Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Preferred CV and wheel bearing grease?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GS Guy
Looking for some preferences on CV joint and wheel bearing greases folks like to use. Getting ready to order some Swepco for the recently "Evil-ized" 914 trans, and thought I should pick up some good greases at the same time.

For the CV's I was planning on Swepco 101. Should I use the same for the wheel bearings? Or maybe redline for the WBs? Others? I've got some old Amsoil synthetic wheelbearing grease from a previous project - I might use that for the wheel bearings - unless folks here have a strong preference for other brands.

Any advise or opinions appreciated!
Jeff
jr91472
I have got a pile of Gulf grease tubes (Gulfcrown EP) that my brother and I found in my grand dad's garage after he died. Probably 50+ years old that i still use biggrin.gif

Actually, last time I packed my CV's, I was instructed to use Moly EP grease (black). Found it at Napa.

good luck
beer.gif
jcd914

For the last 10 years that I worked as a Porsche tech I used nothing but Swepco 101 for both CVs and wheel bearings and about anything else that needed grease. good stuff smile.gif
I have been at a desk job for the last 12 years and only turning wrenches intermittantly for Ron at IPB-Autosport in Sacramento. So there may be newer/better stuff out there but you can't go wrong with Swepco 101.

Jim
sww914
agree.gif
Swepco!
I always have 3 tubes open. 1 gritty grungy one for stuff like seat rails, 1 perfectly clean one for wheel bearings and CV's and the like, and 1 in the grease gun.
GS Guy
Thanks, I ordered a couple of tubes of 101 along with a gl. of tranny fluid from Paragon. I'll use the grease first on the CV's, if I have enough left I'll use it on the wheel bearings too. Otherwise, I found I've got plenty of Amsoil wheel bearing grease on hand, it should be fine on the bearings too.

Jeff
John
For track cars (and my turbo), I use KRYTOX GPL 216 and KRYTOX GPL 226 grease only. It is a bit expensive, but it really makes the bearings last.

Krieger
I use swepco 101 for everthing. I keep it in the grease gun. It's very easy to use for anything this way. I've used SWEPCO 201 in my trans for years. Also now SWEPCO is my motor oil. I need a freakin sticker!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.