ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 12 2004, 07:59 PM)
How the heck can that even happen???

"AC/Delco" ...
JeffBowlsby
Any head damage?

JB
Gary
Look at pic 29. Looks like that plug hole is toast.
Bleyseng
Time to have that welded back up....yikes!

Geoff
Kevin@ojai.net
Yea, the hole has similar melt damage as the plug. Last night when I first discovered this problem I put in a different plug. The plug threaded in effortlessly. I fired her up, and she ran on all 4, but it didn't sound quite right, almost like a knock, but not... This afternoon I fire her up again, SHWOOSH, SHWOOSH, with 3 cyls firing and the 4th coming & going every few revs... Well, I guess that answered my question about the head. I couldn't see a thing from looking in, so I took about 15 or so pictures of the hole. I got one picture that had enough light and I could see the damage (the picture I uploaded). Looks like I'll have to pull the head (again) and fix/replace it depending on how it looks after CLOSE inspection.

I also took the plug around to a few different shops I know around town today. All but one of the shop owners said "Shit, I've never seen one like that before..." The local VW/import (not rice) shop owner put on his reading glasses, looked it over for a few seconds, and said "Yea, I've seen something like that before." I'll let you guys guess on what could have caused it before I say what John (shop owner) said he thought could have caused this.

FUN, FUN, FUN!

Any one notice these cars lead to beer3.gif?

-Kevin
Gary
Looking at the plug, I'd guess the badness started at the junction between the insulator and threads. Over time, combustion gasses through the body of plug and - ugly.

Close? BTW, what brand plug? I've always been partial to NGKs.
Kevin@ojai.net
By close inspection, I meant careful inspection. I guess I wasn't really clear. They were Delco's...

-Kevin
rick 918-S
OMG! Thats going to leave a mark!
McMark
The heads had previously had the threads galled (missing parts of the threads) and that lead to a combustion leak which over time (a few minutes?) burned that hole. If you had caught it while it was running you might have seen the flame jet shooting out.
Kevin@ojai.net
My local VW expert told me that he has seen a couple plugs that looked just like mine come out of T4's over the years. He said it all starts with a small crack in the head which gasses are forced through. Soon this crack starts to grow and the SP hole and the plug turn into the melted mess I carried into his shop. Nothing I can do about it now though...

-Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.