed lives behind a slushbox in a 2-ton luxobarge. As for the seeming lack of bottom end parts, this seems to be more of an issue for the 4.2L version than the 3.6L, and even then it was discovered that V6 bearings fit, although one would have to buy 2 sets..
So.Cal.914

2-ton luxobarge

Click to view attachment

Luxobarge...Very discriptive.
Hydra.
I know this isn't a terribly exciting update, but I removed the headlight assemblies and front fenders today. As you can see the driver-side front corner has been in a prang before, and was the subject of a rather poor repair job (to put it politely). The fenders were actually gas welded along their length, so we ended up cutting them off with a blowtorch dry.gif

The front end is going to need quite a bit of work to repair that unsightly crash damage, even after I cut off all the excess metal, but all in due time.

Tomorrow I plan on taking as much of the longs, firewall, floorpan, etc.. down to bare metal in an effort to repair all the rust spots we find, and uncover all the factory spot welds, but more on that later...

Here are some pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

So.Cal.914
It's nice to see you moving forward, do you have a doner for the frontend parts?
Hydra.
Paul,
I should have all the donor parts I need, but I had a very minimal front-end in mind, something akin to what URY914 has done to his car (check the pic below), my goal is to get this thing down to no more than 750kg dry weight , and to do so its going to take a lot of cutting. I have a pair of aftermarket 935 slantnose fiberglass fenders and front bumper, and I'm very curious to see how they'd look on a teener. I'll probably mock them up or something tomorrow, just for the hell of it. I'm still undecided about what to do about the Targa bar and windshield frame. I'm 100% sure that the car would look better with both of them in place, but I'm not sure I'm willing to put up with the ensuing weight penalty, so I'm tempted to go with a 914 speedster of sorts, like the infamous silver German car with the Carrera 3.2L, but I realize that it would entail a lot of extra time, effort, and $$ for me.

Just for the sake of discussion, how much do the stock targa bar and windshield assembly (screen and framework) weigh? I realize that weight would need to be added in their place, I'm looking for a "gross" number here..
So.Cal.914
The first pic is a chalon, the 935 slant look you are talking about. I saw that

George at http://autoatlanta.com/ is selling the kit now.

The second pic is a photoshop project I did, It has the things done you mentioned,

the windscreen is chopped and targa bar removed. I like it.

I don't know how much the two weigh. Oh and just to mention, the whole 911

frontend(suspension), 1989 and down, will bolt right in. 5 lugs and a much larger

choice of wheels.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hydra.
Latest update... I got the car sandblasted this morning, and here are the pics. Sorry for the blurry image quality, as I forgot my camera in macro mode. I should take some better close-up pics tomorrow when I get the car primered, but it looks like I have a LOT of bodywork in store for me! smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Hydra.
Some more pics for your viewing (dis)pleasure biggrin.gif
Hydra.
Here's a pic of the poor donor car a few days before it gets dismantled...
SirAndy
looks like you got plenty of sand for the blasting! biggrin.gif

amazing how much better they look once all the crap is gone. below are two pics of a 914/6 that we had acid dipped ...
bye1.gif Andy

before:

Click to view attachment

and after:

Click to view attachment
Hydra.
Up close and personal... Did I mention that this thing even came with heated rear seats?

PS Andy, the acid-dipped 914 looks brand spanking new!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.