Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru Diesel Boxer Engine Announced
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TeenerTim
IPB Image
Subaru has been working on a diesel version of their beloved boxer engine, and will be displaying it at the Geneva motor show in two new models.

The Legacy sedan and Outback wagon will be available with the world's first boxer diesel powerplant in Europe, before going on sale in 'other' parts of the world. Subaru says that the engine architecture allows for a lowered centre of gravity and nimble handling that's uncharacteristically agile for a diesel vehicle. Engineers have even gone so far as to mount the turbocharger beneath the block, further lowering the centre of gravity in the name of handling.

The horizontally opposed pistons cancel out each other's vibrations, meaning that the harshness commonly associated with the diesel engine is largely absent.

The diesel engine is promised to set a standard in all-wheel-drive fuel efficiency- enhanced by a power steering pump that is run by electricity as opposed to an engine-driven setup. The diesel boxer engine complies with Euro 4 emissions standards as well.

The two-liter common-rail engine delivers 158 horsepower and 258 lb.-ft of torque. No word on whether or not it will come to Canada just yet.
VaccaRabite
I have been waiting for this for a long time. in 2006 it was supposed to be DSM in 2008. Now they are saying 2009 or 2010.

If that is the case, I will be looking to replace my current Suby about the time that this becomes an American option. Hopefully, the 2009/2010 suby line up will not be a god awful ugly as the 2008 redesign. I mean, I like ugly cars and all (I drive a Suby and a 914, after all.) But there is ugly, and then there is UGLY.

Zach
Dr Evil
Me wants it..
Brando
It will give me a reason to upgrade from my 2056...
Lou W
Soon thereafter, the "donors" will be available. biggrin.gif
lotus_65
speaking of diesels (and donors)...

one of my favorite sites...
Scott Carlberg
For those of you that might be interested, there is a pretty good article in the current/April 2008 issue of European Car on Diesel engines.
effutuo101
I read that this motor config is possible of getting 50+MPG in the Legacy. The potential is 60mpg. If that is true, this might be a 750 mile per fill up car. That is what makes me happy. It isn't the price of gas that bothers me, it's that our car in stock trim got 28 mpg+ in the 4 (personal average of 33) and 35 years of technology has increased the hp (and not a whole bunch), but not the mileage.
Boxeer
More frequent updates on this Facebook Page:

http://www.facebook.com/subarudiesel

Also, I just got 12 pristine engines!! low hour sales for $4995 and Zero hour for $7200. they come with starter, fuel filter and ECU main connector wires for ease of installation!

Standard delivery cost is $375 to your door step.

http://boxeer.com/ee20_parts

Thanks

Greg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.