Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally! Some not shitty luck with the 2.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
So I had a pause from working on the trannies in my garage (yuk it up) and started goofing with my engine. The pin was stiff for sure. I tried to drive it all the way through so I could remove the piston (because I could not pull it out) and it couldnt go far enough to come out of the rod....dry.gif Now even more determined, I got out my trusty little hack saw and for 1.5 hrs I sawed through it. BIG FUN, but it worked.

I took the old pin and measured it against the two pins sent to me by Jeff (sixnotfour). They were all the same (DAMNIT!). So then I checked out the small end of the rod and the bore in the piston and found them to be wanting in smoothness. A little easy work and some 400 grit later and BINGO! It all fits like butter and I didnt have to do very much at all. Unfortunately, I broke a piston ring at the end of the sawing operation. It figures. $31 later and I am waiting for my new rings for assembly.

Finally! Things are starting to move towards being fixed. Now for the next unforeseen problem dry.gif
So.Cal.914
That's good news...You sawed thru the wrist pin?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 5 2008, 09:38 PM) *

That's good news...You sawed thru the wrist pin?

Ya. I sawed the end off so I cold push it out further and remove the piston.
So.Cal.914
That must have been fun, like cutting diamond? sad.gif
sww914
Dr, it's time to buy a die grinder and some cutoff wheels.
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Yo! Doc! Best get that rod sized before you put it back together. There's NO WAY you can make it right with sand paper. Period. Get the pin fit to the rod and relax in the knowledge it's right. We're talking hundred thousandths. The Cap'n
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 5 2008, 10:35 PM) *

Yo! Doc! Best get that rod sized before you put it back together. There's NO WAY you can make it right with sand paper. Period. Get the pin fit to the rod and relax in the knowledge it's right. We're talking hundred thousandths. The Cap'n

agree.gif

I'm with the captain on this one. Some things are just the most economical way you can possibly go.

Keep at it, I dig that you're doing it yourself and a 2.7 should make for a VERY fun 914... driving.gif

pete
Dr Evil
Die grinder would not fit in the space. I had to use one of those small hack saws that have the blade coming out of the handle.
So.Cal.914

I had to use one of those small hack saws that have the blade coming out of the handle.

Click to view attachment

Whoa, now you'll need to do another one with the other arm next week. That way

your arms will be the same size. Can you say burn?
Engman
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 6 2008, 02:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 5 2008, 10:35 PM) *

agree.gif

I'm with the captain on this one. Some things are just the most economical way you can possibly go.

Keep at it, I dig that you're doing it yourself and a 2.7 should make for a VERY fun 914... driving.gif

pete

I had the Capt'n do the ones on my 2L.

Important that the fit be made precisely to the piston.

Do not skimp on this step.

M

Dr Evil
Calling around today to see whats up.

Paul, I switched arms so one wouldnt be bigger than the other wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.