Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lightweight suggestion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
I seem to recall a thread mentioning that the 911 front cross member that atttaches to the rear of the A-arms and supports the steering rack is made from aluminum???

I do remember moving one of those steel ones the other day and it weighed probably 30 lbs....

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 12 2004, 06:34 PM)
is made from aluminum???

yupp, it sure is ...

Andy
URY914
Now you got me thinkin' ...

Paul
URY914
Alright, how much lighter is it???

Paul
L8Apex
I'm not sure, but it is light!

Paul, I think me and you are in the same boat, you are getting lighter for autoX, but I am getting lighter for door to door racing. hehe. I'll still be the heavier one, especially with the six.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 12 2004, 06:34 PM)
I seem to recall a thread mentioning that the 911 front cross member that atttaches to the rear of the A-arms and supports the steering rack is made from aluminum???

not 'the' cross-member. 'A' crossmember. specifically, from I-series 911 (1976) and newer, through maybe 1989 (maybe later). 911S and 912E. notably, NOT the 2,7 Carrera RS.

it -is- lighter. it is also a lot more flexible. (unlike the 911 rear trailing arms, where the aluminum parts were more rigid than the steel ones they replaced, for a double benefit ...) it is not a -lot- lighter, and the weight is just about as low in the chassis as you can get.

i was enamored of the aluminum crossmember until i researched it more. (a reference in Frere's '911 Story' led me to believe it was responsible for a suspension geometry change, but in fact it is identical, dimensionally, to the steel ones, and the geometry change was made to the I-Series tub...). if you're into lightness for its own sake, you might save a pound or two. i prefer to retain rigidity in my front steering and suspension, and the 20 lbs i can "easily" take off the driver are located much higher in the chassis...

911.341.013.10 if you want to track it through the years ...
URY914
I agree that the weight is as about as low as possible in the car.
Unless it is free I won't looking to change mine to aluminum.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.