Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heat exchangers (a stumper)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
stock 2.0 in steel

or

sshe 1.7/1.8

??

popcorn[1].gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 8 2008, 06:36 AM) *

stock 2.0 in steel

or

sshe 1.7/1.8

??

popcorn[1].gif

stock 2.0 quieter keeps the 2.0 car original, able to use the great factory 2.0 heat muffler, easy to seal to the head, the way we drive our cars these days lasts a long time. 1.7 stainless, loud, hard to seal to the head, uses the smaller 1.7 type muffler and weaker muffler bracket, stainless has same id as stock 2.0 lasts forever.
Bleyseng
1.7l SSI's flow better
jimkelly
i do not think ID on 2.0 steel he's is same as 1.7 sshe's - in fact I 100% don't think so. i know for a fact that 1.7 sshe vs 1.7 steel are different.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...blogid=312&
r_towle
yah, but which one weighs more??? That would be part of the equation.

Rich
dw914er
when i had to replace my heat exchangers, i was recommended to use the 2 litre for my 1.7 (i also was able to get a really good deal for my steel 2lts ones)

makes a better sounds too, and the bracket for the the 2lt is better than the 1.7
Rand
Dammit, I wish someone would post a final end all to this debate. Over the years I have read many different "finally conclusive" statements about the best flowing exhaust. Some say the 1.7 SS has the largest ID. Others say the 2.0 flows better. (or vice versa) Maybe it is so close it doesn't matter, but why is it the debate is unresolvable?

Good thing I don't care about heat, because headers flow best! tongue.gif
jimkelly
the answer - i believe is - in order of good to goodest.

good - 1.7/1.8 steel

gooder - 2.0 steel

more gooder - 1.7/1.8 stainless

even more gooder - 2.0 stianless

goodest - header from tangerine biggrin.gif
dw914er
headers are pretty amazing, and you get a good deep drone at 4 grand, that i absolutely love

(ot at least the 1.8 headers i had did that)

but the heater, and defroster, were too important to me so i went back the heat exchangers (the 2.0 though still sound good, and do have good flow)
Eric_Shea
The $600 SSHE's flow much better than the $300 SSHE's. biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.