Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine tin, can it be removed with the motor in?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
I'm going to have a few things powder coated, plenium and some heater components. How much if any of the engine tin can be removed with the motor in the car?

Thanks,

Tod
r_towle
all of it can be removed with the motor in the car. It will take a really long time.
Its faster to remove the engine and then remove the tin with the motor out of the car.

Rich
SGB
I dunno if I agree. I think there are a few pieces that will ONLY come off after the engine is lowered. At any rate, the ones seen most easily when looking into the compartment (cylinder head cooling and flat pieces on each side) would be an enormous exercise to remove. In fact you would have to disconnect the motor mounts anyway, I think.
dw914er
life would probably be alot easier to just drop it out

alot more room at work with too
type47
in my opinion, there would be no time saved by leaving the engine in the car. having to work thru the engine compartment lid to remove the engine tin, leaning over the car barely able to get both shoulders into the opening and scratching the body paint with zippers and belt buckles is not easier than dropping the engine and removing all the parts more easily with engine out. but if you're going to leave it in, i don't think you have to remove the motor mounts as stated above, (if my memory is correct) but you are going to have to remove all the intake system.
r_towle
QUOTE(SGB @ Mar 6 2008, 04:47 PM) *

I dunno if I agree. I think there are a few pieces that will ONLY come off after the engine is lowered. At any rate, the ones seen most easily when looking into the compartment (cylinder head cooling and flat pieces on each side) would be an enormous exercise to remove. In fact you would have to disconnect the motor mounts anyway, I think.

As I stated, it is faster with the motor out of the car.

But...it can be done with the motor installed...every piece...
Take off front fan, take off fan assembly, take off intake and plenum...
Now you can get to the head tin, and all the little front pieces.
The rear piece can come out also.

Then you get the fun ones underneath....those suck anyways.

Rich
SGB
Y'okay. I guess my recollection was even worse than reality.
tod914
Thanks guys, being the plenium is already removed, was wondering if it was worth the hassle of trying to get the other parts off. Maybe I'll hold off on it until it needs a clutch job or something when the motor is dropped.
BenNC
Then consider how much harder it will be to put the tin back on. Removal is the "easy" part.
JeffBowlsby
I cannot believe you guys! confused24.gif Have any of you ever tried to remove the tin with the engine installed or are you just speculating?

I have done this very thing, removed all the tin, with the engine in the car and reinstalled it. It is not at all hard, and not as time consuming as you may think. The intake does need to be pulled, but the squirrel cage does not, if that was the fan referred to.

If you are just trying to clean up the engine bay Tod, you don't need to bother with the tin around the cylinders.

Pulling the drivetrain is not necessary, unless you just want to...then be prepared to find and fix more things 'while you are in there'...

grouphug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.