Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seam Sealer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scrz914
Pans are stripped and have a coat of POR15. I went to look for some sealer at FLAPS and all they had was a two-part sealer that needed an expensive ($65) tool to do the application. The Seam Sealer itself is $35 and would probably only do one side. The samples were pretty impressive though, self leveling and dries rock hard, but isn't there a brushable seam sealer out there?
Who's done this and what brand did you use?

Tony

Joe Owensby
I have used both brushable seam sealer as well as the kind that comes in a caulking gun type cartridge. Both of these worked well, although they did not level out to a smooth surface. One brand was 3M which I got at the automobile paint place, and the other was from NAPA. Both adhered very well, and could be painted over easily.
TeenerTim
The Eastwood Company
charliew
QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Mar 5 2008, 08:07 AM) *

Some seam sealers dry hard and some remain pliable. The hard ones usually eventually crack. I am not familiar with two part seam sealer. Normally two part is very good but expensive. I use 3m two part to glue fiberglass and different plastic parts together, they have many different applications. Buying a two part applicator is expensive but you will probably find many uses for it if you continue to work on cars. Go to a auto paint store and get a 3m catalogue. I also store all the adhesives in my shop refrigerator to keep them usuable as long as possible.
POR 15 is good but has to poorest shelf life of any product I use and is the hardest to work with. I do use many of their products though. I would use a pliable brushable seam sealer, you can wipe it (you might need either laquer thinner or mineral spirits) and make it look smooth.

I have used a lot of POR 15 and I am not sure if you will get any thing even seam sealer except their primer ( it's light blue) to stick to it after it dries.

Charliew
VaccaRabite
I used Eastwood's brush on seam sealer. Easy. But I was not concerned about CW finish.

Zach
brer
prime first with a good epoxy primer.

Then I used UltraPro.

if you're concerned with original finish you can texture over it later.

the 3M brushable stuff is junk compared to UltraPro and the like.

(according to my local Bodyshop guy)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.