Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Money Laundering via 914 Parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
E-Man
I saw one sell for $600 a couple of weeks ago and thought WTF, I have one in the garage that I'm not going to use. With my broken arm and the help of my daughter, I extracted the bar and other parts from the shed. We cleaned them up and posted the sway bar on E-Bay for $500. Right. How many bids did I get at that price? 0

It's only worth ~200. Well, anything is worth only what someone will pay for it (duh).

In a prior job I was required to do anti-money laundering research on investers. Because of this I learned how criminals (terrorists, and others) could transfer funds without being detected (or so they think). Do a Google search on 'hawala' and you will get an education.

Anyway, 16mm original rear sway bar and all the good bits are available on ebay now. I should have posted it here first but got suckered in by greed.
slackin' at work
a few years ago, over on the samba split window bug forums, someone was
placing want ads for parts. saying how hard they were to find and how rare they
must be. he would talk them up for a few weeks until there was a "buzz" about
them and then he would post his parts on ebay and watch the bidding war begin.

brilliant if you ask me. someone finally researched the guy and found out it was
the same dude selling parts that weren't all-that rare. it's all about perception.

and who know... maybe they guy changed his mind about selling the swaybar
and bid on it himself under another username to the point noone would want it.

E-Man
I suppose it does happen now and then. Seems silly to go through all that effort.

Brilliant? Save that for Guinness! laugh.gif
purple
Shoot, my car came with factory swaybars and the rear one just makes my tail-end slide out way too easy. mine's disconnected.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.