Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: porsche drifting?!?!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dw914er
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YxErY3wJ6U0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YxErY3wJ6U0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

i saw him at the iwrindale speedway last thanksgiving for the d1 championships in his beautiful 911 (halfway through the vid is the inital practice and tune up earlier that week at irwindale)

thought you guys might like to see some different type of motorsports going on

(my dream, a wicked 914 drift car (if i can work out the mid engine drifting style))

enjoy
dw914er
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YxErY3wJ6U0

that works better
pete914
that thing is insane. good driver.
biosurfer1
thats something i've never seen, excellent video. drifting really isnt my thing, but I sure do have respect for the driving!
John
Those guys must really hate those tires. av-943.gif

I said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, I MUST be a geezer because I simply don't get it. Way, Way too ricer for me.
Lou W
QUOTE(John @ Mar 7 2008, 08:12 PM) *

Those guys must really hate those tires. av-943.gif

I said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, I MUST be a geezer because I simply don't get it. Way, Way too ricer for me.

agree.gif
KaptKaos
Reminds me of break dancing for some reason. lol2.gif
dw914er
i think it is pretty interesting

the idea is to race, and have good lines, but while trying to have the car on the brink of control

it was actually quite a sight to see in real life, much more exciting in my mind compared to something like nascar

though the ricer element is kinda there (it is a sport born in japan) but because d1 limits only to rwd powered cars (or awd converted to rwd) cars like civics and integras are excluded)
rusty914
my traction control is broken:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woqiFrnZqvE
driving.gif
dw914er
that would be crazy to have that power in a beetle

lucky it had a 915 tranny, i dont think the stock one would have survived

lol
yarin
That monster tail dragger must make 800hp. Listen to that turbo spool!! Must make for a sick track monster. Poooor tires.
sww914
I really wish that I didn't think that that was a little bit cool.
Borderline
Why do they put a wing on the rear of a drift car? Don't they want to spin the tires? confused24.gif
John
I hope they don't allow that in California.

Think of the toxic crap being emitted into the air with all that tire smoke.

I'm sure some of it must be known by the state of California to cause some sort of cancer in some species of something.

Someone should write to the California legislature about this problem of epidemic proportions.

poke.gif
PeeGreen 914
Just not a real fan of this. Your not on the brink of losing control with this. I would think you really have more control as you are already loose. You just steer with the throttle. Yes, more amusing than NASCAR but still sad.gif
alpha434
For me, it's not about in or out of control, or style, or whatever the hibbity dibbity.

It's that drifting is slower than just driving the car. /argument.

I can't believe that so many people get psyched to go half speed around the track. And kids my age get into that worthless trash. And then they don't get any realistic data about what a load of crap it really is.

If you really want to drift, you should gear up a car for 3d and join the good old NASA.
Lou W
I don't get it, I thought the idea of "racing" is to get to the finish line the quickest, all they're doing is sliding around trying to look cool. I think it's more like ballet than actual racing. confused24.gif
championgt1
What a waist of a good car. That car should be run at about 150 or 160 mph and then try to outbrake someone at turn 1.
PBritain
that car also does track days, they can swap it from drift to grip in less than 30 minutes.

its devastatingly fast on the track too. i remember seeing a vid of it at vir i think....unbelievable.

i will try to find video.
DrifterJay
In my opinion...if you stick the majority of professional level drifters in a track car for DE/autox purposes they will spank most other drivers with years of experience. They know and understand the threshold of their vehicle better than most drivers, therefore can push it that much farther...I dont know, my 2 cents...

just a video of some local socal privateer drifters that drive their cars to the events...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO4dje-zTL0

horse thief mile..

3rd or 4th gear initiations.
PeeGreen 914
I going to have to say that is a load of BS dry.gif

I have seen drifters come to AX events thinking they are the coolest... until they run and see how slow their times are in comparison to everyone elses.

You keep telling yourself that though wink.gif
DrifterJay
I do not feel like having a forum battle, so in typical Jared fashion...FUCK OFF!!! lol.. ( no offense intended, I just needed to be the immature child here, therefore elevating your position on the subject matter).
dw914er
if i remember correctly, many of the American drift drivers started of on indy and nascar circuits, ect
-im not sure about the jap drivers, i think they just started out racing or drifting

i cant remember, but i think tyler, the driver of that 993, was a track driver beforehand (hes also a really nice guy, and gave me a pair of the rear tires (of course i don't have the rims to match idea.gif ))

drifting, as in its origin, was a battle down the mountains of japan, and usually the power slide made it more difficult, and sometimes made it even faster

but either if you like it or not, its still a new, innovate form of a motorsport, and it gaining some momentum in america, and it is always cool to see the evolution of any motorsport

-also, for those who have pushed a 911 to a power slide, you know how hard it is not to spin out, so tyler def. has some good car control (same goes with a mid engine car, just because of the weight transfer)

also, just like any sports game, or any race, it is always cooler to see live (and the bikini contest beforehand wasn't bad either lol)
scotty b
WTF ? Can't something be FUN without making any sense ? Have any of you ever had a car sideways and pulled out of it? It's FUN It's a rush, it shows you know how to handle a car. Go out and turn a f-in wrench and quit bickering over some people having FUN
dw914er
agree.gif

i really do suggest, if you are in irwindale thanksgiving weekend, or any part of so cal, you should come out and check out the event

(i will admit, there are alot of the 'ricer' types there to watch it, but the actual event was spectacular)
r_towle
Try ice racing.
Drifting pales in comparison.

I think that those drifting drivers are really quite talented.
They get within a few feet of the other car and then both switch direction and hold the skid at the same time...that is not simple.

I am surprised that more cars dont hit each other versus hitting the wall.

Rich
John
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 8 2008, 01:28 PM) *

Try ice racing.
Drifting pales in comparison.

I think that those drifting drivers are really quite talented.

Rich

I would agree, IF you were referring to MOTORCYCLE ice racing. Those guys are animals.
Porcharu
QUOTE(dw914er @ Mar 7 2008, 03:09 PM) *

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YxErY3wJ6U0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YxErY3wJ6U0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

i saw him at the iwrindale speedway last thanksgiving for the d1 championships in his beautiful 911 (halfway through the vid is the inital practice and tune up earlier that week at irwindale)

thought you guys might like to see some different type of motorsports going on

(my dream, a wicked 914 drift car (if i can work out the mid engine drifting style))

enjoy

Just don't do it! biggrin.gif Drifting is just plain wrong - and stupid!
dw914er
i have to build one, its another excuse to have another 914

dont worry, i want the concourse 914-4, the 914-6, then the monster auto 914-6 (thinking either a mild 2.4, or 3.0) , and then the watercooled sti powered 914, and maybe, build another 914-6 turbo for the drifting (or the subie), and so on

and of course, keep the family owned 914 daily driver, which i have now

(mind everyone, these are just the 914s (and i tend to be a purist too) i want to build (i love classic american cars, so that list is even longer, and pretty specific too)

i'm young, i think i will dream big lol

(i know most of the cars i want to build, i now need a way to make the money to do them)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.