Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: intake runner paint prep
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
ive seen pics of ya'lls engines all shiny and purdy and with REALLY smooth intake runners.

what's the best procedure in painting them and getting a really smooth finish on the pipes?
914Sixer
I beadblasted mine before I painted them with engine enamel. Give me a call or bring them over.

830-755-4755
type47
powdercoat with a grey paint close to a VW color
DanT
bead blasted and repainted using 356 engine grey.
Cevan
Bead blasted, then Dupli-color engine primer and paint.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
StratPlayer
Stripped old paint, cleaned then powdercoated the color of the car.
stateofidleness
whats best/cleanest way to strip old paint?
StratPlayer
I used some Jasco, can get it a home depot. Once old paint was stripped gave it a light sanding then painted.
r_towle
what is the correct color?
Are the tubes supposed to be a different color than the aluminum flange portion??

And the color, where do you get the proper paint (rattle can if possible)

Rich
Rand
Make it clean and smooth, and paint! Choose your method....

Do you want to do it yourself or send it out?

If the latter, send it to a place that will dip it and powder coat it. Powder coating flows real nice. Done deal.

Prep is key.

You can do it yourself with sandpaper and cleaning. Final clean with the thinner that matches your paint. Seriously, simple.... Make it smooth with sandpaper, clean it up well with thinner, let it dry, prime it, paint it. Smoothness will depend on how fine your final sandpaper grit was. And some paints are more forgiving/filling than others.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.