Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW Porsche decal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
schreiber
After looking thru some of the older threads, (and having limited success), I decided I'd go ahead and ask: What is the history/ originality of the '914-VW-Porsche' decal? The attached picture is the one that really caught my attention in the first place.
Jake

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(schreiber @ Mar 7 2008, 11:53 AM) *

What is the history/ originality of the '914-VW-Porsche' decal?

I'm not sure i understand the question? confused24.gif

The 914 was manufactured and sold under the umbrella of the VW-Porsche Vertriebsgesellschaft, founded in 1969 for the sole purpose of making/selling the 914 and staffed with about 50/50 former Porsche and VW employees.

Hence the Emblems:

914-4 = 914-VW-Porsche
914-6 = 914-6-VW-Porsche

bye1.gif Andy
ws91420
In the USA it was marketed as a Porsche only. In Europe it was marketed under VW-Porsche
schreiber
I'm wondering why some shipped with a "914" decal, while others shipped with "914 VW-Porsche" decals.
ws91420
QUOTE(schreiber @ Mar 7 2008, 07:52 PM) *

I'm wondering why some shipped with a "914" decal, while others shipped with "914 VW-Porsche" decals.

People have added the VW-Porsche on US spec cars

US spec= Porsche
Europe spec= VW-Porsche

schreiber
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Mar 7 2008, 07:03 PM) *

QUOTE(schreiber @ Mar 7 2008, 07:52 PM) *

People have added the VW-Porsche on US spec cars

US spec= Porsche
Europe spec= VW-Porsche

THATS what i was looking for!
Thanks!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 7 2008, 06:41 PM) *

I think what "really" caught your eye was the rear fog light. wink.gif

"The horror....the horror"
scotty b
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 7 2008, 06:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 7 2008, 06:41 PM) *

I think what "really" caught your eye was the rear fog light. wink.gif

"The horror....the horror"

IT"S NOT A TUMOR !!

ahblain
For what its worth 70% of the total production of 914s were sold in the US. And the these US spec versions had the Porsche crest on the steering wheel and "Porsche" on the engine grille, whereas the rest of the world got the Wolfsburg crest on the steering wheel and hub caps, nothing on the engine grill and "VW+Porsche" on the back end. Gee, I wonder why the rest of the world shunned the 914?

When compared, the 924, which was sold as a Porsche everywhere, never matched the 914's total production. But the rest of the world bought them, while the US market only bought 30% of them. Which leads one to ask, if the 914 had been sold world wide as a Porsche, how many more would the rest of the world have bought???
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ahblain @ Apr 1 2008, 09:26 PM) *

For what its worth 70% of the total production of 914s were sold in the US. And the these US spec versions had the Porsche crest on the steering wheel and "Porsche" on the engine grille, whereas the rest of the world got the Wolfsburg crest on the steering wheel and hub caps, nothing on the engine grill and "VW+Porsche" on the back end. Gee, I wonder why the rest of the world shunned the 914?

When compared, the 924, which was sold as a Porsche everywhere, never matched the 914's total production. But the rest of the world bought them, while the US market only bought 30% of them. Which leads one to ask, if the 914 had been sold world wide as a Porsche, how many more would the rest of the world have bought???

What! It wasn't sold as an Audi-Porsche?

I am one of the people who bought an early 924 ('76). It was slow and very nimble. I enjoyed autocrossing it, because it handled so well.

I'd compare it to a four banger 914, though a little more of a slouch. Enjoyed it for 2 years, until a perv on drugs decided to back up onto the hood with an F250. Was never quite the same again - so I sold it.

Oh, I almost forgot! I rigged it so the built-in rear fogs worked.

There, I have a purpose in this, uhmm, thread.

Thing about it was, i didn't have to bolt on a bumblebutt thing for the rear fog. Was actually built in from the beginning - using existing lenses. Looked nice too, without it looking like something from JC Whitney.

You guys knew I was too quiet for too long!
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 5 2008, 05:34 PM) *

i didn't have to bolt on a bumblebutt thing for the rear fog

You're cruising for a bruising Mr. mad.gif

Anyone up for a blanket party in Charlotte? biggrin.gif

Ok boys - I'm ready for you. I can swing a pillowcase with bars of soap in it with the best ( I was in the Amty - know how it works). Whoops - forgot! Charlotte is out for me - moving this year.

Yeah, well you guys would have been sorry anyway. Ever get whalopped on the head by a bar of soap. It definitely rings your bell - big time!
Pat
mel reckling
Euro spec 72
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(schreiber @ Mar 7 2008, 05:52 PM) *

Those aren't "decals", they're "badges". Decals are thin plastic "transfers", which adhere to the smooth surface after being wetted and applied. Badges are metal or plastic, affixed in this case with little pins and clips. In some applications, glue or double sided tape is used. The Cap'n
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 20 2008, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(schreiber @ Mar 7 2008, 05:52 PM) *

Those aren't "decals", they're "badges". Decals are thin plastic "transfers", which adhere to the smooth surface after being wetted and applied. Badges are metal or plastic, affixed in this case with little pins and clips. In some applications, glue or double sided tape is used. The Cap'n

"Badges? We don need no stinkin badges" You HAD to know this was coming, Crustmeister!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.