Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 73 914 2.0l
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thon3720
I have a 73 2.0l with stock FI. I got the car after it has been sitting for about 10 yrs. After gettting it to run I changed the oil, cap, plug wires, plugs, and fuel filter. The car starts and runs every day but after 50-100 miles it starts to run rough and looses power. It still will start every day without trouble and idles fine. The only item the previous owner replaced that he thought was the problem was the pressure sensor. Any help would be appreciated.
dw914er
mine will idle a bit rough (low) after it gets pretty warmed up, but that is because i have the fuel pump in the stock location, so it tends to suffer from vapor lock
ejm
but after 50-100 miles it starts to run rough and looses power

Could be fuel starvation. There is a screen in the bottom of the tank on the fuel outlet. Look throught the filler hole with a strong flashlight and see if there's a lot of sediment in the tank.

mine will idle a bit rough (low) after it gets pretty warmed up, but that is because i have the fuel pump in the stock location, so it tends to suffer from vapor lock

Vapor lock causes hard starting because heat creates bubbles in the fuel. Your low idle is most likely something else.
dflesburg
Have you tested your fuel pressure. Should be 28 psi but in hotter climates up to 31psi would be acceptable. Could be anything from weak pump, bad MPS or clogged filter.

good luck
hi4head
In the title to your note you mention "fouling plugs".

Have you taken them out and looked at them? How do they look and does each look similar? (i.e. wet, black and sooty, dry and brown, etc.)

Chris
73Phoenix20
Sounds like something is causing the "Brain" to go rich after warmup...

Cylinder Head Temp Sensor???

Manifold Air Pressure Sensor???

Check those out first....
Rand
How would running rough and fouling plugs be caused by fuel starvation or low fuel pressure or bad pump or clogged fuel filter? Wouldn't those be more likely to cause a lean mixture? I would think the symptoms mentioned would be more likely to be caused by the opposite.

Rich mixture things to check would be:
Does the MPS hold a vacuum?
Is MPS vacuum hose in good shape and connected properly?
Temp sensors good?
CSV leaky?
Fuel pressure too high? (over 30psi?)

And Ben, I agree with Ed on the vapor lock issue. wink.gif
Jeffs9146
Have you taken them out and looked at them? How do they look and does each look similar? (i.e. wet, black and sooty, dry and brown, etc.)

agree.gif

Step #1 check the plugs
Step #2 check the points
Step #3 check the filters/screens
Step #4 check vacume lines
Step #5 check CHTS
Step #6 keep checking stuff!! beer.gif
dw914er
ahh, yea, the hard start

i am thinking of recently, with my fi leak on the intake runners, those are causing that

(dont worry, i am going to fix them next week when i am back in town)
Rand
To the original poster, thon3720: Your car sat ten years, and your symptoms aren't too bad - replace the rubber hoses that have deteriorated, starting with the MPS hose. And vacuum test that MPS. (Simple to do with a "mityvac" or such.... Just pull a vacuum on it and see if it holds.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.