Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Hose Adapter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
Here's the result of my latest effort:
A 3/8" to 5/16" stainless adapter with proper hose beads.
This is the prototype. I still have to fine tune the process so I can make them quickly.
drgchapman
That is so needed. I'm in process right now of figuring out how to make that transition work. Installing your SS fuel lines, relocating fuel pump forward...yada yada.

Wanna send a prototype? I need it now. I'm used to testing things in my orthodontic practice and writing up results.......
swl
I've always wondered about the adapter hose. Where does it do it's work. I can't find anywhere on my 73 1.7 where there seems to be a difference between one and and the other.

Second question. We hear frequent rants from a trusted source about the evils of replacing metric fuel hoses with British sizes. I assume that for hard lines that is not a problem because the bell forces the seal. Correct?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(swl @ Mar 5 2008, 12:54 PM) *

I've always wondered about the adapter hose. Where does it do it's work.

According to the parts manual it goes between the plastic supply line and filter.
Second question. We hear frequent rants from a trusted source about the evils of replacing metric fuel hoses with British sizes. I assume that for hard lines that is not a problem because the bell forces the seal. Correct?

The factory hoses were 9 and 7 mm. Thats about .380" and .280" dia. My SS lines are 3/8" and 5/16" or .375" and .312". 3/8" hose fits tightly enough onto the 9mm hard plastic but 5/16 hose is loose on 7mm plastic line.
swl
Had a blonde moment there - we are talking OD not ID. 9mm is actually .354" - that would be outside diameter on the hard line. That means your imperial hardlines are slightly larger than the metric plastic tubes - the fit is going to be tighter not looser.

Substituting imperial for metric on rubber lines (inside diameter) = loose fit. Not good.
Substituting imperial for metric on hard (plastic) lines (outside diameter)= tight fit. Good.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(swl @ Mar 8 2008, 08:28 AM) *

Had a blonde moment there - we are talking OD not ID. 9mm is actually .354"

No blonde problem here, just a brain fart. I multiplied 9 x .040" (I know .0394 is more accurate) and came up with .380" confused24.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Mar 4 2008, 07:13 PM) *

That is so needed...
Wanna send a prototype? .......

Maybe the second prototype. This one stays here.
swl
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 8 2008, 10:14 AM) *

QUOTE(swl @ Mar 8 2008, 08:28 AM) *

Had a blonde moment there - we are talking OD not ID. 9mm is actually .354"

No blonde problem here, just a brain fart. I multiplied 9 x .040" (I know .0394 is more accurate) and came up with .380" confused24.gif

The blonde moment was mine for forgetting about inside diameter and outside diameter. Being a blonde (no that is not grey!) I don't multiply I just grab an online metric conversion tool smile.gif. Regardless of the exact size my point is there is no concern about substituting imperial hardline for metric - it will be tighter.
ChrisFoley
ID is more important when it comes to fuel flow rates. The stainless lines also have a bigger ID (.305" and .242") than the oem plastic lines. smile.gif
slim72914
Great idea!!! you should throw one or two in with the SS fuel line kit! I spent about a half hour in Home Depot looking for 5/16 hose barbs and never found them! Luckily I am a machinist so I made some on the lathe.
Of the entire fuel pump relocation and SS fuel lines swap I did that stinkin adapter took the most brain power to figure out! Keep it up!
ClayPerrine
I just buy a 5/16 male hose barb and a 3/8 female hose barb. Then thread them together with some teflon tape..... biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 8 2008, 09:22 PM) *

I just buy a 5/16 male hose barb and a 3/8 female hose barb. Then thread them together with some teflon tape..... biggrin.gif

That's what I've been doing too.

The factory adapter hose is like $28.

Nice work Chris!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.